Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahfk

Stainless Steel Island Top - Help!

SarahFK
11 years ago

I am working with a kitchen designer who has chosen a company to fabricate a stainless steel island top for me. I spoke to the company myself to iron out the details and have a few concerns.
First, one of the reasons I wanted stainless steel is that I could have a prep sink fabricated out of the same steel. This company welds in the sink of your choice. They do this without creating any seams which is great but when I asked how it matched the steel of the counter top they said it didn't completely match but that after it is all scratched up you barely notice. I'm not too crazy about this idea but without seeing it I can't tell if it is a deal breaker for me. Does anyone have a sink from elsewhere welded in to their stainless steel top - how does it look? Is it standard practice or is this company unusual?
Second, I want a non-drip or marine lip so that liquids don't spill over the edge. This company manufactures one where the lip is raised by 1/4 inch. In the images this looks a bit steep, I would rather it were a more subtle incline. On this forum another member posted that he had an incline of 1/16 inch but when I requested this the manufacturer said it wasn't possible and that it had to be 1/4 inch for it to work. Any experience with this?
I might have to go with another manufacturer. Does anyone have a recommendations in the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania region?
Many thanks!

Comments (6)