Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

batch feed or switch under garbage disposal.

positano
15 years ago

My electrician suggested a batch feed(I've never had one), or he said he could put a switch under the sink. I was originally looking at the insinkerator compact, my sink cab is only 27 so I think the smaller the better(no batch feed). Insinkerator makes a batch feed(cover control) ,but it is taller and wider. Does anyone have it? Do you think it would fit in a 27inch cab...or should I just go with the compact? Will the switch under the cab bother me? Or should I go with the wall switch?

Need to decide today!

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

A lot of people here prefer the batch feed for safety reasons...it only operates if the cover is on.

If, however, you either cannot use a batch feed (like us, we needed the septic assist to meet code) or don't want it for whatever reason, then I would consider using an airswitch on your counter rather than an under-sink switch.

An airswitch uses a puff of air to turn on the GD, and another puff to turn it off. It's safer than a regular switch, whether it's under the sink or on the backsplash, since there is no direct electrical connection b/w the switch and the outlet...making it safe to use with wet hands. (You also probably won't want those dripping hands fiddling with the cabinet to get to the under sink switch...but safety would be the bigger concern w/those dripping hands!)

It also comes in handy if you have a window over a sink w/no room for a switch, if you have a sink in a peninsula or island, or you just don't want a switch breaking up your backsplash.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Airswitch

• alku05
    15 years ago

I second Buehl's recommendation. We have the ISE compact in an 18" cabinet with an airswitch, and are glad for the extra room in there.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I got the newest Insinkerator batch feed for my prep sink, and so far I'm really loving it. It's amazingly quiet (quieter than the smaller size Insinkerator compact I have at the main sink) and the batch feed is a cinch to use. Just make sure that you're in a household where you can store the plug somewhere safely so that it doesn't walk off. :) I don't have kids, so that wasn't an issue, but I still love the safety and quietness of the batch feed. So I'd say, if your plumber says s/he can do it, go for the batch feed!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

ditto. a switch under the sink is a huge PITA. you'll have to open the cabinet door every time you want to turn it on, with wet hands. no good.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

Go with an air switch if you possible can.

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

I've got the Insinkerator Cover Control under my 30" sink, and I don't think 3" less would matter at all.

It is a FANTASTIC GD. I'd never had a batch feed GD either, but I love it.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I have the Cover Control under my prep sink. The INTERNAL dimension of that cabinet is 21 1/2". So, it will definitely fit. The circumference of that disposal is about 29" at the widest part, and the diameter is about 9". I actually don't like the Cover Control so much. The cover itself feels cheap and is made of plastic, not metal. If you want to turn the disposal on with dirty water in the sink, you have to reach through it. Also, you need to store that cover somewhere convenient. But, my husband has a bit of a phobia about the garbage disposal and felt strongly about the batch feed as a safety issue, which of course is the biggest point in its favor. Also on the plus side, it is very quiet and works very well. If I had the decision to make again, I would prefer an air switch, though.

I definitely think that you should not go for a switch under the sink. I had that before and disliked it; it was a pain to use.

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

I have the batch feed insinkerator - this was my first batch feed although I was familiar with the concept from my place of work. It is very quiet and works well. I love not having anything on the granite except the faucet. I didn't even put in a soap dispenser. I do feel it is safer.
    Here are a few things I didn't consider, but aren't really big issues for me: The cover plate has a magnet in it and so sticks to certain knives and induction pots. I have to be mindful about setting it out of the way to avoid its attaching itself to something. True to the name BATCH feed you can't continuously push food down the hatch. Because I have always used continuous feed disposals I have had to adjust my technique to get everything into the disposal before setting the cover plate in place. Overall I am very happy with the batch feed and would get it again. If you go with a switched disposal I would definately get an air switch.

• oskiebabu
    15 years ago

Unless you have very curious young children who are likely to poke their fingers anywhere, I would go with an air switch. You place the air switch button (available in many finishes to match your faucet)next to your faucet. It definitely makes life much easier, sice all you have to do is press the button to commence the disposal and then press the button to stop it.

Greg

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I'll say this vewwy quietly ;-) but I really prefer my Evolution batch feed to my air switch Evolution compact. The air switch itself (Insinkerator 'sinkTop switch' model) has a tendency to stick inside its housing, and you have to fiddle it around with your finger to get it to return to the counter level so you can depress it again, which means you can't turn the GD off again immediately.

But the air switch is still preferable to a wall or undercounter switch, I'll agree with that.

• rgillman
    15 years ago

I would never have anything but a batch feed. Our little kids are long grown and I just installed the ISE cover control in our new kitchen. It's quiet and it's great.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great info everyone....looks like I'm going with the cover control.

Big thanks!

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I would recommend the air switch. No sticking or fiddling required with mine at all. Circuspeanut, did you maybe get a bad one or any chance you have had it for a while and it just might need to be replaced? I like to have a continuous feed so it goes down as I rinse the sink and the cover doesn't get gunky. Either would work, though. Personal choice.

Sue

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Our airswitch doesn't stick at all either...

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Before deciding on a batch feed disposer, you need to check one critical bit of plumbing configuration. Batch feed disposers are taller and therefore hang down lower under the sink than a typical switched (air-switch or wall-switch) disposer. Because of this, the drain outlet on the disposer is also lower. It is critical that the outlet on the disposer be higher than the drain line opening on the wall at the back of your cabinet. If it isn't, the disposer will not drain properly, and you will always have water sitting in the bottom of the grind chamber of your disposer. This will significantly shorten the life of any disposer and could result in rotting food debris remaining in the bottom of the disposer. CHECK YOUR DIMENSIONS CAREFULLY. Be sure that the drain outlet on the disposer will be above the height of the drain outlet on the back wall of your cabinet.

I really like batch feed disposers, but if a batch feed disposer doesn't work because of your plumbing configuration, then you definitely want a disposer with a wall switch or an air switch. Having to deal with a switch under the sink is a minor nuisance, but over time, a major annoyance. You don't want to go there. Personally, I prefer a wall switch, but there are many people on this forum who swear by the air switch arrangement. Just keep in mind that an air switch means one more thing on your sink deck that you will need to wipe around as you clean up around the sink.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

I originally bought a continuous feed however my electrician, contractor, plumber and a good friend convinced me to exchange it for a batch feed. They all said it was safer...all the same reasons as expressed above. However, my girlfriend said....if something "important" accidentally falls in...there is an reflex reaction to go in after the item...and you dont want to do that with a continuous feed. So..I switched to the batch feed.
    Best of Luck,
    Melanie1121

• gglks
    15 years ago

i also LOVE my airswitch. it's just one of those small things (like my neverMT) that seem to amuse me about our new kitchen!!!!

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i can't help with the size, but the batch feed is the absolute safest. if there are EVER children in your house there is no other way to go.

• anthony_porreca_verizon_net
    13 years ago

We have had 3 or 4 batch feeds in our home. Safety, Safety, Safety. Imagine what would happen if one of our kid had thought it was funny to turn on the diposal while the other had his hand in it?....For the extra $100, it is CHEAP INSURANCE!!!

• true_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

those early years that the kids were young, i had a wall switch disposal and a batch feed was not an option. this was the way the house came so i would unplug the disposer from under sink. as the kids got older, they would run away when it came to doing the dishes, yet old enough to know the disposer is not a toy either. too each its own strong advantages depending on each stage of your life and preferences.