Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isixpacku

Need help picking a light fixture for banquette

isixpacku
9 years ago

The major part of our kitchen renovation has been finished for many months now, and we have been busy living life. I have put off picking out a fixture to go over the table for the banquette because I haven't found something I have fallen in love with. I have contemplated hiring an interior decorator to help pull the last bit of the kitchen and family room together (there is more decorating work to be done in the family room than kitchen). In the kitchen I need to still pick out a new lighting fixture, buy different chairs for the table, and pick out fabric for the banquette cushions. I know how helpful this group is and thought I would solicit your opinions on light fixtures.

The table for the banquette is 48" wide by 70" long. With that shape I was thinking that something rectangular might work better than a circular chandelier. The pendants over the island are Hudson Valley Darien 8" in distressed bronze. I fell in love with the pendants and would love to have something over the table that is equally as beautiful and bronze in color.

Here are a couple photos I took of the kitchen just now.
{{gwi:2140799}}

{{gwi:2140800}}
{{gwi:2140801}}

Here are the fixtures I am looking at for the banquette:
Hubbardton Forge New Town
DIMENSIONS: 22" h. x 35.6" l. x 16.9" w.
{{gwi:2140802}}

Kichler Lighting Circolo in 6 or 8 lights

6 light:
Width: 26.00 in.
Height: 26.50 in.
{{gwi:2140803}}

8 light:
Length: 36.50 in.
Width: 14.50 in.
Height: 39.25 in.
{{gwi:2140804}}

Hinkley lighting Bolla
Width: 24.0"
Height: 24.0"
{{gwi:2140805}}

Visual Comfort Square Tube Hanging Shade
Height: 21"
Width: 24"
{{gwi:2140806}}

As you can probably tell I am all over the place with what I like. I am not really sure what works. If you all have any opinions you want to share, I would love to hear them!

Comments (8)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Of your choices, I think the last one would compliment your pendants best.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

My fav is the bolla but I don't know about a rectangular fixture on a round/oval table. Is that first fixture round? Hard to tell by the pic.

I love your banquette and I'm so envious! We had one in the plan but it was cut due to budget. :(

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

I like the last fixture, also. I don't think the rectangular shape of 2 works well with the table, and may be overwhelming. Both 1 and 2 read a little more transitional/modern than your style looks from the photo. I don't like 3, but that's just personal preference.

If you post pics of your family room, I'm sure we could come up with fabric and chair options.

Your kitchen looks great!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Nice kitchen. I like the last one too. You could also do a chandelier whose 'spokes' have the same triangular shades as your pendants.

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - Thanks for the photoshop magic. I think that fixture looks like it would go pretty well with the kitchen. I will probably explore for more that style and see what else I can find.

viennamommy - Thanks. We really like the banquette. We are a family of 6 and if we ever had people over before we had to try to squeeze around our previous table and be extremely crowded or eat in two separate rooms. With three little kids we can easily fit 8 or more at the table. Plus now we have the seating at the island. It's worked out great.

myfoursons - You are right about those fixtures. I really like them but in general the kitchen is very traditional. Thanks. I will post pictures of the family room a little bit later today. Decorating is not my forte and I would love the input.

Hydragea - Thanks. Walking into the kitchen each day still makes me happy. It is such a big improvement from what we had before. I will look for a chandelier like you mentioned as an option too.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

do u want "up" lighting or "down" lighting???

1st 3 are "up"....not much light concentrated on your table....
    choice will depend on your lighting preference....

i have a hubbardton forge chandy and love it...they are so beautiful and extremely well made and $$$$ ....
    u can pick your own glass for each fixture so this gives some options/flexibility...i do love the "new town" fixture but i think they have better options for your space....
    they are also made in USA, if this is important to you.....

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

My fav is the last one too and I think the photo-shop image shows it will work stylistically.

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found a couple additional fixtures which are similar to the Visual Comfort one I posted previously and one from Pottery Barn where the shade has a similar shape to the pendants. I am also going to repost the previous favorite one so that are all on one post. I think I am leaning towards order the Visual Comfort one but would love to get more opinions.

Visual Comfort Original
    {{gwi:2140806}}

Visual Comfort Barbara Barry Westport
    {{gwi:2140807}}

Hudson Valley
    {{gwi:2140808}}

Pottery Barn - this one but in bronze instead of brass
    {{gwi:2140809}}

Also, I took some photos of the family room. It is more full than normal with the Christmas decorations. What color do you think would work for the banquette cushions? What color chair would you replace with wood ones with? For the banquette and chairs I really need some type of leather or vinyl because my little kids (1.4, 3.5, 5.5) are messy as you expect. I also need help with furniture and decorations for the family room. With the dark furniture, dark wood coffee and end table, and the wood floors in this house it is just too much darkness. I haven't found I rug I like and desperately need one but don't really know what would look good. I will probably also post in the home decorating forum. Any insight you all have is much appreciated.
    {{gwi:2140810}}
    {{gwi:2140811}}
    {{gwi:2140812}}

{{gwi:2140813}}
    {{gwi:2140814}}

sprtphntc - I don't know if I want up or down lighting. I think there is enough light in general that we don't need down lighting. I had looked through HF's website of all of the chandeliers and none of the stood out to me other than the one I posted. If you have one which you think would work well in my space, let me know and I will take another look.