Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Need Quick Answer about No. Lights over Island

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

Yes, me again. And No, I don't have a kitchen plan to share still. Yes, this past Monday was week #3 since we went to meet the designer that our builder uses. Builder isn't happy. KD told me he would be ready NEXT week to show me the first draft. Not acceptable.

But that's not why I'm here.

The island will be 8' long. Currently the builder has 3 recessed lights over it. I want to have chandys over it. I'm not really thinking pendants. They don't have the look I like.

So yesterday when I was meeting the "designer" at the builder to go over my selections (don't even ask) I told her I wanted it roughed in for 2 hanging lights. She said, how about 2 recessed and we rough in the center one for you to add a light.

Um, I"m not sure.

I think I should just ask for 2 rough ins for chandys. Should I be thinking only 1 chandy and keep the recessed lights on each side?

The island is 4x8. What do you think?

thanks,

Bee

Comments (10)

• readyalready
    12 years ago

I have an 8' island, I think my lanterns are 13" wide. I would not want two of anything that was much wider, so the question is how large of a chandelier are you talking about? Unless you have them picked out, or can find a small one you like, I'd probably go with one.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I agree about it being a size issue of the fixture, but I'd lean towards the 2 for that length.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

My island is almost 9 ft, and while I have 3 recessed lights, I've already caught myself thinking about all the ways I could reconfigure the lighting. I think you should consider what the main view behind the island is centered on, and what is on the island. If it's centered on a sink or a window, one chandelier could be a great choice. If it's centered on the vent hood and one centered chandelier would block the view, I think it would compete, but two chandeliers flanking the centered view could be lovely. Yes, that locks you into a specific light size, but that is the case no matter what. We always pick a light fixture to fit our space.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

My island is 4.5' X 7 ft long. I have two somewhat large pendants and no recessed lighting over the island. Our kitchen has recessed lighting around the island on the perimeter but nothing over the island. Between the recessed lights or the pendants or both, there's definitely enough light. I think you could easily do a chandelier or two OR recessed lights but not both. HTH.

• carybk
    12 years ago

I agree with singingmicki-- there are lots of ways to configure the lighting that would work, so what is the backdrop to the lighting itself?

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I also agree with singingmicki (I have 3 can lights over my island, which is 8', and have spent many days dreaming of what my options are) .....

Without knowing your space, I think two mid-sized-chandeliers over an island generally looks more balanced...... In my space, a goose-neck faucet would compete for the same air space as a single chandelier, though. It truly depends on where the other elements are in your kitchen...

• cjc123
    12 years ago

My island is 3 x 9 and I have 3 pendants. Now I know you don't want pendants, however think about this. I have the light closest to the stove and my main prep area on it's own switch and on a dimmer. The other two pendants are on their own switch with dimmer. I love it!! When we sit for dinner all the lights in the kitchen go off, except the two on the table end. The prep light is the only light on at 5:45 am when I am making lunches - on low dimmer, as I wake up I brighten the light. I have recessed around the rest of the kitchen above the walk ways. 7 cans in all - also on dimmers. Back to your question. I like Pretty over the island and have cans in walk ways.

• cobragirl96
    12 years ago

I have a 9.5x4.5 foot island and I went with two 13" pendants (being that they are large pendants, I figured they would be close to the size of a chandelier). For me two made a nice balance and gives plenty of light, while I thought three would look overcrowded. I personally would not mix recessed lights and chandeliers or pendants over the island, but would stick with one of the other. We do have recessed lights around the island, but not over it. Now if only my electrician could get the pendants centered over the island, my kitchen would be all set (but I digress. . .)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Go with the two (modest) chandeliers. This will emphasize the length of the island unit and if there's only a single worker at island, that person will likely stand between them--nothing in way of seeing his/her face from a distance or in looking out from island into adjacent spaces. These lights will also help light the space surrounding the island. Get ones whose bulbs can be dimmed from good and bright to mood/nighlight setting. I know you've already lived with chandelier in kitchen and have weighed the pluses and minuses, but I am always concerned about dusting, so I'd find a chandy that is not entirely clear glass--sparkle sufficient for glitz yet practicality so you don't need to hire help for cleanliness.

I think cans are less welcoming, more shadow-making, less inviting.

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

I agree about not using both over the island. Personally, I'd have recessed cans around the island/kitchen and go with your chandys. Have the chandys on separate switch with dimmers. I think having both would look strange and would take away from the aesthetics of the chandys.

cobragirl... can you post a pic of your island with light fixtures? Your island is very close in size with mine and I was thinking about 3 pendants that are roughly 12.5" each. I'm a little nervous about the overcrowding, but had come to the conclusion that it was ok. Would help if I can see someone else's with similar island dimensions!