Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle00_gw

Adjustable shelves vs. pull outs

danielle00
15 years ago

Presently we have 8 cabinets with pull outs. 7 will have 2 pull outs and one will have 3 pull outs (these are all base cabinets since we will not be doing uppers). The island will have fixed shelves (3 on the right side of the island; 2 on the left). Under the oven we will have fixed shelves. On top of the oven we have vertical storage for cookie sheets.

Do I have too many pull outs? I plan to keep the following in these cabinets:

some plates

--platters

--appliances (ice cream maker, rice cooker, etc)

--very large containers of flour (I have three that hold 38 lbs each

-- pots & saute pans (including heavy dutch oven and cast iron skillet)

I'm confused. The KD said to go with the roll-outs. I trust her, but I trust you all too.

Thanks!

Danielle

Comments (11)

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

I think you need some nice wide drawers instead of pullouts. Much more efficient (one motion to open a drawer, instead of two or three to open a pull-out.) Make sure that whichever you have, some of them are wide, at least 24" or 27". I would have 2 or 3 cabinets with shelves (and no drawer on top, either), and the rest all drawers.

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks-- they will all be around 29" inches (at least the cabinets in question-- I have others as well, but I'm satisfied with their configuration (drawers, adjustable shelves, etc)

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

I have drawers, pull outs, and fixed shelves in the pantry. I wish I had even more drawers and if not drawers then pull outs. My pull outs operate smoothly; nothing falls off the back or tips over. I hate that in the walkin pantry I chose fixed shelves. I can't tell you how much I love my deep wide drawers in the kitchen. The efficiency of one motion to open should not be underestimated.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

If it's not too late....

I would change the majority of pullouts & fixed shelves to drawers, including under the oven. Reasons:

(1) Economy of motion (one motion to open/close drawers vs 2 or 3 motions for pullout shelves)

(2) Drawers have higher sides so things don't fall off even when pushed to side while looking for something or when trying to cram all you can in a single drawer!

(3) Aesthetically, drawers usually look nicer than doors (JMHO!)

BTW...If you have a tall area for tray storage above the ovens, I would put a shelf in the bottom for platters, etc. and then then the tray storage on top of that. See the picture below for an example of tray space above double ovens. We used the cheap tray divider inserts ($5.99 each) from Wal-Mart...they work great! We were able to fit 3 across. Much cheaper than the Rev-A-Shelf tray dividers and no screws to "damage" shelves or cabinet bottoms.

[For those interested, base cabinet alternative for tray storage: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0716385727860.html]

Do you have a step-in or walk-in pantry? If so, I think that would be a better place to store the larger appliances...they can be stored waist-high and much easier to get out (or they can be stored on the floor or lower shelf).

Plates, Pots & Pans, & flour I would rather store in drawers in the appropriate areas, if I could. Flour in baking center, pots & pans under cooktop, and plates in dish storage.

Example of pot storage under the cooktop (frying pans, steamer, etc. in drawer below this one).

See the picture above for platter storage...I put all my platters over the ovens!

+++++++++++++

The only reason I can think of for adjustable/stationary shelves in a base cabinet is for open shelving.

I can't think of a single reason for fixed/non-adjustable shelves (especially those "half shelves"!)

• morton5
    15 years ago

Danielle, I think you should visit the College Park Ikea. I'm not sure that Ikea has a door style that will work with your inspiration photo, but since their cabinets are all about storage efficiency, you will get some great ideas that you may be able to use with other cabinet lines. Ikea even has free babysitting in a secure play area, and various spots in the store for kids to play (thought I saw some toys in your photos), as well as a decent, kid-friendly cafeteria.

And yes, go for drawers, drawers, drawers. If your KD is recommending fixed shelves, I have my doubts about him/her.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I just wanted to mention that not all roll out are the same height. If you need a taller rollout but don't want a drawer, you can order one. I think there are pros and cons for each one. I think the one pro for a rollout over a drawer is that you can adjust the height in the cabinet as needed. May not be a big deal though. I included a link to a roll out shelf. This is a Blum pullout but they can be made in wood too.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Inner Drawer D style

• jayne s
    15 years ago

Either my designer or my contractor convinced me to put in a roll out under the sink. I haven't fully started to use it for stuff but suspect that it will be nice not to have to reach into the back for things. They suggested that it be lined with something because of the likelihood of water getting down there one day. (I hope not though.....)

I have a mix of drawer and cabinet doors with adjustable-height roll-outs. I needed to adjust for some large cereal boxes and price-club sized bags of stuff. It's not the kind of thing you want to do regularly but I did move storage as I figured out how I like my kitchen to work. I should mention that you lose an amount of space because you need to clear the door and there are the supports for the adjustable roll-outs but overall, I'm happy to have the flexibility.
    jayne

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks homepro & jayne. Homepro, I emailed the KD and let her know I definitely will need a few deeper pull outs so stuff won't fall off the side (not sure if that happens, but it seemed like a good idea). jayne-- I wondered about how much space you actually lose with a pull-out.... for that reason we have some areas for adjustable shelves-- mostly to store the items I buy in bulk (I get flour at a bakery-supply store every 2 months, so I sometimes have up to 75 lbs of flour in large containers that I would really like to hide.

In any case, thanks for the help!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Danielle,

I am going to echo what most if not ALL of the above posters have said. I think 8 cabinets with pullouts is too many. If you could change 4, or 5, or even 6 to drawers, you will be happier! I have two cabinets with pullouts, one trash pullout, and the rest are drawers or lazy susans. My pantry cupboard also has pullout shelves. I totally understand and appreciate the flexibility of pullouts over drawers, ie for taller and shorter items. But for pots and pans, baking supplies, plates, and even the flour (don't know if they can fit into a deep drawer), I think drawers would be more convenient than pullouts.

I have a baking corner, with my baking supplies, flour, sugar, nuts, BP, BS, salt, etc in a drawer. I love it. I can measure right out of the drawer- everything is within easy reach. My measuring cups, spatulas, etc are in the drawer right above. My bowls, are in another drawer, so much easier than having to swing doors and open shelves.

Pullouts are far superior to fixed shelves, but drawers are even more superior!

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I was reading a little too fast and I thought the question was more about the pantry. If this is the whole kitchen, I agree that drawers are preferred in as many places as you can fit them. Hopefully it is not too late to make that change in your design.

Good luck!

• jayne s
    15 years ago

I have frameless cabinets and the hinge is mounted inside.
    The lost space (as opposed to what you'd get with a drawer) amounts to the space used for roll-out supports, hardware, and cabinet hinges, if they are internal.

When I look inside my cabinet, the non-hinge side of the cabinet just has the vertical strip and the spacing is almost similar to what I see with a drawer. HOWEVER --- on the hinge side of the cabinet, the roll-out has to clear the hinge when it rolls out. The roll-out supports are "built out" to clear the hinge when the tray rolls out. (about 1 3/4 inches)

I think I agree with raehelen and recommend going more drawers unless you want the look of cabinet doors.

One thing I'd mention and this was something that surprised me. Aside from the top drawer, my deeper drawers are really a deep drawer front and then a shallow drawer tray. It's easy to reach for things but I had expected the entire drawer box to be the depths of the front. My contractor added some pieces to a few drawers to make them full-height. Some people like the shallow drawer others don't. Make sure you are getting what you want.

jayne