Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

Backsplash Tiling Question

caseykees
9 years ago

I am almost finished painting the walls in my kitchen. I have a window centered above my sink with a cabinet on each side. I currently have the top and side casing off because there was like a 1/2 of "wall" between the cabinet and the casing that would have been impossible to paint. Plus, I need to sand the casing and repaint it. I have 2 questions.

1. Should I wait to put the casing back up till AFTER I tile my backsplash, or does the tile stay the recommended distance away and I caulk it like the area near the countertop.

2. Can I remove the lower casing under the window sill, leave it off, and just tile the entire area under the sill or would that look silly??

Thanks, you guys are so helpful! :)

Kathy

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Picture please?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will only be tiling up to the bottom of the cabinets, and then over to the window casing.

We need a new window, but I am having problems finding someone who wants to do just one. I am not afraid to DIY almost anything, but don't feel comfortable trying to do a window.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I think I'd replace the casing first, then tape it off to keep mastic off during the tile install. That way you aren't nailing against a newly tiled and grouted wall. Leave a slight gap (for expansion of wood), then caulk as you suggested.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

With a quick search, I found a blog with a few pictures and instructions.

**Edited to add another blog link, with a better picture--scroll down.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10K Kitchen Remodel blog

This post was edited by mama_goose on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 10:26

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"1. Should I wait to put the casing back up till AFTER I tile my backsplash, or does the tile stay the recommended distance away and I caulk it like the area near the countertop."

Paint the wall, paint the casing, install the casing, and install the tile with a gap between the tile and casing for grout-color-matched silicone.

2. Can I remove the lower casing under the window sill, leave it off, and just tile the entire area under the sill or would that look silly??

Remove the casing and install the tile. Prop the casing in place over the tile. If you like the look, silicone it in place.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks all! Will be a bit before I do the tile install, but I just need to sand and repaint the casing and I can put that back up.

In the link above, it says to put the mortor directly on the tile in tight places. Is that the right thing to do? I was wondering how I was going to do the small area under the window and the counter. My faucet is "right there" and too hard for us to remove.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Just make sure that the mortar/mastic on the tile is the same thickness as that which is applied to the wall, and that it's 'notched' as it would be on the wall, to create suction. Will there be enough room to grout without removing the faucet? Or will you be able to avoid grout lines directly behind the faucet?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mama_goose, I can get my hand behind there, but it is tight and awkward. I will first try to put the mortar/mastic on the wall and if I find I am having a problem, I will try putting it on the tile itself. It's not that big of an area, and quite possible that a tile may be centered on the faucet and the grout would be on either side. Won't know that till I start putting it up!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"n the link above, it says to put the mortor directly on the tile in tight places."

If you can't get the trowel in there, you will have to 'back-butter" the tiles.

I bought cheap, small plastic putty knives and snipped teeth into them for tight spaces, matching the teeth on the big trowel.