Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorenza5064_gw

Toe Kicks, Form vs. Function

Lorenza5064
11 years ago

I would like to minimize the use of toe kicks in the design of my new kitchen. Traditionally they are always present in prep areas to allow for ease of use/accessibility for sinks, appliances, etc. I love the look of a "closed toe kick, no toe kick, hutch base"in a kitchen. Refer to grlwprls post on 6 december for a lovely photo image. Can the toe kick be altered to be more shallow than typical or eliminated altogether without compromising the function in a hardworking kitchen space? Please advise with first hand experience. Ciao

Comments (10)

• localeater
    11 years ago

There is a toe kick standard, but you can do pretty much anything you want, assuming your cabinet company, installers comply. I actually went with a deeper than normal toekick on my island to give it a more modern look and a floaty feel.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I think having a toekick lets you get closer to the counter, or makes it more comfortable to be closer but I agree that toe-less pic of grl's is beautiful.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

There was a thread about this a little while ago, and someone pointed out what I'd never considered before: how much toe kick you need depends on, among other things, the size of your feet and stomach! The toes of someone with an ample midriff will never reach into the toe kick area, unless his or her feet are very long. I don't have much of a belly and size 8.5 feet, so I use all but about 1" of the toe kick area. Sorry if that's TMI! :) Though I do so love the look of no toe kick, function trumps form for me.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I'm sure you have thought of this already:
    but what about a decorative toe kick?
    See, below, pictures from Torontotim's and Babushkacat's lovely kitchens.
    They have preserved the function of the toe kick while dressing it up.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by francoise47 on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 9:30

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

One thing I might be concerned about is that the bottom of the cabinets may get damaged from shoes that brush against the cabinet and from water when washing the floor.

I love the no kick look but I have toe kicks on all my cabinets so I can't speak from experience but hopefully those who have done the no kick or decorative kick will chime in.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

If I had a floor that had different care requirements than my cabinets -say a tile floor- I might have gone toe kick, but I'm wood on wood and I've always found that near the cabinets I had to use hand cleaning to get the gunk off my baseboards.

As far as working against the no toe kick? For me it wasn't a big deal; I could have gone either way, but I wanted to really define that one bank of cabinets.

• czecheart
    11 years ago

I know this is off topic, forgive me. But I just had to tell michelle 16 I love her kitchen! I've been collecting pic of elements for my redo, you won't believe this but I was staring at her very kitchen about two minutes before I opened this post. Michelle your glass cabinets are very pret-ty. Nice open feeling. The pic I had clipped from somewhere else did not show the whole place like this posting did. Thanks for the inspiration.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Between houses, we rented an old farmhouse. That kitchen had no toe kicks. Straightaway, I learned that toekicks have a very important function in a workspace.

Love the look of the partially closed ones but decided against those, too. Didn't want the nightmare of chasing dog hair out of the nooks & crannies. Also, I go barefoot a lot & thought about the potential of hooking my little toe on one.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

czecheart-thanks! and your welcome!