Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Pantry vs. broom closet allocation

9 years ago

We're looking at a layout similar to the wall in this photo (though in a more traditional style), with a 36" french door fridge on the left and a 36" pantry/broom closet on the right:

{{gwi:2140797}}

Contemporary Kitchen by Vancouver Architects & Building Designers Moeski Design Agency

A broom closet is very high on the reno wishlist, and I'd been assuming the pantry/broom cabinet would be split 50-50, which is how the architect has drawn it. I'm wondering now though if a 12" broom closet would be enough, leaving more pantry space-- or would that look strange and/or be to narrow to be useful? Are there great pullouts that would make better use of the 24" deep space?

Any thoughts or experience or ideas are welcomed. Especially photos!

Comments (7)

• szruns
    9 years ago

If the pantry/broom closet space would allow access from the "open" end (on the right in the picture), you could access the broom section from that side and then leave the left side for the pantry. I am sure it could be paneled to look nice on both the pantry "front" and the broom "side".

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm sure it can be made to look nice and function well, but I'd caution two things - 1) figure out what you want to keep on the broom closet side to be sure everything fits and will be easily accessible, and 2) if you're getting stock cabinets (not custom), know that many are not "open space" from floor to top - they have a stabilizing shelf about 2/3 of the way up -- that made it very difficult for us as our brooms didn't fit (height-wise).

• magpier
    9 years ago

Following as I have been wondering how and how much broom space to include. Love the idea Szruns posted.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I've seen photos of the cabinet-side broom closets before; it's a great and useful idea, but ours has to open to the front.

Magpier, have you gotten any feedback from other sources on what a reasonable broom closet space is? I hate to give up room on EITHER side, but it seems like 12" would be enough for a broom, swiffer, small bucket, and a cordless vacuum mounted on the back wall. On the other hand I'd hate to (over) think this and still wind up gnashing my teeth at knocking everything over to get a broom out.

• szruns
    9 years ago

I think something like this would maximize your space. You can also find "pull out broom cabinet" options, but you lose a good bit of space with pull outs. Mounting hanging things on one side of a deep cabinet like this picture does would work well. Then the other side can be roll out shelves OR a big roll out pantry. I like the roll out pantry idea a good bit, personally, but could get heavy if it was very large.

• szruns
    9 years ago

FWIW, I'd want ideally 15 inches wide "cabinet width" for a 24" deep cabinet, because you need to really get your arm in there to reach things. If I used the above design, I'd make sure to add a shelf or two above (or, better yet, BELOW) the tall height needed for brooms/vacuum, so I'd have at least a 12" high shelf for supplies. (Either in a well sized bin or two to slide out, or in a rollout tray/shelf.) Once I got the minimum I needed for a workable broom closet, I'd devote the remainder to the pantry. Ideally, I'd want at least 24" of pantry if that was my only pantry, but 18" could work if you have minimal storage needs. If it was 18" or under wide, I'd consider the pull out pantry . . . if larger, probably the roll out shelves.

• magpier
    9 years ago

I haven't gotten any official feedback yet but like you I was hoping to fit it in a 12" space. I'll have to think about Szruns' suggestions. I was thinking the closet would be next to the pantry area.