Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here it is.... my 99.5% finished IKEA kitchen

Posted by caligal (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 31, 08 at 2:09

I still need to clean up my tile haze, but here it is. Feels so good to be finished! I can't thank all you wonderful GWebbers enough! So many people helped me here and on IKEA fans.

Went with a bisque 2"X 4" tile. Hardest decision of the entire kitchen.

I made my tiny 8' X 9' kitchen seem much larger by extending the cabinets across the dining room wall. We also took down the high bar and made it one large work surface/bar area.

I designed the kitchen. My DH and I built the cabs. Our handyman did everything else, except the countertops and tile.

The total cost $14,100

before
before

now
full backsplash

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here it is.... my 99.5% finished IKEA kitchen

Wow! What an amazing transformation! My favorite parts are your utensil/towel rack, your coffee area with open shelving, your new island all at one level, your wall sconce, your glass doors, and your backsplash tile.

Congratulations on a fantastic new space!

Erika

o

Clean, bright, and very cute! I really like the coffee area and the dining area cabinets. Your backsplash and counter choices are great.

o

So much bigger and brighter! I love your 12" deep storage wall with the wine nook at the end. Such a great use of space! You and DH did a great job making a small space feel so much bigger. I love the mini subways. Great choices!

o

What a great new kitchen! It was hard enough painting my cabinets, I can't imagine building them too -- you did a great job, they look wonderful!

Can you tell me more about your trash pull-out? Your trash cabinet looks small like mine. Specifically, I'd like to know the width of the cabinet and the manufacturer of the sliding hardware. Any info would be so appreciated!

Hope you're enjoying your new kitchen. Maybe mine will be done someday too!

o

Very nice. Part of me really wishes I went the ikea route.

How do you like your Cafe appliances so far?

o

What a gorgeous kitchen!! I love seeing such great kitchens that were done on a budget. Would you mind adding your kitchen to the "show us your under $20K kitchen" thread? It would be in inspiration to a lot of people!

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Under $20K kitchens

o

Cabinets going to the ceiling are really nice around the range! It feels like a cozy (don't read small!) cooking center. The stainless racks and shelves are creative and timeless. They would go in a contemporary or vintage kitchen. You have me thinking, once again, how to fit in a utensil rack. I love those.

o

Nice! Very happy and bright, and looks very functional, too. Your towel rack is neat- I think I might try to steal that idea!

o

What a great use of the space. You seemed to have thought of everything. A perfect combo of form and function. Enjoy!

o

Great, great job!!! I love seeing Ikea kitchens. Like jax1723, I too wish I had more seriously considered Ikea. I now have a deposit elsewhere, but will be incorporating some of the Ikea pantries into the design.

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

o

Wow - it's wonderful!! I love Ikea. Your backsplash is great - can I ask what tiles those are? Congratulations on a really nice job!

o

Thank you all for your nice comments. I was hoping to see something here this morning. What amazes me is the fact that I lived with the "before" kitchen for 15 years. Guess that also helped decide what I needed though.

happytobehome, trash pullout is IKEA with their hardware (Blum). It is a 12" wide pullout cab. It actually includes a 3 drawer option, but i chose 2. One for my large trash bin and one above.

jax, about the cafe suite, we had damage problems upon delivery, but once i got my 3rd, yes 3rd range, everything went great. I love my appliances. I didn't think i would like the french door bottom freezer, but I really can put a lot of food in there! The bottom baskets make it easy to stack lots of food and have easy access.

I just smile whenever I walk in my kitchen.

My son said I need to show this pic of my shelf.
coffee shelf art

o
Tiles

November, the tile is by Adex. The color is bisque.
The 2"X 4" tiles came mesh mounted in a brickwork pattern.
I purchased it through The Expo.

o

Wow, thank you for posting! I'm doing Adel white with a subway tile backsplash, too, and it's really helpful to see one finished like this. It looks great, I feel so reassured! Can you tell me what bin you put in the 12" pullout? We got a 12" pullout for trash, too, and the only bin I could find online is the whole rev-a-shelf system that costs $280 or something ridiculous like that. I don't need the pullout hardware, just a bin!

o
bin

The trash bin is also from IKEA. The article number on the bottom says #401.107.42. Maybe you can order it online?

o

Looks great! We're in the planning stages of an IKEA kitchen, and I love how yours has turned out. We have a similar "before" issue and I'm curious as to how you came to your decision to make a change -- you changed the "raised" breakfast bar to a single flat surface bar. The flat surface is much more current, but do you have any misgivings about not being able to "hide" what is on the counter? Actually, maybe it would encourage me to not have as much stuff on the counter in the first place!

o

I really love the new kitchen and can't believe it is mostly all from Ikea. It is happy, bright and beautiful. I love the pull-out trash can drawer also. You did a wonderful transformation and I thank you for sharing.

o

kitchen looks great.
god bless ikea

o

Really bright and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

o

Oh wow! That is an amazing transformation! The space looks so much bigger and brighter. Every time someone posts their IKEA kitchens I get a little thrill because we are doing same. When I see such beautiful finished kitchens, I KNOW it can be done! Love it!

Congratulations and ENJOY!

o

You did a great job. I am in awe. I love the mini tiles , the beverage center, and the wine cubbies. Fun, functional, and pretty. Congratulations and enjoy!

o

Kitchen looks great! Lots of really nice details - obviously a lot of thought went into this. I love the wine cubbies, the cool color scheme, and *love* the backsplash - I'm wishing now I'd gone for 2x4 rather than 3x6.

Amazing you were able to do all that for that amount of money. Good job! Enjoy your new kitchen!

o

Looks great, wonderful job, caligal. You created a really marvelous space on such a tight budget. Love the adel white.

o

jakabedy, I saw a galley kitchen at IKEA that was about the same size as mine and it had a large, one level bar area. I knew then, that is what I would do with the split level bar in my kitchen. I did used to hide all kinds of crap behind the old bar. Now, the area is pretty tidy. I can still hide quite a good amount of dishes in my sink because it is so much deeper than my last sink.

I try to tidy-up the kitchen each evening before bed. Not sure how long that will go on ;).

o

So bright and cheerful, I love it! I wanted to do Ikea but I have a weirdly spaced, teeny galley, and there would have been so much hacking that I gave up.

Stupid question, because I asked this at Ikeafans and no one answered. What size trash bags do you use for the Rationell can? I tried 13 gallon but they don't stretch over the opening. I tried Simplehuman's 10 gallon (meant for their under cab can) and they were better but still did not go all the way. I think yours does! So now I'm curious.

o

beccamj, not a stupid question. I had to search for a bag to fit. I found "Hefty, the Gripper", 13 gal. It has a stretchy drawstring that fits across the top.

o

Three things I love about your remodel concerning excellent and clever use of space. The cabinet run that extends to the eating area looks like a pantry hutch with a good amount of storage and extra service area. The cabinets above your shelf make so much sense. You can use that smaller cabinet and not have to open a such a big door. Finding more surface area by eliminating the bi-level area was a simple, effective solution.
Enjoy many happy events in your new space.

o

Fantastic! Thanks so much, that will be the next thing I get after I use up these "almost fit" Simplehuman bags.

o

What a wonderful job y'all have done--your kitchen looks great!

o

It's GREAT!! And to think that you did it all for 14k! We also have the Cafe range, but ours has no cabinets around it yet. It looks great in a finished kitchen, I can't wait! Looks like you did a terrific job using your space -- good designing! I love the coffee area (what's the board thing on the wall, a shelf? A cutting board?) and the other nooks. It just goes to show how effective and NICE a small kitchen can be.

o

egganddart49, it is a cutting board. IKEA makes all kind of things to hang off that shelf. There is a cutting board, spice rack, paper towel holder, utensil holder, different size hooks, and more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grundtal series

o

Congratulations on a great job. We also went with Ikea, and it's lovely to see such a great affordable and stylish inspiration kitchen posted. I really like the way the dropped cabinet height and recessed niche set off the dining area from the kitchen.

For anybody eyeballing a 12" wide trash pullout, we did that too but are using a counter-tall bin (cutting down to fit a standard one from Home Depot, copying one posted with pix on ikeafans.com). We had to buy the whole 3-tray pull-out from Ikea to get the bottom one, so have the rest put away in the basement, and it's nice to see how you're using it. If I ever decide we don't need such a tall can (overall, it's extremely convenient but fairly large for empty-nesters), I know what to do with the top tray. Thanks!

o

Caligal,

My apologies for getting to the party late. Your kitchen rocks! And what a great example of balance! You have done a fantastic job of recruiting every bit of your space into service without also creating an environment that looks crowded and cramped. If those backsplash tiles were your hardest decision, take a big pat on the back! The pattern of the subways bring diversity to the design scheme while their white color allows them to blend into the small space without overpowering it. And, on top of it all, you have designed and constructed a wonderful new kitchen without busting the budget. That's a fine piece of work there. You go!

o

I've been looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen, and I love it! Bookmark, bookmark!

Thanks for sharing -- I love Adel white, and all your choices look fantastic with it. What a quietly warm, beautiful, functional place to cook!@

Chris

o

You did a fantastic job and I think your new kitchen's beautiful! Can you tell me what is the make & model of your oven/range?

o

The range is a GE cafe range. Mine is all gas, but comes dual fuel or electric. It has 2 ovens and convection bake/roast which I use often. I think this is the model# CGS980

o

GREAT JOB! I'm doing an Adel White kitchen as well, and I love seeing great kitchens that let me know I made the right choice!

What did you use for your wine cubbies? Did you just use a side cover panel and cut it to the pieces you needed?

Enjoy your new space!

o

Thanks again everyone for all the lovely compliments.

justnotmartha, the cubbies were cut from side cover panels. They don't even go all the way to the back wall, but you can't tell unless you peek inside.

o

Your kitchen is wonderful! It looks so happy. Changing the bar, extending in to the DR and using white/stainless made a huge difference. It really looks much bigger. Congratulations on such a fine job. Enjoy your new kitchen!

Cindy

o

Hope you are still around. I have been looking at IKEA kitchens and love yours. Can you tell me more about your dining area cabinets, sizes specifically?

o

Hi kelby, the cabinets are all 12" deep and 24" wide. The pantries are 80" high. The middle cabs are 30" high. I really like my pantries because nothing is ever lost due to the 12" depth.

o

Hi Caligal,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us! I am admiring your pendant ceiling lighting - may I ask the brand and where you purchased it? I've searched the web and haven't stumbled on anything similar.. I'm currently planning my own IKEA Kitchen and the photos of your kitchen have really inspired me. Thanks so much!

o

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!!!!!!

I have the IKEA catalog but never in a million
years could I have created such a great kitchen.
You have inspired me to think outside the box
as I do some small changes in my own kitchen.
I love the wine cubby. Adorable.

o

Wow! Very well done; and an amazingly finished job. The kitchen certainly looks much more "designer" type. Very elegant, and very good use of space.

o

Gorgeous!! You did such a great job. Was the skylight already there? Really nice combo of backsplash, cabs, and counter... I love it!
Stacey

o

degrrl -- I think those are Pottery Barn pendants. We thought of using them ourselves but went with something else in the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Rustic Glass Pendant

o

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I have been absent from this site (working on bathroom now, ughh).

Yes, those are PB Glass Pendants. I love them, but they do show dust. I dust them once a week.

The skylight was an existing one and is the only window in the kitchen.

o

Hi caligal!
May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

o

Yes, I would love to starpooh. I am super busy right now, but will try to do the checklist this weekend.

o

Wow, very nice, streamlined, and clean. I tend more towards the traditional style, but I can really appreciate what you did in your kitchen. Congratulations!!! It turned out great. I'll be happy if mine turns out as well ;-).

o

$14K?? Woo-hoo!! You may win the prize for "bang for the buck." That came out great!!! Modern yet inviting, and incredibly space-efficient. Love the backsplash.

Looking at your kitchen makes me want to go to Europe. Or at least to Ikea. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here