Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbpdx

molding input. yes or nay?

rbpdx
9 years ago

My gc proposed to add quarter round at base of cab meeting wood floor typeo create finish look.
it looks ugly due to the corner square molding... he said it looks nicer after caulking but I can't see how. What do u think I should do?
I want to rip it out and replace with squareish molding instead..

Comments (24)

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I had it at my last house. It looked good. Maybe we need a pic of yours to tell

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Having a hard time adding pic!

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before after

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I see what you mean. How will caulking help that? Maybe painting the ends of the quarter round? My cabinets did not have the corner extension yours have.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel it should be taken off and replace with something rectangular vs round. Argh! The fact that he installed it all and thinks its acceptable

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I think a smaller Ogee Floor moulding would look better than that., But my real problem with the quarter round is the hack job method of installing he used. And caulking will do nothing to help that.

• itsthedetails
    9 years ago

I think he should of installed more vertical trim like picture attached. So when it buts into the outside vertical trim on the corner it is more appealing.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Can he remove it without destroying your cabinets? Don't let him caulk that! Then you'll just have more to remove.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

He could have, (and should) have cut the corner trim up enough for the shoe to continue and miter around the corner.
    Or notched the shoe molding around the corner trim to make the miter.
    Or use a bigger corner trim to stand proud of the shoe, since maybe he's not capable of making a miter? ;)

Yes, remove the hack job...

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep. Its getting out. So frustrating to cut corners during finishing. I hope tha cabinet will survive.

• practigal
    9 years ago

That is just a really lousy job. No amount of caulk is going to fix it. As stated above there are two ways to fix it, one is to bring more molding down from the top, the other is to run it out all of the way along the sides and miter at the corner. Should you do without molding entirely? No. Caulked into place molding will prevent the flow of spilled stuff under the cabinets. You may want to change the style of molding instead of using quarter round for something else more attractive.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How to bring more molding from the top?? any pictures?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The ouside corner molding should have gone on after the 1/4 round. Or, it shouldn't have been applied at all. A plain touch up of the cut edge of the toe is all that is really needed. Unless he miscut the toekick.

Your "GC" is not a cabinet installer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. He should have hired a sub for the cabinet install who is an expert.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

What a HACK

I would suggest you create a punch list and be thorough before you sign off on anything. I fear, if this is acceptable to him, what would also be something half-assed?

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our GC has been super great. He did everything from plumbing, electrical and cabinet install.

I spoke with him and he said the trim work is not completed and he will fix it so it looks proper. (he will do one corner, show me prior to doing all of them so I can see and approve it)

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll keep everyone posted.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He fixed it.

• sherwoodva
    9 years ago

Much better! Wow, you are lucky that he agreed to fix it. Enjoy your new kitchen.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Looks great now

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Oops double post

This post was edited by deickhoff0 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 3:07

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

A little better; he should have rounded off the edge of the vertical piece because it is still quite blunt. The idea of trim moldings is to close gaps while also eliminating raw edges, so if you use a raw 90 degree end-grain edge you have failed to live up to the basic tenet.
    Casey

• amykath
    9 years ago

Much BETTER!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

It's better, but could be better.

To me it looks like he stuck a piece of wood in there to appease you/us.

But if you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

That linear piece should be cut shorter, to allow the lower pieces to miter together, IMO. But it looks much nicer now than before and glad it got fixed.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) i know it could be better. Sadly to say the floor molding was an afterthought, hence the botched quarter round. That's said there are other areas that we rather work with, like getting prep for xmas party and get new furniture for dining. It's not a million bux kitchen... this 'fix' is good enough for me ;) thanks all for the input! Next time we deft put molding into the list... hopefully next time is not anytime soon..

Sponsored
Triple L Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Richmond Area's Family Owned & Operated Home Builders & Remodelers