Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcjersey

Want Cambria Torquay but the slab is too small!

DCJersey
11 years ago

As part of my kitchen remodel I am planning on a very large island that is curved on one end to provide seating for at least 4 barstools. In order to cut the island top out of one slab of material it would require a slab that is 63x112. We were hoping to use Cambria Torquay for the island top, but Cambria slabs are only 54X119, so I would likely have a huge seam running right down my island. Needless to say I am a bit disappointed.

What alternatives do I have? I am looking for a countertop that is similar in appearance to marble with the durability and maintenance profile of quartz.

I am the type of person who likes things to look brand new forever, so quartz is very attractive to me. I have also been looking at some of the quartzites out there, but I am a bit concerned about durability and maintenance. I am a very neat person, but will likely have kids in the near future so I worry about what may happen to the counters.

Comments (7)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Ceasarstone has select colors available in jumbo slabs of 63x128.

Hanstone has jumbo slabs of 65x130 and have one white marble color,Aspen.

What is availbable as jumbo slabs changes from time to time. I would call them and ask what is available.

All Hanstone jumbo slabs are custom ordered so I don't see why they wouldn't make a jumbo Aspen but I am not a dealer.

Worst they can say is no.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

We have Torquay and a seam which was done fairly well. Most of the time I don't even notice it. It's right below the muffins and runs horizontally:

You can see it better here if you zoom in. It bisects the fruit platter:

But usually, it's not visible:

I am a very messy cook. The Cambria has stood up to my abuse very well. The seam is a little discolored after a year (I need to start a thread about how to clean seams) but nothing to complain about. Good luck!

• User
    11 years ago

Seams aren't a big deal at all if you have a good fabricator. Especially with quartz.

But I'd have to say that your island is also pretty large. It takes the right layout to be able to handle an island that large. You might want to post it for feedback.

And you might consider doing a butcherblock area in order to be able to do the island without a seam if it really bugs you.

• DCJersey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. The island itself isnt going to be 63x112, its just that in order to cut the island from a single slab of cambria it will require a slab that big. The island is going to be rectangular at one end (39 inches deep), go for about 6 or 7 feed than then curve a bit to create a seating area. It is this curve that creates the need for the larger slab. Originally we were planning a rectangular island that would have easily been able to be covered by a single slab of Cambria, but the shape was only able to fit 3 barstools.

• marble_com
    11 years ago

Since the Cambria Torquay is not a very busy stone and has little overall movement, if you use a quality fabricator, the seam should be barely visible to the naked eye (unless you focus on it being there). Therefore if the slab is not enough for one continuous countertop piece but you really are attracted to this particular quartz, then I'd go with it and opt for the seam. Sometimes, the seam is created in the middle of the sink cut-out so it would be even less visible. However, I recommend to ask the fabricator to show you a sample / example of how their seams look. They *should* have seam examples available in the office. This way you can judge their workmanship on this very important issue. Hope this helps!

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

We have an 11.5 ft x 4.5 ft island in Torquay. You absolutely cannot see the seam unless you look really hard and know its there. Cambria only uses authorized fabricators/installers and they are FLAWLESS. Do not rule them out b/c of the seam.