Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_metzger

angled plugmold?

Cook1
16 years ago

I looked it up, so I see what it looks like, but how/where is it used, and does it have anything to do with granite?

It was mentioned in a thread discussing plastic coverplates......

thanks for shedding some light on this one.

Cook1

Comments (5)

• Buehl
    16 years ago

It's used in place of having outlets interrupt your decorative backsplash--tile, granite, etc. all along your cabinet run(s).

It's angled so it's easier to plug things into and it's mounted high enough that you can't really see it unless you're looking for it (light rail or cabinet frame hides it.)

Another advantage is that you will have a plug anywhere you need it, not just every few feet.

However, you should have a "traditional" outlet or two for items that are plugged in all the time (like a coffeemaker) so you don't have cords dangling. Another need for a "traditional" outlet would be for those items that have the clunky/heavy plugs that might fall out if plugged "up" in the plugmold (gravity will have its way!)

HTH!

• needanap
    16 years ago

Plugmold is just a strip of outlets. It can be used in place of traditional outlets so as not to interrupt the backsplash. Most people mount it at the top of the backsplash, just under the cabinets, so it is out of sight, but I've also seen it mounted along the bottom, where the counter and backsplash meet (then you don't see dangling cords). I've also seen it used on the side of an island, under the granite edge. Most plugmold is flat, but they also make an angled version, which fits neatly in the corner, to make it easier to plug things in. However, I believe angled plugmold is much more expensive. My installer used flat plugmold, but mounted it on an angled block of wood, to achieve the same result. I love it! Having it on the angle makes it very easy to use. I did not put in any traditional outlets as buehl suggests, because I don't leave any of my appliances plugged in all the time. Just depends on your needs. Here is a picture of mine.

• Cook1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buehl and Needanap,
    Thanks for the explanation--I guess it is just something else that I need to add to my list. And next I guess I better reread the thread on budget!

Thanks,
    Cook1

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

My plugmold is not angled and I have never found it difficult to use the plugs. I love the clean look of the backsplash that the plugmolds allow. I also don't have a problem with dangling cords. Never notice them in fact. My mixer and my coffee maker are plugged in in this picture. When I look for it, yes, I see the coffee maker's cord, but I prefer that to having an outlet there.

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

I have angled plugmold at each end of my island as well as in two places under the wall perimeter cabinets. Love, love, love it. I have plenty of outlets and it is really unobtrusive.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource