Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thepeppermintleaf

Extra wide stiles in upper corners and by fridge?

thepeppermintleaf
10 years ago

I have tried finding posts about this, but couldn't find anything. We will be doing custom cabinets (making the boxes ourselves and having a local Amish man doing the doors), and I added an extra 3" piece of trim in the corner uppers and to the upper cabinet box by the fridge. We are getting ready to order so I am going over all the details.

The original reason I did this was so that the 2 uppers flanking the range would be the same size - 24.5" (the range could not move due to gas line). Then I needed to make the 2 uppers flanking the sink also be the same size (for symmetry).

Also, I thought it would have the benefit of preventing the cabinet doors from banging into each other (or into the fridge cabinet) as much since there would be some extra space. I know we will lose some of the access into those cabinets by having a wider trim piece.

My question- does anyone think this will look weird in real life? Any other negatives? Has anyone added this extra wide stile/trim piece and could share some pics or experiences?

Here are some pics to give a better idea:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)