Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Why is most of my screen black!?!?

breezygirl
11 years ago

It's a rhetorical question, really. I know the answer. Its another flippin' ad, isn't it. I'm on an iPad so I don't usually see ads and can't use any kind of blocking software (or at least none that I have found).

The bottom 3/4 of the pages are black, but I can see the thread titles. When I open a post, the same amount of screen is black, but I can't see any of the posts.

Arggghhh!!! I'm missing out on my evening entertainment by surfing GW! DD has been whiney, fussy, slobbery, diarrhea-y, sleeping-poorly sick for two days now. I was soooooo looking forward to my GW escape tonight. Now I don't have it. Yes, I'm whiney now, too. :)

Comments (24)

• withoutanh
    11 years ago

I'm on my iPad and have the exact same thing.

Drat.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm seriously ticked!!!!!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Same here! Unbelievably annoying!!! I managed to get it to go away by reloading over and over. But it comes back. At least I was able to get it to go away for a moment. I can't see any option to exit out of the ad. If you try to open a post, it takes you to the ad. Grrrrrrr . . . .

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Same here! Unbelievably annoying!!! I managed to get it to go away by reloading over and over. But it comes back. At least I was able to get it to go away for a moment. I can't see any option to exit out of the ad. If you try to open a post, it takes you to the ad. Grrrrrrr . . . .

• chispa
    11 years ago

Yes, it is a Target ad that isn't loading correctly and is "splotched" all over the page. I couldn't find any spot/x to close the ad. It did go away when I reloaded the page. I guess we were due an annoying pop-up ad!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Switched to DHs phone so watch out for my clumsy words. I tried reloading over and over and over. Wont fix it. No way to close the ad. I havent had an incapacitating ad for many months. managed to escape the last ones.

Am so disgusted that im leaving for chocolate and Downton Abbey on Amazon instant video free with my Prime trial. See you tomorrow!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugh!!!! Now its on DHs phone!!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Not on Ipad, but same thing here on laptop. Thought it was this old thing acting up.

Annoying, irritating, I may go to Amazon as well and shop for grandkids. :( OH, that should be :) right?

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Probably something to do with a skin for a new set of ads being loaded. I see it on my laptop, too, though just around margins of the white center. Text lines extend out into the inkiness, but are hard to read.

Let's blame it on FB and Twitter!

L.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Same problem here. It comes and goes. Very irritating.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Do I dare jinx myself?
    I'm on my laptop, on Chrome, and I don't have it.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's OK, Christine. I wasn't seeing at least the last couple of disruptive ads. I suppose I was due. :). You are (said in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice) lucky.

So far today, I see the Target ad at the top of the main page's banner and occasionally in the small ad space right of screen, but it is not cloaking my screen. Fingers crossed that this is over!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

At the risk of jinxing myself, I'm not having this problem on either my iPad or MacBook, both using Safari.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems as if I was a problem last night and has been rectified today.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Linelle and others--
    No problems on my Powerbook, either. Just not a mac thing this time.
    A polite Target ad for something or other sits off to the side where I can make it disappear, thank goodness. A couple other ads are there on the side and something on the bottom. Ugly, but I can ignore them.

Hope the great black ugly goes away soon for you guys.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I am back to laptop as well as ipad was getting annoying. But the website is really slow.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I know this isn't helping, but I don't see it. Firefox with AdBlock on a Linux laptop.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I had major problems with it last night on my Mac desktop...Safari with popups blocked...Couldn't exit out of it, and even though the buttons like "preview message" and "submit" showed through it, if I tried to click them, I just got shuttled off to Target. Sometimes it would go away with refreshing the page, but often not. I'm actually surprised to find myself here today, because last night I felt that the powers that be around here are definitely NOT GETTING IT, and it's getting old for us, very old. For those who need help it will be sad if those with finished kitchens who hang around here for fun and in hopes of being helpful get too tired of fighting such things, and go off to chocolate and other pursuits!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Firefox: not seeing it.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

It was a Target ad and I had the same issue on my iPad last night. Just kept refreshing the page until a different ad replaced it.

• User
    11 years ago

Well, the good news for me is that all of you are getting stuff you didn't order. I thought it was my new computer and that I didn't have Everything fixed yet. I still can't get rid of the underline words that are advertisements unless I go to each one and say disable. The disable page asks me if I want to enable! NO, I don't want to enable. I might have to go back to my old computer to read here. Or if you are having success with laptops I could do that but mine is pretty slow.

• jenswrens
    11 years ago

The underlined ads have always been blocked for me by my Firefox Adblock Plus, but just recently (past couple of weeks), they've started showing up again. I cannot figure out how to get rid of them! I've updated FF, Adblock is updated... ugh. I guess they've introduced some new type of intellitxt that gets around the blockers.

If anyone knows how to make those go away, please please tell me.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Everything I've tried for the green lined things is only temporary. I don't even try to get rid of them any more, since it's time spent for nothing. At least they don't cover the page! That Target thing was the worst I've seen.

• BerlinGirl
    11 years ago

I was on an Apple Mac...and I had it going on...thought something was messed up on my puter...LOL, NOT, glad it was an easy fix.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company