Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

My backsplash ideas with pics

remodelfla
13 years ago

so I think we settled on this frosted glass for the backsplash.

From Drop Box

We are going to get it in the 4x12 size. I have so many samples of tile. DH did not like any of the crackle ceramic and marble didnt' look right... too much texture between the flecking on the wood and the veining of the SS. The glass is a very soft barely blue/green and should speak to the slightly contemporary vibe I've got going.

For above the bakers table I've decided to go with leftover tile I have from the bathroom remodel. Yes... same as in my bathroom but I dont' care. I think the colors are perfect, the tile is easy to clean, and I already have enough left over. I have so much over ordered tile I'm kinda tired of the wastefulness.

From Drop Box

Here's what it looks like installed in my bathroom (closeup)

Cab fronts and soapstone have been ordered... now just waiting.

Thanks for looking!!

Comments (31)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love how the glass tile is tinted to flow with your ss. They look made for each other. It would not have occurred to me, but seeing it makes it clear.
    Your other tile is also very pretty.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

The good news is that you have it installed already in the bathroom, so you know how it will look and are already happy with it! I have seen new condos where the cabinetry in the bathroom was the same as the kitchen cabinetry. So, why not tiles.

• ptyles
    13 years ago

I think your choices are terrific. The glass tile with the ss looks perfect and the glass tile from your bathroom is fabulous. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful!

• gillylily
    13 years ago

I think the combo is going to look amazing! Can't wait to see everything together when it's complete!

i saw your picture of your beautiful soapstone and your boys.. Where did you end up eating when you went to NYC?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I,m glad you all like it. I was going to order the gorgeous glass windows tile from trikeenan but realized I already had tile I love that would works great...plus it makes me feel better about spending on the soapstone. The other good news is the other frosted glass is the least expensive of all my samples.

My beautiful boys and I found this great little place called Fusia or something like that. It was and Asian feast and absolutely fabulous

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see your tiles installed! I've always loved the barely green/blue glass--it's so soothing and I always want to touch it! (Weird, I know. ;))

DH and I are taking a quick trip to NYC between Christmas & New Year (fly in, stay one day, and then fly out the next) because he's just short of miles needed to make 1K. No definite plans on what we're going to do, but maybe we'll try Fusia. If MOMA still has the JC kitchen exhibition I may drag DH to it (he's not into kitchens at all--just the food produced). :)

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Really gorgeous tiles!!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flwrs... it was Fusia. 677C Lexington Ave. It's an Asian Fusion place. Thai, Japanese, Korean, Chinese... We had a smattering of different appeizers (dumplings, spring rolls) and each of us had food from a differnt region. My sashimi as some of the cleanest tasting I've ever had. YUM!

I'm very very excited about settling on tiles and not spending a fortune on them. I'm thinking of taking my tons of tile samples and doing a tile mosaic on our outdoor shower. It might be fun... but will definitely be a project that we wait on till all else is done.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

The frosted glass seems PERFECT to me with the feel and style you've always been after, as long as it works with the color on the bakers table. I can't get a good vision of the darker tile with the bakers table and especially in the same room with the frosted tile, but you are seeing it all in person, so I'll trust you.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're going to be bringing the table down here so I'll tape/hold the tiles up there to be sure. They are really translucent, like in the first picture. I don't know why they look darker in the bathroom. I also like how there's the slightest bit of a cocoa color in them which I think will speak to the wood of my cabinets.

can you believe that after all this time I'm so close to actually getting there rhome? I don't know what I would have done without you. It began as such a mixed up vision and I feel like what I'm coming toward is really a reflection of me. Unless it's still all mixed up and that means I'm just a mixed up girl!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Remodel, is that the Island Stone beach tile? I was wondering because I fell in love with that tile (it looks even prettier in person) I ended up using the rounded edging frosted beach tile in a different color as a transitional piece between granite counter and glass tiles.
    I can't wait to see it all together!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The tile is frosted seafoam from Glass Tile Store. Tell me more about the Island Stone beach tile. Where can I take a look a look at it... website? This tile is only $15 a sq. ft for the 4x12. I find it so soothing...
    Inititally, I was loving (and still do) all sorts of wild glass tiles and was going to mix and match. I also love crackled ceramics that were very high priced. Fortunatley, DH really didn't care for the crackled ceramic so it made the choice easier. Once I saw it all together, and saw the big slabs of my SS in person; I realized that anything but something soft and simple would just be too much. Someone told me on an earlier post that not everything could be a star (sorry... I don't remember who it was but they are so right)
    My counters are somewhat dramatic... in a very natural way. With the matte finish on the SS, I'm just loving the frosted but not shiney nature of the tile.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Remodel, thanks for the info! Sounds like something DH and I would love!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

You're right that the bs tile will really let that gorgeous soapstone be the star! I think you're right that nothing every element should be the star. It gets confusing for the eye.

You are getting so close! While I haven't been privy to your whole process here, I'm excited for you! I can't wait to see it all come together. You and your boys are going to enjoy it!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Remodel, here is the site but they look absolutley nothing like the pictures on site in person (much more muted). The cool thing about them is that they change color slightly at different angles. http://www.islandstone.com/products.php?product_id=17&keywords=Beach_Tile&expandable=3

I saw them at Ceramic Matrix on 45th in W.P.B. I don't know the pricing on your shape of tile as they come in several sizes. My 8x1 rounded edge piece was 5 or $6 ea I think. Luckily I didn't need many.

• doonie
    13 years ago

remodelfa,

I am not usually a huge fan of the glass backsplashes, I guess because they come off as hard looking to my eyes. However, I love that frosted glass tile you have found and the accent tile just looks...happy and sparkly! That soft green/aqua color of tile works really well with your lovely soapstone. I am very excited for you!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Love the frosted tile with the soapstone - it pulls it all together! Looking forward to seeing the finished kitchen! You are on your way!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jterrilyn... thanks for the site info. BEAUTIFUL colors but they don't have the larger format. Great tile though.

Thanks all for your supportive comments. I look so forward to one day posting a finished kitchen to share with you.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Remodelfl,

I love your choices, as always you have amazing taste.

~boxerpups

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oh my drooling goodness! BEACH GLASS! Your tile is absolutely dreamy! Wish I could have afforded something like that but you know, it all adds up.Enjoy! Your choices are so soothing....I will have to come over and take a nap in that kitchen when it is done. Zen!

So love that you are re-using the gorgeous br tile! We will probably put some kitchen tile in the br if we ever do it...because we also have too much. And I still have tile from a remodel of our old house/kitchen from 2007. Frustrating.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

I'm dying to see photos of the bathroom!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I really am so excited to see your cabinet fronts when they come in as I'm am thinking of the QS oak for my master bath. I really love everything you have picked. Keep the pictures coming...

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sabjimata... if you make it down south, you are more then welcome to come sleep on my counters. I'm not much of a meat eater so you can teach me some great veggie recipes. Can't convert my DH though.

plumberry... my bath pics used to be on here somewhere but I don't know if they got lost. I don't want to bore everyone by posting them again.

jterri... I can't wait either. It was a upgrade from Scherr's to get the Premium QS but there was something so natural and enticing about the graining. Even with the upgrade my cabs came in at around 5K with the IKEA boxes so I really can't complain. I know most people spend a ton more then that.

• brickton
    13 years ago

Bore everyone? Seriously with that tile I don't think anyone would be bored, and most people on here could look at pretty reno's all day ... and sometimes I do. Post! (please)

Are you going to mix the frosted glass tile and the mini-brick mosaic or just do the mini-brick for the second area?

• corgi_mom
    13 years ago

All I can say is that is a beautiful color combination. Wow! So fabulous. Can't wait to see the entire kitchen. [But then you have used my favorite color!] I bet people will be swooning in your new kitchen!!!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Our house is TINY so the bathrooms aren't big. This is the guest bath remodel. My master is the size of a postage stamp and not yet done

Air jet tubbie:

Can't find the pic that shows my pretty crystal light fixture and mirror... but you get the idea.

I think I'll just do the mini brick above the bakers table. On the cook wall where the frosted beach color will go I have an amazing (to me) curved range hood that kinda makes it's own statement. I think it would be too much to overdo it.
    {{!gwi}}

• puppeez
    13 years ago

ohhhh, Remo....your kitchen is going to be sooooo beautiful! Your backsplash choice is just right for that ss. And the 'leftover' tile will add a nice splash of sparkle.

Looking forward to seeing the 'finish line' as I am sure you are as well. Keep those pics coming.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Hmmm...how much further south would I have to go? I am right outside Gainesville, Fl. Wouldn't mind taking a snooze in your bathtub, either!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

'Bout 4 hours down sweetie... east coast... Hollywood, Florida. We have one of the greatest beaches going!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Besides loving that glass tile with your SS, I am totally digging on your range hood!

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

We have a very similar looking range hood. Love that the shape and style makes its own statement. And your frosted glass tile looks fabulous with your countertop selection. Can't wait to see it all finished!