Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidgetgirly

What is the correct name for this?

gidgetgirly
11 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if there's a correct name for an upper cabinet that goes from ceiling to countertop but is stepped back? I'm having a hard time describing what I like. Here's an example on either sides of the sink:

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I call mine a dish hutch.

I store, well, dishes in it. Those look more like appliance garages of some sort. I've seen cabs like this that come down to the counter in general hutch cabs or cab-to-the-counter.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

If you are talking to a cabinet person, you could just say:

"An upper cabinet that rests right on the counter, but is the same depth as a typical upper cabinet".

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

The Schuler/Medallion cabinet spec books list them as "Counter Wall Cabinets with XXX", where XXX describes the lower portion of the cabinet. For example, "Counter Wall Cabinets with Drawers", "Counter Wall Cabinets with Appliance Garage", "Counter Wall Cabinets with Full-Height Doors."

Several other manufacturer's spec books, seem to achieve the look by stacking cabinets. There's lots of design flexibility with 12" deep cabinets.

Maybe some of the KDs will chime in with the correct terminology. HTH.

tmy

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

Exact name will vary by mfg. Simply call them cabinets to the counter, or to the deck, and describe what you want the face to look like.

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses!
    I just didn't know if there was a correct name instead of me saying 'single upper cabinet that goes from ceiling to counter, stepped back with a drawer' etc. That's a mouthful! :)

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And breezygirl, I love your kitchen!! Especially your dish hutch ;)

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

ITA, breezygirl. I've seen elements of your gorgeous and very functional kitchen before, but that hutch is dreamy. Is that lightly seeded glass? Not to hijack, but maybe others would be interested. Thanks!

• shannonplus2
    11 years ago

Just be sure if you decide to have those be part of your cabinetry that you will not be foregoing valuable countertop space. Depends on the spaciousness of your kitchen. I have a friend with cabinets that meet the countertop, and she needs more countertop space for sure. She sometimes has to use the little strip in front of the cabinets which is awkward. Hers are particularly in a bad spot cause they are on either side of her range, to achieve her "hearth" look. It's very pretty and charming, but it means she has no landing space or prep space near her cooking area.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Gidget--thanks! If you want to see more pics, I'll link a thread below.

MizLizzie--I had planned on lightly seeded, but my glass company's sample was too heavy for me so I went with a water glass. Here's a closer pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: My not finished kitchen

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love your waterglass! Beautiful!

• lolauren
    11 years ago

We have one similar cabinet that goes to the counter for dishes. Ours is deeper than an upper, though, because I wanted to fit a lot of large dishes in it. Cabinetmakers will know what you are talking about. I asked for similar as you, "an upper cabinet that comes down to the countertop.... that is X" deep." You could always send/show a photo as an example so you are confident you are understood.