Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpeana

Kitchen Peninsula support opinions please

jpeana
11 years ago

Hi, We plan to install a 32" x 36" granite peninsula in our small kitchen reno. It will butt against the wall on the 32" edge and a portion of a longer edge against a cabinet. Any ideas on what I can use to properly support it? On the web, I've seen attractive table legs, some are 5" in diameter but I'm not sure whether this is enough support. Thanks for your opinion. leg examples: http://www.osbornewood.com/35-and-one-half-inches.cfm

Comments (18)

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Before you get to the support issue, is the cabinet 24 inches, leaving you an 8 inch overhang? Are you planning on seating at the overhang?

I think a 5 inch leg might look too wide for a 36 inch peninsula, and it takes away 10 inches of seating. I have 3 1/2 inch legs on my 90 inch peninsula, but I have cabinets and shelves, no seating.

• jpeana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response.. The granite will butt against the wall and butt against the cabinet side. There is no cabinet underneath for support. Nervous about getting it right. thanks, jp

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Check with your granite installer. They should approve your support plan. The 4" leg on my island is brushed steel but it also came is other finishes. It supports 600 lb.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

a leg would be acceptable but if you do a leg make sure the bottom is secured to the floor.

better than a leg is a leg plus a "beam" that runs from the leg to the wall. the beam doesn't interfere with leg space and can make the whole structure more rigid particularly if it's gusseted at the leg.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Yes, a "beam" and cross pieces. Like a table. And make sure that the sides of teh cabinets are reinforced. Most of them are pretty thin and are NOT suitable to attach structural supports to.

• jpeana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all.. counters are in and v happy. The penninsula is here in its corner and awaiting its throne :-( Debrak, do you know the manuf/supplier of the leg you used? It sounds like it may work. Im also thinking of a table base as a possible solution. She is 33x36. ps.. we should be holiday shoppin!! lol

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I will get the details and post back tonight.

Here are some photos. Note that the granite is on a plywood base for a heating element. There is more weight that needed support. We added sheet bars you can see. Our granite installer approved this before we did it. You can see the leg which I know comes in different finishes. This is brushed steel.

This photo shows a little bracket added at the floor just to be extra sure. It was DH's idea not the installer but again we have extra weight to deal with so I would not think you would need that.

• jpeana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!, I purchased the leg in the photo but not totally comfy with its size. I think I will explore metal leg further. Debrak, Does your leg have a 600 lb capacity? I like that very much.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Sorry I never posted back with the details on the leg. I'm 99% that it supports 600 lbs. I get the details from my DH and post back asap.

• jpeana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debrak.. dont worry.. I think I got it.. Im thinking black...
    http://www.kehardware.com/thicker-34-x-3-set-p-138.html?cPath=371_35

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

jpeana,
    could you just leave the metal leg you have and build box column around it?

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

it comes in different finishes including black....I will post this evening EST with the company name etc.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

ok this is what i found out. yes its rated for 600 lbs. About 3 inches in diameter. its was less than a hundred $.

my shift key is not working.

the one you posted looks similair but it says you have to order 4. we didn't just one. it came in black and different finishes.

DH will try to find the company name later might not be able to. some info we had on a laptop was lost.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Can you post another photo of the kitchen? what other colors are in the room?

• jpeana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks D, trying to decide upon metal (brushed metal or black.. radiator under peninsula is black) vs wood thx..

• jpeana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to let you know how things worked out.. I went with a 4" wooden island leg, attached to the granite and anchored to the floor. I think its best to paint it vs stain.. probably to match cabs. Many thanks to all for your help!!

• Alissa Talley-Pixley
    2 years ago

we have two posts and a small apron around a piece of OSB that sits on the window sill for the other support. quartzite on top