Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Please post pics of cabinets with golden oak floors

lithigin
13 years ago

We have that yellow-toned golden oak throughout our house. DH hates it and I don't mind it, but we're having a tough time starting on kitchen reno since we usually have liked maple in a tobacco type stain or a warm tone before. I believe with these golden oak floors, we need some major contrast to avoid a bland mismatch of the warm tones that I usually gravitate towards. We're doing a midrange reno and don't like darker cherry tones and painted cabinets would need some convincing. I'm guessing espresso or walnut type finishes?

Please post pics of your gorgeous kitchens with golden oak floors for some inspiration!

Comments (6)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Our floor may not be what you are talking about when you say "golden oak." We have builders grade red oak flooring, no stain, polyurethaned...so it is yellowish. I linked a pic below.

I do think a high contrast cab is a good bet for light floors.

Here is a link that might be useful: white maple cabs, chestnut stained cherry cabs, natural red oak

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Sabjimata,
    We just had wood floors put in, and I went through the same thing. We didn't have it stained. Oh my, what a decision that was! Seems everyone else has darker floors. But, we left if plain, and I absolutely love it! I think the natural color is classic, and it flows beautifully with our decor. Plus keeps the rooms light. Our cabinets are off white. ( I posted a picture yesterday and they looked yellow- they are not) I'll post a picture soon- right now the floors are covered in paper during cab install.
    good luck! Everything is such a decision as you move along- but I decided it all works out because you will choose what YOU like.
    HTH
    Joan

• cheri127
    13 years ago

We stained our floor golden oak with medium brown cabinets. Our floors aren't as "gold" as the old floors were though.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are some kitchens with Golden oak floors. I think you
    can do anything. You can go with dark, light, medium, white,
    red, green... anything you find you love just stay in the
    same family of cools or warms unless of course you
    are a pro at balancing it all. Hope these help you think
    about your space.
    ~boxerpups

KD Steel Cabinetry

Woodwise Eco Building Group

Syracuse

William Poole Designs

Otis BRadley Remodeling

Pine Hill Woodcrafts Christine

Ephesus remodeling

Mommys Quiet Time Blog

Heart Wood Kitchen Boston

Chatham Remodeling

Gerrity Stone Boston

Sun Rock Kitchens

• mbw1
    13 years ago

These are some photos of our 17 yr old golden oak floor. I absolutley love it. It runs through the entire house and was the only thing I wanted to keep during this reno. The cabinets were oak, we painted them Timid White, BM.

Plesae don't judge my housekeeping by the lack of cleanliness on these floors right now!LOL We are in the middle of a 2 month total DIY reno and that is sawdust from that day!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• joan2121
    13 years ago

One more comment about red oak floors: We had new kitchen and family installeld, and the hall ways redone. I mentioned earlier that we got the grade above builders- it is called prime. the floor guy gave it to us at no extra cost. So you may negotiate that. Our original floor were very golden and now all are a beautiful lighter shade. The installer said they will not yellow in our life time (He may have thought we are really old LOL). I think the stuff they use now is different. I also choose a satin finish versus the glossy. Wish the pictures would come out better- I love our floor.