Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet corner solutions?

Posted by flgargoyle (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 7:53

I'm actively working on the kitchen design for our new house, and am trying to figure out the best way to deal with the inside corners of the cabinets. In my U-shaped kitchen, plus a peninsula (G-shaped kitchen?) there are 3 inside corners. One of them is going to have an angled counter creating a prep area that is open underneath for working while seated, which leaves two corners to deal with.

There are a variety of solutions, including corner drawers and lazy susans. I'm leaning towards corner drawers, but am wondering if it's better to have a sharp inside corner, or angle the counter to create a flat surface for 'normal' drawers. If I cut the corner like that, what would be a good-sized 'flat' to create? I like the idea of making a more usable corner that way, rather than a sharp inside corner.

What works in your kitchen? Any regrets? What would you have done differently? Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet corner solutions?

The most useful corner cabinets are 90 degree ones that are at least 36" in both directions. Whether or not you add in a super susan is up to you, but that also increases the utility. Doing an angled corner cabinet decreases the usefulness of the corner, and it increases the expense and difficulty of your counters.

You would get better feedback on your kitchen if you posted a complete diagram of the space.

o
RE: Cabinet corner solutions?

Here's a rough sketch. The upper left corner has to be 90 degrees because of the two different counter top materials. That just leaves the upper right. I was thinking of putting an angled corner, with the microwave on the counter, possibly semi-built-in. Angling the corner would give me enough counter depth to do that and still have space in front of the MW. BTW- There won't be any overhead cabs, although I might put some on the refrigerator wall if we find we have the need. All of the lowers, except under the sinks, will be drawers.

I'm building my own cabinets and concrete counter tops, so added complexity won't cost me anything other than a few (more) gray hairs.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here