Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thepaintedlady_gw

banquette table size question

thepaintedlady_gw
12 years ago

Is there some kind of formula for figuring out how large of a table you can put with a particular size of a banquette?

Comments (8)

• cplover
    12 years ago

I wish! I am having the same dilemma. I have heard you want a few inches of over hang onto the seating area, but I have not hear a precise number. Also it depends on the shape of your banquette and what shape of table you want. We have an L-shaped banquette so we have opted for trying to find a rectangular shaped table without legs (either pedestal or trestle base) so that way it is easy to make it around that L-shape bend without hitting table legs. But it has been a real project trying to find a semi-affordable table that means those criteria AND our size limitations. Good luck!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

As Newbie mentioned, you want the table to overhang the bench below by at least a few inches. Restaurant booths and tables are usually built for a 6" overhang, although some strangely place their benches to get more or less floor coverage so YMMV at your local restaurant. I've also heard some less-commercial type designers suggest a 3" overhang.

Our last banquette had about a 6" overhang. I like this better. Our new one will have the same. Think about what would be comfortable for you. How far under the table do you scoot yourself when you sit at a regular chair and table? That's a good guideline to go by as you can't scoot your "chair" under the table when you're sitting on a bench.

The overhang for the rest of the table is what you'd aim for with any dining table. The width of the table should follow standard table width guidelines.

Newbie!!! Glad to see you back. I've been wondering how things were coming along for you! How do yu like your prep sink? Sorry to go off topic, Painted Lady.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm.

Thanks!

Yea, finding a pedestal or trestle table has been a bear. I refuse to pay more for my kitchen table than I paid for my stickley dining table.

Maybe I'm a bad shopper.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

What kind of table are you looking for? What about buying a metal base and having a top made of wood or stone? Or even finding a wood worker to build the whole thing?

• thepaintedlady_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy, I'm looking for a rectangular table because it's a very narrow space.

Also we're just moving into the house now after a few months of renovations and we're planing on getting to the kitchen next winter (2012) so I'm hesitant to buy a good table (or custom table) for the space.

I have a few old IKEA tables and I might shove it into the corner - or just keep an eye on craigslist.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Always remember Craigslist for inexpensive and sometimes very, very nice dining/kitchen tables. I got mine--a trestle rectangled top table (oak though), for $150 with 6 chairs. People have a tough time selling large furniture pieces on CL, and so their prices are very affordable. Some will even deliver if you ask (mine did).

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Sometimes unfinished furniture stores will have different options for table top sizes and different bases...especially for pedestal tables. Hope that helps :)