Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison443_gw

extreme budget kitchen re-do

allison443
16 years ago

I need to redo a kitchen in a lake house on an extreme budget. Current cabinets are faux wood laminate in dark brown with avocado trim, and peach colored laminate counters. The cabinets are falling apart. Drawers are broken. I was thinking of getting the in-stock cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot. They will not be getting very heavy use. Ikea might be too modern-the house (except for the kitchen!) is a tuscan style-wood, iron, rich colors.

Has anyone used these in-stock cabinets? I am not expecting great quality but adequate would be nice! TIA

Comments (16)

• clg7067
    16 years ago

I was using some of the instock Oak cabinets from Lowes until I got my custom maple cabinets from Scherrs.

They were sturdy and cheap. I only had wall cabinets and they held up fine for the year I used them as my pantry with plenty of heavy objects. I'm sure they would have gone the distance if I had kept them. I just wanted some different configurations and, of course, frameless. :)

I was eyeing the faux maple in-stock cabinets at Lowes. They look pretty nice. And would look even nicer with a little crown molding at the top.

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

we used the HD mills pride in stock cabinets for our previous house and they were nice...we did have to carefully inspect the doors before buying to make sure we got nice ones... but they were in stock so that was possible. in our area, they have discontinued these and have preassembled cabs. i have seen some broken in the store so they don't look as good to me. however, i was considering the lowes preassembled in stock cabs for a property and they actually look very nice! i thought the maple might look ok, especially if you put a glaze over the existing finish. i would recommend those. ikea is also good, but if you have a truck to transport them, you can't beat preassembled. good luck! kren

• DYH
    16 years ago

A kitchen in a lake house, now that's SO exciting to me! What an opportunity to have some fun! I would think outside the (cabinet) box! :-) How about an unfitted kitchen?

I would find a sink cabinet base for your sink of choice with a good durable countertop that works with your decor preferences.

I'd include enough extra base cabinets to accomodate at least 2 feet on each side of it (or one side for a dw if that's part of the plan). Our sink area is 8ft wide and includes a pull-out trash and pull-out can pantry on the left and a dishwasher on the right. It's plenty of "wet" counter space for around a large sink.

Then, I'd look at repurposing other types of furniture -- bookcases, dressers and tables to make up the other cabinets. I'd be free with the paint colors, too. Maybe a barn red or a pale yellow, or French blue milk paint.

How about 2 matching glass front bookcases? If other folks are using your vacation home, then they can easily see where everything is without rummaging through the cabinets.

You will probably spend $300-800 per bookcase (or even a hutch) if you shop around. Try a World Market, Pier One, Crate and Barrel, or unfinished furniture shops.

In one, put food (it's up off the ground and completely closed up so that when you aren't there, critters and bugs are less likely to intrude). Two sections of our food pantry are like hutches with 12" deep top shelves. Plenty of space.

In the other, put your dishes and glassware. 12" deep shelves will hold standard 9-10" plates. Three or four shelves will hold plates and bowls, coffee cups, glasses.

Beside a range or as an island, I'd consider a stainless steel table or cutting board table like used in a restaurant with open shelves below for pots and pans. Target has a stainless top wooden cart with drawers and open shelves for $250.

Open shelves for a wall are available everywhere these days, too for low prices. Trailrunner has the white Pottery Barn shelves in her kitchen for dishes.

For drawer space, a dresser can be used, or add another base cabinet of drawers.

Just some thoughts. Please pardon my excitement, but I can visualize such a kitchen so easily!

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I share wonbyherwits excitement! What about a utility sink that hangs on the wall with a skirt? I've seen them with integral drainboards. So cute. Also, check ebay for an old hoosier cabinet. We had one of these in our mountain cabinet when I was a kid. The metal/porcelein top was very useful, and the cabinet had tons of storage.

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Lots of great ideas! I love open shelving. And check out the garage/shed. An old workbench, cleaned up a bit, can make a lovely island or prep space. Simple wood countertops, or formica-topped slabs, over bookcases, odd cabinets, even "upscale" sawhorses, can look wonderful

If you do want some built-ins, give Ikea another look. They do have traditional-style options - not just modern. Take a looked at their framed cabinet options.

If you're on a budget, there's no better deal to be found than IKEA (except used), IMO. The quality of the cabinets and hardware will easily meet or exceed what you will find at the big box stores and many "extras" are standard at Ikea.

• fightingoverfinishes
    16 years ago

Check Craigs List for used cabinets. I was looking for one cabinet and found so many people doing remodels and getting rid of entire kitchens full of (what I thought were) beautiful cabinets for a few hundred dollars.

• creekylis
    16 years ago

I have Lowe's stock oak and they are totally fine. No probs at all.

• User
    16 years ago

I love what Cameron suggested. I don't know if you are under time, as well as budget, constraints. But if you have the time and are inclined to want to find those unfitted pieces, I think you'll have a unique and charming space for not too much money. Love the idea of the cart with the stainless top - it would afford you valuable prep space, and I doubt you'd be able to build one for less than $250.

• pcjs
    16 years ago

Kraftmaid has an outlet in Ohio if you are anywhere near there or want to take an adventure and can be flexable about style/color/sizes. People have had really good luck there and they usually run $100 or so a cabinet but if you don't live close, the travel expenses could knock out the savings. (I tried to talk my husband into it but he wouldn't go for it).

• xoxosmom
    16 years ago

We have Lowes in-stock cabinets in our current house. We have used the cabinets for almost three years with no problems. At the time of remodel we were in a hurry, DIY and had a extreme budget since we basically gutted the house.

Good Luck.

• allison443
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OP here!
    Wow, everyone, thanks for the great responses! I'm glad to hear the stock cabinets are fine. I can't get to Ohio for the Kraftmaid but I will check out Craigslist!
    The unfitted idea is very intriguing. I am definitely going to look for a glass-front cabinet (hadn't thought of a bookcase before!) to show some antique colorful bowls. And I like the idea of open shelves, too!
    You all have given me lots to think about! Thank you!

• divamum
    16 years ago

I can definitely recommend Craigslist. Granted, I was EXTREMELY lucky - just happened to check on the right days, I guess - but I got my KM cabinets (used but excellent condition), Cambria quartz countertop complete with Blanco undermount sink (used but in like-new condition), stove, otr mw and 18" dw (all new w/warrantee cards) for a grand total of $2400.

You have to check pretty much every day, but if you're lucky you CAN score some decent stuff.

Good luck with it!

• DYH
    16 years ago

I ran across this "design your own kitchen cart/island" on Montgomery Ward's website. I have NO idea about their quality, but look at all the colors (red, black, yellow, white, oak, natural) and combinations of top choices (stainless, wood, black granite, b&w granite).

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: design your own colors and counters

• DYH
    16 years ago

Well, there on page 22 of my Budget Decorating Magazine is a Montgomery Wards "supersaver" discount of 15%. Here's the link on Wards' website.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: discount from BD Mag

• gshop
    16 years ago

W have used both the HD Millspride and Lowes pre-assembled with great success! The HD cabinets are in garage. We originally received a couple cabinets with bad doors. I called Millspride & they responded immediately and shipped new doors, great customer service. HD doesn't display them at the store anymore, but you can special order. The Lowes cabinets are located above the washer/dryer. Good Luck!

• Fori
    16 years ago

Don't rule out Ikea because they're modern--they have a rustic pine cabinet style that might be just right.

Here is a link that might be useful: