Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becs83

Cream kitchen looks yellow

becs83
10 years ago

Hi this is my first post. I'm in the process of having a new kitchen fitted and I'm so upset. It was cream in the show room but now it looks yellow. The fitters are still in the process of fitting and tiling. What can I do to make it look cream?

My tiles are mosaic behind range (black,silver,chrome)

Work tops black astral (sparkly)

Main tiles are grey with grey grouting.

Floor tiles also cream (same cream as cupboards but they don't look yellow??????

Would changing lighting help?

Comments (18)

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a couple photos. Grouting and handles still to do. Up stands too.

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo

• mailfox7
    10 years ago

Might be my monitor, but it looks like a lovely cream to me.

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think my I pad has taken a good photo. It looks more yellow in the "flesh"

• kariwb
    10 years ago

I don't think it looks terribly yellow either, but if it does in person, I think it is because you have chosen mostly cool, gray tones for the juxtaposed finishes. Or at least it appears on my laptop that it is the contrast between the backsplash/countertops and the cream cabinets that makes the cream seem very warm.

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

Looks cream on my monitor, too. And, upscale and beautiful, I might add. I think I would finish the installation and then experiment with different types of light bulbs. They could definitely make a difference.

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to those who have replied, I really appreciate your taking time to help and reassure me.

Def going to change lighting, hoping handles will help tie the schemes together.

Any suggestions for a wall paint

• millworkman
    10 years ago

School Bus yellow (lol)!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Would you be interested in a brown or greige? One of the browner or warmer tones from your gray backsplash? I think that would help make your cream a little less warm. I think that it's reading warmer because it is contrasted with your cool finishes, especially the mosaic behind the stove. But really it looks lovely!

[Modern Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by Wellesley Kitchen & Bath Designers Divine Kitchens LLC

Warm cream walls could be another option?

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Louisville Architects & Designers Rock Paper Hammer

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's greige???

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Your cabinets definitely look creamy to me, not at all yellow. I also have cream cabinets with dark gray counters. Throughout the day, depending on the light, there will be changes in the perceived color, particularly from light reflected off foliage outside. Sometimes my cabs have a greenish aura. But they remain cream and my brain (and hopefully yours in your situation) compensates for that and they will remain cream.

Your kitchen is beautiful. Many of us experience a strong reaction when new things get installed. Oh no!!! It's the shock of the change. Previously I had a lots of golden oak and suddenly I had white (cream really) and dark. It was too much for me at first. I'm fine now. :)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

We can't realistically see what you do, it could very well be too yellow, but the photos show a very pretty color combination! I really like the cool and warm together and it is a refreshing variation on black and white kitchens. The backsplash looks brown, maybe it's a warm gray? That could be why it all ties together so beautifully. There appears to be some warm gray in the mosaic too.

It does take a while to adjust to the changes and to those materials that arrive in a different color than the sample or what you thought something was going to be! You just have to live with it a while.

Yes you could change to a cooler light bulb. 3000K or above. I find them too cool and bright but a lot of people like them and they do wash colors out.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 14:46

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I found this pic which nicely illustrates the effect of different lighting temperatures.

Source: http://www.superbrightleds.com

• romy718
    10 years ago

Looks like a creamy white to me too. Also, not done so don't panic. As others have said...change can be a shock and make you doubt your choices. Once everything is in place and you are used to it, I bet it will be perfect and you will love it. If not, you can play around with lighting.
    A greige is a grey with beige undertones or a color between grey and beige.
    Examples are Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, Grant Beige or Bennington Grey.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It's funny they call 3000K warm. To me it is very cool and white. I can't imagine living in 3500 or above and find 3000 up can take on a fluorescent look. Maybe too much in contrast to the warm furnishings.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Lighting and what you paint the surrounding walls will help.
    The same thing happened to me. I chose the white cabinets from the showroom because I saw them! When installed they became very white in my kitchen with lots of natural light. The showroom has minimal natural lighting.
    We did change our light bulbs (don't remember what we did exactly)
    At this point you need to take a deep breath and finish what you are doing. Take a step back and reassess.

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe how helpful people are on this website. Thank you so much.

• becs83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe how helpful people are on this website. Thank you so much.