Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What comes first?

Posted by emilyarthur (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 1:05

My hardwood floors are being installed starting this Monday. Question: do I have the cabinets installed and then stain the floors? Or stain the floors and then install the cabinetry and range?

We are installing a 60" blue star, weighs 1,300lbs...contractor wants to stain and then install everything...painter/husband want to install everything and then stain. Who is right? The range is on legs so I think we have to stain first to properly stain floor under the range, right?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What comes first?

We put in cabinets then stained. Then put in the appliances. I don't knowmifmtheremis a wrong way.

o

Our hardwood floors were refinished plus we added new flooring in our family room. The floors were sanded, stained and had two finish coats applied before cabinets were installed. Once the kitchen was finished, the final finish coat was applied to the floor. We had did a Swedish finish with three finish coats.

The contractor laid protection on the floors before they started working on the kitchen again and we didn't have any problems. Before they do the final finish coat, they lightly sand the floors again so they can take care of any miner scratches that might happen during construction. But you will want them to put something down to protect the floors while they work on the kitchen.

o

This topic comes up every few months. I'll link a similar thread from September where I answered how we did it. (The OP isn't exactly what you're asking, but similar.) Generally, the consensus seems to be wood floor installed and stained first, then cabs. To me, this just seems so much easier and less risky. Plus, all of your floor is stained, not just what is visible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar thread with answers

o

Thanks! I think we will have the floors done first...we've got to move this along!! Next week is 6 months without a kitchen!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here