Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tntwalter

I have a single bowl sink now and ....

tntwalter
14 years ago

I LOVE it. I cannot believe I almost didn't get it. I really wanted a double sink 50/50 like I had but was having a hard time finding one in 30" that I could afford. And last minute switched to a single bowl.

It's FANTASTIC.

The only think I might have done different would have been not so deep. Mine is 10" and add the 1" of granite and it's 11 inches. I can touch it with my fingertips but not my whole hand. LOL. Being 5'2" that's a DUH on my part. If you're short consier an 8" because after the granite you're at 9" which would probably be perfect.

But I'm really happy with the single bowl. So if you're debating GO FOR IT.

Trish

Comments (39)

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Your post is perfectly timed for me. I am pretty much sold on single bowl but DH is not. Can you tell me what you purchased.

I am so fed up with my tiny sink that will only hold the bottom half of one large pot.

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

Actually being short with a deep sink is easier than it would be for a tall person (I am 5'3" btw). If you are tall, you have to bend more to reach the bottom of the sink, and it's hard on your back. Having said that, people get used to whatever depth they have, whether they are short or tall. In a little while you won't notice your sink depth.

I love single bowl sinks. We had one growing up, and then, when I moved out of the house, I had double bowl sinks for years in various homes, until my latest kitchen when I pined nostalgically for a single bowl sink like what I had growing up. I have a single bowl now (rectangular btw, with offset drain), and would never go back to double bowls, though I understand other people have different preferences.

• neesie
    14 years ago

odiegirl, it sounds like your issue is more the depth of the sink. I hate double bowl shallow sinks. I almost got a single but went with one large and one medium bowl, the larger is 10 inches deep. I am also 5' 2" and have the 4" of granite set in front and I love it.

• xoldtimecarpenter
    14 years ago

If you have a dishwasher, a double bowl is no longer necessary. You no longer need one basin to wash and a second to rinse and drain. A 32" single bowl, minimum 8" deep is the best choice for most people. If you object to the disposer in the main basin, then pick an asymetrical double bowl with the disposer installed in the smaller basin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Smart Divide Kitchen Sink

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

I hear ya. Loving mine every day! It's one of DH's favorite things about our new kitchen too. I think I remember your thread where you were trying to decide on sinks - glad you're happy with your decision!

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

I had a single bowl sink before, but I have to say I never even really anticipated the extent I would LOVE the oversized single bowl sink (have the Artisan which is 31 1/2 wide by 9 inches deep, ten with the granite) I am using now. Even the largest pots, pans and cutting boards fit in there easily and are a breeze to clean. I have a grid on the bottom, which is great for draining things, helps make the height extremely comfortable for working, and protects the sink at the same time).

• debs3
    14 years ago

This is a question for the people who prefer a large single bowl sink.

Do you use a dish pan in it?

I figured if I had a single bowl I would always have a dish pan in it. So I decided on a double bowl.

Thank you.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i don't think i've ever heard of anyone who didn't love a single bowl sink. many people on the fence but once you cross over you can't believe what you've been missing!

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it isn't too deep just something to think about. And I can wash my dog in it!! I'll post pictures next week of that. Forgot this time. Perfect-O.

I bought it from faucetdirect. It's a proflow as someone here suggested to me [thank you].

Here it is.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/proflo-pfus309-basin-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink-from-the-commercial-series/p571668?term=PFUS309

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I love my deep deep single bowl sink.

I knew you'd love yours. It feels deep becasue you
    are not used to it but in a few more days you will
    love it. The deep size hides those dirty holiday dishes.

~boxerpups

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

Debs3 - in answer to your question, I myself don't use a separate dish pan in my single bowl sink, but I've read on this forum that a lot of people do, so it's personal choice. I try to use my dishwasher as much as possible, rather than washing things in the sink. I also use my disposal A LOT for scraping stuff off the dishes. When I do need to wash things by hand, such as knives, large pots and pans, Grandma's platter, etc., I usually let them soak with water inside of them (you can do that easily with a single bowl sink, with multiple items at once, yeah!), then wash with a dobie sponge and soap, rinse under the faucet, and put on a dish towel to dry. So, I don't have any need for a dish pan, but that's my method, and everyone has different methods, so others like to use a dish pan.

• susie1010
    14 years ago

I have the Franke PRX110-21 single bowl that is 9" deep and love it. We have the grate in the bottom that takes up about 1". So, you can use one to decrease the depth. There is a second grate available that sits on the upper integral ledge, if you really need it more shallow, but I've never tried it. The bottom grate was highly recommended by our KD and it's one of the best things in the kitchen. If you sit things on it, the water goes under it. You can use it as a drain for some things. I am 5'2" and the overall depth works out well. Also consider the height of your cabinets/counter top. I've heard variations.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

Actually debs3, before our sink was installed I bought a dishpan to keep under the sink anticipating needing one. Our Blanco Silgranit single bowl sink has been in for 3 months and I've never used/needed the pan.

I have a small sink grid on the left (drain on the right) that is always in the sink and that gets used regularly. It's a very ergonomic set up. I personally wouldn't go back.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Hey, Tntw, I remember your thread when you were deciding on a sink. Congratulations! I just looked at your sink, and it's a beauty (I'll link it below so people can easily see it). Love the rectangular shape, it looks so roomy. And love the drain offset to the rear. That means you'll have extra room under the sink for storage, the disposal, etc. (Just like once you have a single bowl, you don't want a double bowl, well, once you have an offset drain, you don't want a drain in the center!)

I hadn't heard of the Proflo brand, but it looks like a great sink. We are always looking on this forum for new sink brands!

Here is a link that might be useful: Proflo SS Single Bowl Sink

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOVE MY ALLORA TOO!!

TRISH

• judydel
    14 years ago

I'm still loving my 1.75 sized sink because it has a FULL SIZE basin on one side and a smaller basin on the other for a dish drain. So I feel I'm getting the best of both worlds. I'd hate a double bowl if one bowl wasn't full size. That would make me feel claustrophobic!

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

debs3, LOL, what is a dishpan? Just kidding of course. For me, if something needs to soak it's either a pan or a pot, which doesn't need to be in a dishpan - otherwise everything else gets washed in hot water, rinsed and dried as I go. 90% of everything goes in the dishwasher, in any case.

• shmoop
    14 years ago

I went from a single to a double (50/50) and I am thrilled. We always used to have something that needed to air-dry, and it would end up in the counter. Now it's in the bowl with the drainer and I have my counter back.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I totally understand your new love. Large single bowl sinks are WONDERFUL!

The cookie sheets on the bottom are 13" x 17 3/4". That alone makes having this sink worthwhile. LOL.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Shelayne, what sink is that?

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Writersblock,

So sorry I just now saw this. My sink is a Westbrass Mitrani Quartz sink. I really love it. It is reversible, but I chose the fluted side. I bought a sink grid from Blanco that fits the dimensions well because there was no sink grid for this sink at the time I bought it. Mine is 30"x 20"x 10" deep, and I have it on a 30" base cab that we modified.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks! It looks great with your blue pearl.

• ella_socal
    14 years ago

I love my single bowl sink! It's a Shaw's 36" so it's huge. I'd only had double bowls my entire life and I'd never go back. I'm kind of surprised that the double bowl is still standard in new homes (in my experience...).

• beth
    14 years ago

Shelayne - How did you modify the base cabinet?

• shelayne
    14 years ago

pasture19, We have IKEA cabinets that are very hacker friendly.

We cut back the sides, and screwed in 2x4 supports to make a cradle for the sink. It looked like this:

View from underneath:

How it sits in the base now:

We did it this way because we needed every single inch on this run. If space were not an issue, we would have constructed a face frame for the sink. When we do the finishing pieces, we will scribe trim for the sides of the sink, as it ever-so-slightly tapers on the sides.

Hope that helps! Merry Christmas!

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

i am also am thinking of a split 50/50 because i handwash lots of things like bowls and pots and pans and don't want them sitting out on the counter. i thought it would be nice to put a drainer in one side to regain counter space and hide the washed items a bit. i guess if i were more ambitious, i would dry everything as i cleaned up.

• pam2007
    14 years ago

I did dishes last night at my SIL's house in her brand new kitchen with a 1/4 - 3/4 split sink. Neither is full size and it was torture. Her husband (my brother) insisted on that sink, No wonder he wasn't doing the dishes. I came home and gave my big single sink a kiss!!

• pearsth
    14 years ago

I am about to buy a copper sink for our kitchen remodel. We had decided on a double bowl 33" wide 10" deep sink. I have always had double bowls and found myself perplexed at how you are all using a single bowl.

I don't have loads of counter space...what are you all doing when you wash pots and pans? Are you drying them one at a time and putting them away? Are you putting a towel out on the counter and laying them up there as they come out of sink?

I used to work in restaurants as a teen and have done more than my fair share of dishwashing. Every restaurant I had worked in used a double bowl. Sure, they were like two laundry tubs side by side huge, but the operation is the same. Wash, rinse, stick it in the "rinse" sink until ready to put away. Lazy old me never towel drys. I let them dry in the sink and come back later to put away or put away the next day.

Thanks,

Tom

• pam2007
    14 years ago

Yep....I put a towel next to the sink and put the clean dishes there until I'm ready to dry or they air dry. If it's a big Holiday I have a "designated dryer" I put everything I can into the dishwasher and hand wash the large items and fragile items. I will always have a single bowl sink.

• marytwit
    14 years ago

I'm with Tom -- everyone's in love with a single bowl sink and would never go back to a double bowl but I'm not clear why. Is it mainly that you can fit anything you want to wash inside it? If so, I see the advantage.

For me the disadvantage is not being able to DIVIDE dirty from clean-but-need-to-drain dishes. Feels kind of icky to have everything in the same space:

• spin_mom
    14 years ago

I had a large single bowl sink and never really thought much about it until I moved to the house I am in now with a double bowl sink, which I absolutely hate. It is 30 inches total width with the small prep sink about 1/3 of the width and the depth is only about 4" and has the garbage disposal in it, the other sink is deeper, but just not wide enough. It is soo difficult to handwash cookie sheets, or large pans. Whoever designed that sink certainly never washed any dishes. I still have to airdry things on the counter because neither bowl is big enough. (I guess I could towel dry...)I could see getting a double bowl sink if I had a much bigger kitchen with both bowls being 30", however I just don't have enough counter space for that. So, I can't wait to get my new 30" single bowl sink.

• skyedog
    14 years ago

Marytw, Tom,

Confession time - my previous sink was a single bowl and I hated it so much it was a driving force in my remodel. Only having one drain hole was a huge problem in my family - we constantly had to run to use the bathroom sink if the one lone kitchen bowl was being used.

I never admitted it here because the opinions are so strong and evidently I am the only one whe ever disliked (make that HATED) a single bowl. I put in a large/small bowl combo with a low divide so large pans fit but I can now keep my dishwater clean and hot if need be.

• paula0564
    14 years ago

In order to center my sink in the middle of my kitchen window, we are going with a single bowl sink. I am so used to a double bowl. I was really afraid that I'd hate not having two. It's great to hear that people like their singles. Thanks !

• zeebee
    14 years ago

I don't have loads of counter space...what are you all doing when you wash pots and pans? Are you drying them one at a time and putting them away? Are you putting a towel out on the counter and laying them up there as they come out of sink?

I have almost no counter space and a decent-sized single bowl sink. I have a dishrack that I set up next to the sink when I do the dishes, and I put them away when dry. When not in use, the dishrack goes underneath the sink.

I love my single bowl. My MIL just replaced her old double-bowl sink with a new one, and Xmas dinner prep and clean-up in her kitchen was a nightmare. She uses the smaller bowl to drain dishes, but the tall dishes/pans which were draining kept interfering with the swing of the (too-short) faucet from one bowl to the other. Plus, since there was a big meal being fixed, the small bowl was always full of draining dishes. And her bigger bowl is not close to large enough to fit a 13x9 lasagna pan, so all the dirty pans from cooking the dinner side-dishes got filled with soapy water and lined up on the kitchen counter for a pre-soak. Once the washing started, the unlucky dishwasher had to scrub one half of the pan, dump the water, then maneuver to do the other half, back and forth, until the pan was clean.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I had a single bowl sink in an apartment I rented many years ago. I didn't like or appreciate it--probably because I didn't have a dishwasher, and my kitchen was just a tiny little thing with a total of 60" of counterspace, of which 20-25" was sink, and it wasn't very deep, either.

The thing I now realize about having a large single bowl sink is that you can easily make two sinks with a wash pan, but you can never make two bowls into one large one. That was the clincher for me. I also have a sink grid which I can leave the dishes on to air dry, if I want. Additionally, we have a prep sink, so if the large sink is otherwised occupied, we can use the prep sink. I love having this large single bowl sink now.

• marytwit
    14 years ago

Skyedog, zeebee,

Thanks for your observations. I agree about the two drains.

I used a divided sink at Christmas, one side very small, and didn't like it. So I'm going for the Kohler smart divide sink with two equal sized bowls, which should work for my handled fry pans but not lasagna dishes or cookie sheets unless I fill up the whole sink with water. Guess it's a matter of figuring out which thing makes you the most crazy -- I have a single bowl sink in a lake house that doesn't have a dishwasher and really hate it. If there were a dishwasher, it would be fine.

• threegraces
    14 years ago

This is a great thread as I too, was perplexed about why anyone would want a single bowl sink. We handwash lots of things (DH is picky about his cookware and cutlery) so I am still not sure how it would work, however space-wise a single bowl might be all we can fit if I get the apron sink I covet.

I think I need to see this in person and stick my hands in them to see how they feel.

• inox
    14 years ago

Those of you who would like a high-end dishpan might consider the Normann Copenhagen Washing-Up Bowl:

Here is a link that might be useful: Normann Copenhagen Washing-Up Bowl

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I have a single bowl now, and it works well. However, we are two people, and only one cooks.

I can't imagine a family with a single-bowl sink during a big dinner, unless you also have a separate prep sink. One thing may need to be soaking while another thing needs to be rinsed. You may have veggies in the sink while somebody needs to wash their hands. I just don't understand how one single bowl could work.