Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thundersweet

Please help me choose an island for my kitchen...choices inside.

thundersweet
16 years ago

I need help. I think I am going to purchase and island for my recently finished kitchen from High Horse. I just can't decide which one. I will be custom ordering in a 52x24 size. I will also order it in black with a butcher block top. My questions are...

which style?

painted black...distressed or not?

what color stain for the butcher block? (match the floors? lighter, darker?) I won't be using food directly on the top.

Or should I use granite? same granite (honed AB or a different granite) Dh thinks butcher block to mix it up a bit.

Here are a few pictures of my kitchen.

Remember, it will be black. Please look at my choices. It's between the farmhouse, bakers island table (the lady from high horse said this one and it reminds me of angelcub's custom island), cottage kitchen, or the Parsons Island. The Parsons island is stained in ebony. The entire thing. No butcher block.

Thanks so much for your advice and help. Oh, this will go in front of the sink area.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: High Horse Ranch Islands

Comments (65)

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sandy!

So...what color/wood are you floors? I love the way they set off the cabinets. I know I have seen your kitchen before in the forum, but I can't remember what thread it was.

What color of green is that on your walls?

Soapstone?

Cabinet paint color?

THANK YOU!

• holligator
    16 years ago

Well, I like the drawers in the farmhouse a lot better, and I think the pullout counter is awesome. I also think the beadboard-ish panels echo your accents near the door nicely.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I also vote for the Country Farmhouse Kitchen Island, not distressed, and the lighter butcher block. Why? It just seems, to me, to have more "something" (not too helpful, I know!!!). I looked at them all side-by-side and I kept coming back to it. I also like the idea of an optional eating area (the pullout eating bar)

The cottage is too "heavy", I don't like the Parsons Table as an island (but it would work in a foyer), and the shelf in the Baker's Island seems like a waste of space and, especially in black, a dust magnet!

Are you going to use the brass hardware it comes with? I think it would tie your cabinets and island together if you used the same drawer pulls on the island as on your cabs. If you go that route, I'd ask them to not put on the hardware since you will want to drill the holes to match your hardware rather than theirs.

HTH!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Another vote for farmhouse, black, not distressed. The comments above about dusting really strike home. The low shelf in the baker's island would just be a source of dust and clutter. You kitchen as is has very clean lines--no clutter--and farmhouse would finish it off nicely.

• zelmar
    16 years ago

My first instinct was the farmhouse, then looking at them closer my list is:

1. baker's: I like the simplicity and the use of space (big drawers and the shelf for over-sized items--although I agree it could be a dust collector if your house is prone to dust.) Also, the legs somewhat mimic the legs of your sink. I think it would look great in black

2. pastry: again, good use of space. Optional pull out like the farmhouse.

3. farmhouse: The small drawers don't make the most efficient use of the space.

Any of them will look great. I also like the idea of simple, non-distressed black.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

I'm goign to be the dissenting vote - I like olde english and I'll tell you why - the lines it are all more simple. All the others, while nice, all have a little too much decoration for the simplicity of the kitchen. Everything in your kitchen is very clean, very simple, and all the islands are very country. In my mind they don't work together. So that's why I like the olde english one - it's much simpler.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

and on the same line - Parsons too. I missed that the first go round.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

buffettgirl, I see your point. However, I can't get the Old English in the size I need. I did ask about it. Are you saying you like the Parsons?

Sandy

• sholt576
    16 years ago

Can they leave the bottom shelf of the bakers island? I like it because of the storage, but dislike the shelf.

I like the simple lines of the parsons, but would not be interested in so little storage space.

Farmhouse is nice, but I actually prefer the thinner top of the bakers, rather than the thicker top of the farmhouse. Other than the top thickness I like it alot. Can you get a thinner top on it if that were your preference?

I agree with black, not distressed. I'd probably pick the top color based on what I liked best with the black.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kbmas0n...here are the details you asked for.

The wood stain is provincial. (min wax I think)

The wall color is Ellen Kennon's Ashen Green.

The countertops are honed absolute black.

The cabinets are not custom. I really wish I had done that. They are Kemper. Just their plain white I guess. Sorry not more exciting. lol

Sandy

• rhome410
    16 years ago

So sorry for the confusion...All I meant was I didn't like the one that would be all black without the butcherblock top (Parsons), so easily eliminated that one from the choices. I do like the Farmhouse...and at first liked the Baker's, but have the same concerns others expressed about the low, open shelf. Either would look great in black with the bb top.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sammi2, yes I can order it with the 2 in top. I am thinking I will do that with whatever one I choose. You guys are really giving me a lot to think about.

I will definitely order black non-distressed. The reason I like the shelf on the bottom of the bakers island was because i had intended to put baskets down there to house my onions. Well, one for onions/garlic and one for something else. I don't really have a place for those things. Right now, they are in a basket under the kitchen sink which I don't care for. I could find a drawer for them though if need be. I cook with a lot of onions so I need to find a good home for them.

I like the clean lines of the Parsons too. Dh thinks the legs don't go with our kitchen. Anyone care to comment? I'll show him. lol

I know some of you like the pull out bar on the farmhouse. I would probably order it without since I don't really have room to pull it out and have people sit there plus get around them in the kitchen.

Keep em' comin!

Sandy

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Thanks for the details, Sandy! Custom or not, your cabinets are beautiful!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I understand about not enough room for the pullout eating bar BUT, you don't have to have it out most of the time. It just seems to me that it's a "nice to have" just in case you need it sometime (it could even be used as a work surface extension). BTW...will it fit through the opening b/w the kitchen & the eating area (?)? If so, you may also find a use for it over in that area on occasion.

If you don't like the bead board, would they make it w/o (since it's being custom-made anyway)?

As to the top...I suggested the lighter color b/c I think it needs a light top. Actually, white or very light gray marble/granite/quartz would probably look very nice, but it would most likely make the island too heavy to move around...that is, if you're planning on moving it around as needed!

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

Sandy are they Kemper Northrope??? That's what I'm getting (only in the amaretto creme) Its good to see them live.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wondering if that may change some of the opinions.

From the kitchen...

From corner of room looking into kitchen...

The blue tape is the outline of the island roughly. Sorry for the mess. Just imagine a clean house.

Thanks,
    sandy

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

buffettgirl, yes they are. I do really like them.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

oh damn...I wonder if I should have gone with the white!!! ARRARRRRRGGGGG - I could never see the northrope in white anywhere and now I really like it. Oh shoot.

• ellene613
    16 years ago

Farmhouse.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness! How did you do that??? Thanks so much! Was that hard? Can you do that with the Parson's table and the Baker's Island? Too much to ask? What a doll you are...and talented.

Thanks,
    Sandy

• auchmedden
    16 years ago

I was just going to ask if ellene could do that with the others for a true comparison.

BTW, Sandy, I love your kitchen and your house! I was going to vote for baker's, but now I want to actually see it in your kitchen before I cast my vote. I like the idea of baskets on the shelf for onions and potatoes.

• User
    16 years ago

Have to agree with Ellene613.. Farmhouse/black. The shelf under the bakers table would drive me nuts, as it'd be filled with "stuff" and cat hair, and make it difficult to sweep/swiffer/mop under. I also know that we are counter/table "leaners", and that shelf would be used as a foot rest all the time. Just my two cents worth. Oh, and throw the thicker top in too! Lovely. Kym

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Hi Sandy, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Farmhouse or the Baker. They both say cottage to me.

As for the shelf on the bottom, mine doesn't get anymore dust than the other surfaces and I can clean under it just fine. I haven't put anything on the shelf yet but will probably do so one day. Maybe some baskets. Right now one of my furballs thinks it's his personal space. : )

Diana

• creekylis
    16 years ago

Baker (1), Farmhouse (2)... solid black... butcher block -or- marble top.

Have fun!

• ellene613
    16 years ago

It's much harder to work with the other island pics because they are front views, not angled. Nevertheless, I managed this with the Parson's table island:

BTW, I teach computer graphics, including Photoshop, at a local college/seminary in addition to doing freelance kitchen design... this would be a good assignment for my students! Sorry I don't have time now to tackle your third potential island...

• flatlander62
    16 years ago

Bakers Island, and I like the idea of a marble top. I love your kitchen.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

Not quite as good but here's the OldEnglish one:

I'll try the bakers next

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like the old english but can't get it because they can't make it smaller. I would love to see the baker's.

I don't know guys....I think I like the Parsons table so far in pictures. Real simple! Looking at the farmhouse, it looks like too much. Does anyone else think so? It's stained in ebony, but I could ask to get it painted Black. Not sure how black the ebony stain would be compared to the rest of the black in the kitchen.

If someone could do that bakers, I would be so greatful!

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Sandy

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

I like the parson's as well. I think it's very simple.

I can't get bakers to work good in a picture because it has no visible sides (and I can't 3d it right at the moment)

• aunttomichael
    16 years ago

Now that I've seen the other pictures, I say definitely Parsons. The clean lines fit in perfectly with your living room furniture and overall look. And I got a good sense of your style from those pictures, too, and I don't think you'll be happy with Farmhouse (which I also love)--those busy legs are going to annoy you!

BTW, are your pendants the Brightwood from RH? How far do they hang above the counter? TIA.

aunttomichael

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, they are. You guys are good! lol Let me go measure....They are about 29 in from the bottom of the light. I can't get an exact measurement since we have a piece of plywood underneath right now. Our granite cracked and it's being replaced. It's about 28 in though.

If I chose the Parsons, do you think I should keep the legs rounded? Not sure if I have an option on that but I could maybe have them more squared. Also, should I go with the ebony stain or have them paint it black?

Sandy

• claybabe
    16 years ago

I vote for bakers, with the thick butcher block if you think the shelf wouldn't be too difficult: I love balance of it, the legs and drawer style.

That said, the farmhouse legs don't bother me, and the overall look mixes it up nicely for me.

Parsons with square legs if you choose that one. And I think stain might be more forgiving in the long run since the top will be the same substance. If it were a butcher block top I would do black paint without distressing.

These are all gorgeous islands, and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose. Your kitchen and home are lovely.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

Not sure how custom you can have with this company but I love the simplicity of the Parsons. Can they leave the doug fir butcher block natural and oil it. Natural doug fir has a slight orange tint, not light like maple but certainly not really dark like shown.

• txcat
    16 years ago

My vote is for the Pastry Chef's island. I think it coordinates best with your simple lines and it has storage. I don't think I'd do the same granite, but would go with the butcher block.

• xoxosmom
    16 years ago

PBI What is the name of the yellow color on the walls in the other pics?

I vote for pastry chef too.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

xoxosmom, the color of the walls next to the kitchen is Ellen Kennon's Honeysuckle.

Thanks for all the votes. I still don't know what to do. lol

Does anyone think I should leave it open as is? Dh is toying with the idea of not adding an island at all. I think it's almost too much space without something but I do like the roomy feel.

Sandy

• ellene613
    16 years ago

Okay, here's the baker's island...

Good luck making a decision. I think you should put in an island because it will give you prep space convenient to your cooktop -- something your very attractive kitchen lacks now. I still like the farmhouse island best.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellen, thanks so much. Gosh it's so hard to actualy make the decision.

I found another one I like but wondered if it was too country. What do you guys think? Like it better than my other choices? Click on the black leg.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: John Boos

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

hmm..that one looks like mass produced crap whereas the first all look like they cost a lot more and are more well made.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL buffettgirl....that's what I told dh. "I want something you won't see anywhere else. Not mass produced." He really likes that one though. Now that you have seen all 3, what's your pick? I think it's a toss up between Parson's and Bakers.

Sandy

• txcat
    16 years ago

How much room do you have?

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

With a 2ft wide island, I have roughly 3ft on either side of the island because the sink and cooktop is bumped out some from the rest of the cabs.

Sandy

• elljays
    16 years ago

I like either the farmhouse or the pastry chef's island, in black, not distressed. I wouldn't want to clean a lower shelf on the others, and I don't like the heavy legs on some of the other choices, at least with your kitchen. Your kitchen is beautiful, by the way!

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

definitely Parsons. That's my opinion.

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As far as the top goes..does anyone have any opinion on what would look better? I like the all black of the Parsons. Maybe with a nice John Boos chopping block on top for cutting? If I get one with a butcher block top, what color top? I am so not good at this. Natural top? Darker stain to match floors?

I talked with them and they can do custom. I am thinking of either a table like Parsons or doing the Baker's Island but making it more simple. Drawer fronts like my cabinet doors and plain legs. I think that would simplify the look. I could use some advice as to the top color choice. Dh thinks a plain butcher block in natural would be too light. Anybody? He wants it stained more of a walnut color or similar to the floors.

Thanks,
    Sandy

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Thundersweet...
    My vote go's to to the "farmhouse", it's got a cozy feel and I like the towel rack on the side. In nice deep red color to go with the living room chairs...adds warmth.
    Then do butcher block top in a darker tone that compliments your floors, that will give it a rich look.
    ...rich and cozy and warm... thats it!

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ohhh, never thought of doing red. I do love red! Wonder what that would look like though. Can't picture it. I do have the red Le Crueset and the red Kitchen Aid mixer. Actually, I have red all throughout my home.

Something to think about. I wonder if it would change the look of my kitchen too much though.

Thanks,
    Sandy

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Thundersweet,
    The oringinal pictures of the islands shows the "farmhouse island" in red with a dark butcher block top! And there is also a cool little red stool behind it. Anyway, if you have red throughout your house plus red appliances it seems you like a little bling here and there. You would want a real dark red, maybe with a black glaze or wash over it so it doesn't overpower the space. It could just add that right amount of "spice". However, your style is clean and simple, Amish like, very nice and comforting, so I can see the Pasons island fitting in very well with your style. Now you gotta ask yourself, do you want to keep the kitchen style as is or do you wanna add some bling? But here's the thing, it's a painted finish so either way you go it can always be painted another color!

• thundersweet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The world bling always cracks me up! I talked with dh about red and he definitely thinks we have enough red or...bling. LOL I will stick with black but still don't feel confident enough to place the order since it cost $$$.

I am down to either the Parson's or The Baker's. The Baker's I would have custom done with plain legs (rather than routed out like shown) and the drawers would look more like my door fronts rather than the bulky drawer style shown in the picture.

Those that like the Parson's. Would you keep the legs round or ask to put a solid square leg? The only drawback on that choice is there really is no storage. It's strickly a work surface. But, I like the simple look of it and the all black.

Sandy

• luckyj
    16 years ago

Sandy,

Love your kitchen! Let us know what you ended up choosing for the island. Pictures?

Sorry for a little OT question, but how much is the overhang on the counter where the saddle seat stools are located. I have a small space and so I'm wondering if something like this would work in my kitchen as well.

Many thanks.