Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Tile's in - see pic - Mapei grout color Q

theresse
13 years ago

Hi All -

Here are pics of the kitchen as it is at the moment. The tile got put in and grout comes tomorrow but I have to decide between a light, boring gray such as "warm gray" or a darker one such as "Silver" or the slightly tanner gray that is called "Pewter."

The warm gray (light gray) won't make the tile "pop" as they say but WILL let the honed white calacatta marble subway tile show off without having to compete with a too-dark grout (will just look more soft and gentle as marble perhaps should - at least in my kitchen?). The darker ones e.g. Silver will be more period-appropriate and sort of fun and courageous and will hide stains better but the busyness of it might get to be too much over time.

In the end, what simply looks best when the eyes fall upon it? What's your opinion?

Thanks!

p.s. lighting got put in today but the one above the sink is just temporary until the one I ordered arrives (polished nickel canopy and socket and black cloth covered cord with white glass cone shade). The under-cab lights aren't hidden so the contractor will have to install some sort of piece of wood under there to hide it, I imagine. But hey - we're getting closer to the finish line! :)

p.p.s. most of you talk about using clear silicone on the bottom and the corners, etc. My tile guy says he's going to use a siliconized grout that matches the grout we choose. Have you guys heard of this? Where shouldn't he put it - is there a benefit to using clear?

Double thanks!

Comments (20)

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Theresse,

It looks beautiful so far!! My first gut reaction would be not to have a grout that stands out and compete with the tile. I would think that would be better suited for very plain tiles.....but I am a very visual person and could tell you what I like better if I saw photo examples of each.

I'm curious. What did your tiler end up using as his starting point?"

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Lovely tile Theresse! I like the lightest grout (one on the left). The eye should be drawn to this beautiful tile, not to a dark grout that is competing with it!

As for sealing between counter top and tiles plus corners, I was told by the guy who will be putting in my backsplash that you should always use a flexible product => silicone.

Great to see progress despite the difficulties you're facing at the moment.

Petra

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

I can't help you with your grout questions because I'm just not good at that stuff (thus, I'm here all the time. lol) but I did want to post to tell you that I've followed your Kitchen progress for quite awhile and now seeing it with the backsplash you picked....the backsplash is icing on the cake...Perfect!

• prill
    13 years ago

I like the lighter one too. That beautiful tile should stand on it's own and not be broken up by dark grout lines.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Another vote for the lightest one.

I believe Mapei should have a caulk that matches the grout.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Theresse, So fun to see your beautiful marble tile installed -- it is perfect for your kitchen! Everyone of your choices so far have been right on.

I'm not an expert, but it seems that light is the way to go, since, as you say, the tile itself is the feature. (That said, all three grout choices look good.)

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I'm thinking I would go for the silver to see the subwayness a little more and tie to the stainless color a little more. But if I was standing in front of the actual tile, I might feel differently - its that subtle.

Be aware that the sticks aren't exactly color matched to the grout.

Mapei color matched caulk is exactly what you want to use on the bottom seam between the tile and the stainless. In your photo - also between the tile and the window casing. I'm guessing you're adding a light rail to the bottoms of your cabinets so I wouldn't bother to do anything between the tile and the cabinets. If you want more of a finished edge, it would be caulk.

Clear caulk might be used between granite and tile, but it won't make as nice a finished look as it won't hide anything along the edge - like the tiny bits of yellow along your bottom edge..

The "rules" for caulk are at changes of material or change of plane.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

I just went through this decision myself. I have white subways and wanted grey grout. It took me months to decide, running back and forth getting different greys from different manufacturers. Bmore is right, the color will not look the same as the grout stick. You MUST test the grout first, and wait until it dries. I think I brought the pewter home and it wound up looking brown against my white tile. Looking at the sticks, I like the silver, but if you want the grout to blend, the warm grey might be better. Again.....you must test the grouts with sample tiles. Good luck! I think this was one of the more difficult choices in the whole process.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Another vote for the lighter grout. And your tile guy knows what he's talking about.

Very beautiful, btw!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I lean towards the middle one, but think the light could be good too. The one on the right is just not cutting it for me.

On my monitor the middle one seems to blend with the counter and hardware more.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

The natural markings of the stone seem to provide all the pattern you need between the stainless counters and your wonderful upper cabinets. In that context, I would go with the grout that will look most like "no grout," which I believe will be the lightest.

Cheers.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I vote for blend-in grout color--let the tile shine, not the grout lines. Your tile looks awesome, BTW!

Use the matching caulk (TEC makes caulk colors to "match" most of their grouts--some match better than others, but most would be nicer, IMO than clear).

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Blend in. That means the lightest color. You're going with almost a zero-grout-line look, so the grout isn't important to the look of your kitchen. The pattern on the tiles and the overall impression of the BS is what will make your kitchen special.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I vote for white.

No gray or maybe just add a tablespoon of gray to the white grout. You dont want to create an outline for each tile.

The tile is so subtle. White grout will maintain that subtlety.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I vote light left because it is lovely.
    ~boxer

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

I vote middle. I don't think grout should blend in, else you could have put a slab of marble there. Be courageous in your lovely kitchen!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen. The upper cabinets are great. The kitchen is so lovely but what i like is that it also doesn't look like its trying too hard!

enjoy.

PS the lightest grey.
    PPS I think I used the same marble in the MBA in my old house. Timeless.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm... veeeery interesting, this lighter color. It's in now, and has been drying for about 4 hours maybe. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It feels very not-period! Which I knew...I knew that was a risk. It blends in with the veining well but definitely not the main base color of the tiles so it's a very busy effect still, but in this muted, odd way. I don't know where my camera charger is otherwise I'd post a pic! Again, I don't hate it, but now that it's done, I can see the points of those whose comments I've read over time about going either white or dark, but nothing pale. It feels kinda...1980's? Haha now you guys are probably pretty curious what it looks like! ;) For the sake of not competing with the marble while also avoiding staining, I ignored that advice!

The good news is that it perhaps hasn't dried completely so it might lighten up later - plus the tiles themselves are a little dusty (making everything feel just a little dead, for lack of a better word) and I would have I imagine an easier time adding another grout color (or mixing in or laying another color on top or what's there now) since this gray is so light (and there's no sand in it). If it comes to that. even darker might look better as what there is now clearly shows the subway pattern. I'm just glad to have the guy gone cause while he was decent in many ways, I could tell he was one of those typical grouchy, vain types who could easily get upset if he's inconvenienced or made to feel incompetent by a home-owner inquiring about methods and materials...you know the type! They're like doctors who hate it when patients research on the internet, regardless of whether the patient knows to go to reputable sites like the AMA et al.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Irishcreamgirl - thank you for the compliment (curious if you'll still like it now that it's grouted!) and the starting point was being the faucet, between the two windows.

Petra - thank you for your kind comments, including about the whole struggle we're having at home with health. :-/

Amity - you are so kind, thank you for following the progress and liking the flavor of the icing. :) Again, WE SHALL SEE if you still like it once you see the grout! Kinda scary! But I'm not afraid of honest feedback so once you see it, be brutally honest!

Prill - thank you for the feedback!

Sciencechick - thanks for your vote!

Francoise - why thank you! Wow - that's quite the compliment!! :)

Bmorepanic - thank you for reminding me about the rules for caulking! I looked and looked for that and was so glad to find your comment!

Malhgold - how right you were! I should have demanded to see samples on extra tiles or did my homework and done it on my own well ahead of time! I agree about it being one of the more difficult choices. That and the faucet were the two hardest so far!

Red Eared Slider - thank you!

Dianalo - I'm agreeing with you more and more. ;) Either that or something that truly blends in with the base color of the tile. Ah well, you live you learn! And again, I don't hate it. Just not the picture of blending in I had in mind. But the lightest color I offered any of you so in the end you still gave good advice (the majority of them I mean)!

Honorbilkit - thank you for your .02!

Cat mom - thanks for liking the kitchen!

Jakabedy - that "overall impression" is the problem I'm having at the moment. It's okay when you look at individual pieces but all together it looks nice but not great. Hard to explain. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

Pharao - ding ding ding and we have a winner! ;) No - it's okay the way it is, REALLY IT IS! But anyway, I see your point now that it's a bit too late! hahaha. I just was so afraid of it getting stained!

Boxerpups - okay I'm dying for you to see it since you think it's a lovely color. It just doesn't have the overall impression I expected (everything looks gray now, beside a countertop that's gray, so there's just not enough warmth and when the marble wasn't yet grouted, it did indeed look a lot more white, even though the shadows in between the tiles gave the impression of a darker grout!). Also it just doesn't feel very "period" which as you may recall, I get a little hung up on sometimes - especially considering I did something so "out there" by attempting to make stainless look period...so this just adds more modern to an already modern thing happening. But again, this can be lived with and with the right color for the upper cabs and all the nick nacks put back in place, etc., it might look better!

Onedogedie - I'm reading you loud and clear!

Mtnrdredux - Thanks for loving the kitchen! The uppers are original, from 1913. The lowers are what we just replaced since the ones before were put in in the late '70's we think. I'm glad you don't think it's trying too hard! That's funny cause that's something I work hard at - keeping things balanced and relatively simple while still taking into consideration that it's an old house, etc. I appreciate that - and am curious if you'll still think that after you see the grout (not quite the look I was after but it might still pass for not trying too hard)! As for timeless, I feel this grout makes things look a bit more modern (my kitchen is now starting to look like the loft-style hair salon I go to)!! Thank you...