Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegkip

that yawning space above the fridge

pegkip
16 years ago

In my last kitchen, I had a closed cabinet with solid doors over the fridge which housed my food processor. I think the only time I opened that cabinet was to put the food processor in when we moved in and then to take out when we were getting ready to move.

Has anyone used that space to display less frequently used serveware, baskets, and the like? Do you have glass doors or open shelving? Photos? Would you do something different in your next kitchen?

Comments (14)

• creekylis
    16 years ago

That's a really great idea. I have seen creative use for over the fridge for wine storage... but I'm not much of a wine drinker actually. In fact, the cabinet over my fridge currently houses my wine glasses, and as such, is rarely opened. :)

Can't wait to see what other ideas are posted, but I really like the idea of a display space.

Lis

• divamum
    16 years ago

We're working on this right now. Our old kitchen has the standard 12" deep over fridge cabinet which is, as far as I'm concerned, dead space - like most people, we wind up putting things on top of hte fridge in front of that cabinet, thus making USING that cabinet a total pain. I have some seldom-used serving pieces in there and that's it.

In the new kitchen we're going to use a full depth cabinet, and possibly build in some storage cubbies as well. Watch this space. :)

• friedajune
    16 years ago

In my last kitchen, I had open space over the fridge. It was a real grime collector (with the amount of dirt, you could grow a plant up there, really!). Maybe it's cause it's electric that it attracts dirt? I don't know. But everything on top of that fridge became very dirty very quickly. For my current kitchen, I opted for closed cabinets flush with the front of the fridge. Like you mentioned, I keep large objects up there like platters and mixers. (BTW, do you have an alternate space to keep your food processor if you do not have that deep cabinet space over the fridge?) Another option that many on this forum have used for that space is to have a cabinet with vertical dividers to keep trays, baking pans, roasting pans, place mats and the like. It's perfect for that use, since the space is deep and usually fairly tall.

I am not sure about the wine storage, cause I would think that the heat from the fridge would not be good for the wine. Maybe someone can chime in on that option?

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

I also currently have a 12" deep cabinet above my frig and the space is useless. In my new kitchen I will have a deep cabinet flush with the frig. I plan to use it for trays and lids - its a good size for that.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

I put a wine rack over the fridge.

but you really can't put any good wine up there - too warm. Not from the fridge, just the ambient air up there. Having a deep cab, flush with the fridge is better, IMO. You can put a thing in there for
    and keep cookie sheets, platters, trays, and cutting boards up there.

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my cabinet above the fridge. The spacing for those tray dividers is wider than usual which works well for some larger items. In hindsight I probably should have done one half with 2 wide compartments and the other with narrower slots (these dividers are fixed). There is another thread that discusses the use of cabinets above the fridge.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion on fridge cabinets

• xoxosmom
    16 years ago

Where can I find dividers like that after buying my cabinets? Does Ikea, HD, carry something?

• biner
    16 years ago

ikea sells the dividers-strong, look good and very inexpensive

• patches123
    16 years ago

I guess we drink the wine quick enough...as I haven't found it to go bad.

Here is ours...

• velodoug
    16 years ago

We have a 12" deep open storage space. I'm 6' tall in the work boots I generally wear in the kitchen and can reach the things up there with just a bit of a stretch.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Like others here, we had the useless 12" depth cabinet over the fridge in the old kitchen. We also had a tendency to put stuff on top of the fridge in front of that cabinet, rendering the cabinet useless. So we went for a full depth cabinet over the fridge in the new kitchen: WOW. What a difference it makes. It's the storage place for holiday centerpieces, bakeware and such that I'd never had room for in the old kitchen, and there's still room leftover for the set that I got last Christmas but haven't brought down from the storage room yet.

I've included a link direct to the photo of my over-the-fridge cabinet, but you can look around that same page and find a more "head on" view.

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Above my refrigerator

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

Ours is a regular depth refrigerator & we had the cabinet built almost flush & it goes all the way up to the 10' ceiling. It's huge - actually bigger than my sink base! We put narrow-spaced dividers for cookie sheets, etc in 1/3 & pull out trays (3) on the other side (mostly for seldom used things) - all behind double doors.

Although I still have to use a ladder most of the time, the pullout trays make it a lot easier to retrieve things without reaching. The edge of the baking sheets are within reach. No matter what you do to this area, it's not very user friendly except for storage & judging from the amount of dirt that accumlated on top of my last refrigerator, I'd think twice about open shelving.

• DYH
    16 years ago

We have closed cabinets (two stacked x two wide) above our fridge. We use the lower cabinets for cake plates, cake carriers, bread baskets (light weight stuff to pull down without injury). The high cabinet holds china and crystal that are seldom used (and requires a folding Rubbermaid stool to reach).

Cameron

• heimert
    16 years ago

Yeah, wine over fridge for anything longer than a few weeks wouldn't be a good idea. Also, take it down from there before you drink it and chill it (obviously for white, and even for red a bit).