Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy6421

Stain color for rustic hickory kitchen cabinets

kathy6421
9 years ago

I'm trying to decide if I should just do a clear coat or a stain on our rustic hickory cabinets. We are going with Sherwin Williams stain.
If anyone has rustic hickory cabinets with a SW stain, could you post a photo and what color it is?
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

We used SW chestnut stain on our hickory cabinets.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the chestnut color, but it's a tad dark and looks like it's on regular hickory, not rustic hickory. I'd like the grain to show through. Anyone else have a SW stain on rustic hickory cabinets?

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 13:44

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

We put rustic hickory cabinets in my previous home. Loved them. Clear coat, no stain. I agree with gladys1924. Why get that lovely wood and hide most of the character with stain?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to do a lighter stain that would still show the grain. I don't care for really light cabinets and I'm thinking a medium to lighter stain would warm them up and still show the grain. I'm looking for a lighter, sort of dull tan that would hopefully make them look slightly aged or weathered. I've seen some with a light amber color that was very nice, but I'm having a hard time finding a SW color like it.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

Kathy, I believe you're right. Now that I think about it, I believe our cabinets were premium hickory. Our cabinet maker hand selected the wood to be more uniform. We chose hickory because of the hardness and durability. Our floors, however, are rustic hickory and we left them natural with a matte Glitsa finish.

• jess1979
    9 years ago

These are all wood rustic hickory cabinets for the stain it is natural. I hope this helps you.

• jess1979
    9 years ago

Here is a close up.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

One thing I learned when I was limited to SW stains is that they have some colors around that are no longer shown on their displays. If you have any hickory scraps around, you can take them into an SW store, find a sales person who has been around a long time, and enlist their help with suggestions and samples on your wood. If you have a photo of what you want, even better.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

In a previous kitchen, SW was very helpful in assisting me with a stain. They ultimately did a custom stain for me at no additional charge. Great to work with.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up choosing Minwax Colonial Maple and I'm wondering if I should have gone with Golden Oak. I can't change it anymore, but Golden Oak seems more muted brownish(which I think is what I wanted?), whereas Colonial Maple seems orangish. Does anyone have a lighter wood(such as hickory or white oak) stained with Colonial Maple? I can't seem to find a photo of it to get an idea of what it will look like. I did a tiny sample on a hickory board, but it's not enough to really see what it will look like.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner