Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagrant1

Preview Pics - White Marble Kitchen

lagrant
15 years ago

Here are some preview pics of our almost finished kitchen. I promise to post details and more pics very soon!

White painted maple cabs, honed calacatta island and backsplash subways, and cambrian black antique granite on the perimeter...

Icky Before:

After:

Comments (54)

• morton5
    15 years ago

Wow- gorgeous! The marble is stunning, and the space is so light and bright. I love the color scheme in your house, too. The pendants are fantastic-- I absolutely love them! Details, please?

• positano
    15 years ago

Wow, so beautiful. Makes me wish I did marble! Are those ikea stools?

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

It's so beautiful! You have so much seating around your island. What a great party spot! I love your wall color. What is it? I love the architectural feel of your pulls. We need more details!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Oh my word - what a transformation. That island is huge. You must have knocked down some walls! It is a beautiful kitchen - everything blends so well together and I love the pop of color in your dining room too. I bet you're thrilled!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I really like all that seating at your island! fabulous!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Beautiful! It is very serene and clean looking. Will you be doing cooking demos? It looks perfect for that! Great job. Can't wait to see more and details.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Love it!!!! Fabulous job! We are working on my kids bathroom and I have grey floor tile and white shower tile. The vanity is white. So glad I went with this color combo. Your kitchen has helped me completely visualize it.

Just curious...in the bay part of your kitchen, is that a window or doors to the back. Your old layout looks exactly like my house when we first moved in.

Again....great job!!!

• gail428
    15 years ago

LOVE IT!!!! Love it so much in fact I want to change my choice on pulls - which I probably need to do today (may even be too late) - please post which pulls you have. Not sure if you've "lived" in the kitchen yet, but curious if the corners on the pulls are sharp right angles - I am clumsy and concerned about bruising myself :) - thanks!

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Wow. I just have to echo what everyone else said : the marble, the backsplash, the seating the hardware - it's all gorgeous. I too would like to know the name of the paint color. Can't wait for details.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Awesome job! It looks beautiful!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

What an amazing change, and beautiful kitchen. It seems you extended the kitchen into what was an eat-in kitchen area before? (Or is that new construction?) Your extension of the island into it is clever use of the space.

The Calacatta is gorgeous!!

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Beautiful! The island is to die for! What material are the chairs around the island? I have to admit, I'd be worried about white chairs in the kitchen unless they're wipeable. What is your wall oven setup? It looks like there is an appliance in the middle with a cabinet panel, is that right? And where is your microwave?

• oofasis
    15 years ago

Awesome, just awesome! Your wonderful island seems to float. Those Calacatta slabs are to die for! I love all your choices. Please do take a close-up of your subways - they are just fantastic.

• southern_2008
    15 years ago

An amazing transformation--no doubt! Wow. Looks great. I especially love all the seating at your island!!

• lagrant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow - thanks for all of the kind words. We simply love the space and I do promise to do a very detailed post. I learned so much from this forum and have many to thank. To answer some quick questions from above:

ALICE462 - there is a seam in the island that we worked hard to match. It is on the L, sink side.

MINDSTORM - the room is now the previous kitchen with the former breakfast room incorporated (where the bay window is) - for a total of 13 X 20.

MORTON5- the pendants are by Dolan Designs - the Uptown collection (2241 is the item #)

POSITANO - yes, the stools are from ikea! Good eye!!

LAXSUPERMOM and VICTORIAJANE - the paint color is Orion Grey by Ralph Lauren

GAIL428 - the pulls are from Hickory Hardware which is also Belwith - Studio Collection, in Stainless. We used the 8" appliance pulls on the big drawers and then the 5" on the smaller drawers and doors.

MALHGOLD - the bay is just a window in the former breakfast area. Just beyond that, not shown in the pictures, in the family room there is a door to the outside.

SHANNONPLUS2 - the stools are from Ikea. I couldn't decide on a fabric, so I just bought the slightly off-white covers. When all was said and done, I really liked them so they may stay. What is best about them is that the VELCRO to the seat!! I can pull them off and chuck them in the washing machine!

Thanks again everyone for your compliments.

• beccamj
    15 years ago

I love it! I'm a big fan of gray and it's just gorgeous. What is the perimeter counter material?

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

Very cool and sophisticated. Great use of the space. c

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Wow. Very nice. Love the wall color; it just sets off the whole room. I also love how your tall cabs are built in to the walls, and your pulls are cool!

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! I love your wall color. I love your pendants.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Excellent design, and gorgeous choice of finishes. That gray wall and the backsplash work perfectly together. The stainless picks up the gray wonderfully. The marble is divine..
    what a beautiful kitchen!!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Well that's just stupendous. I love everything, and I don't even like white kitchens. The backsplash is delicious. The way the pulls fit into the inside panel on the small drawers...even the small hint of that brown we can see through the back opening...

Need to save this pic.

Question: is there a reason why you put the ovens so far away as opposed to where the pantry closets are up by the rest of the kitchen?

Again, WOW. Great work. Enjoy it for decades in good health.

• lagrant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am humbled and in awe of the compliments coming in - so many of your designs, ideas, and kitchens greatly influenced ours!

Okay, to clear up the wall oven and microwave question quickly:

We have 5 teenagers and elected to give them an easy prep zone for quick bites and reheats. In that area is the GE Monogram Advantium 120 - so it serves as a microwave, convection, and regular back-up oven. Below that is a warming drawer. Once we decided to put the Advantium on that side of the kitchen (with their snack food in the adjoining cabinets), it made sense to pair the warming with it. Kids with crazy sports and game schedules can easily come home and pull out their dinner plate or quickly cook something.

We did give serious consideration to placing them up near the fridge with those pantry cabinets, but really didn't want to block the doorway in to the dining room as we do eat in there frequently.

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

Wow gorgeous!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Add me to the list of admirers! What a beautiful, sleek kitchen. I just love it!

• megradek
    15 years ago

WOW! nice work, it is so pretty!!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Another WOW! That is gorgeous, and I'm stealing ideas right and left. Congratulations, that must be some island for entertaining and drinks! I'm envious!

• gglks
    15 years ago

what a transformation!!!!!! it just amazes me that white kitchens with marble counters and subway tile backsplashes can all look different....and i love everyone of them! yours has such a modernized feel too it with all those classic elements. great job. makes me want a glass of wine at that island! thinking of your 5 teenagers, it brings me back to my teenage days. what a great spot for a bunch of your children's friends to hang out!!!!

• wheatciti
    15 years ago

beautiful.

I,Love your choice of lighting.

What kind of appliances did you ultimately go with?
    Are you satisfied with them?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answer about the advantium and warming drawer. Excellent thinking to have the teens have a separate warming zone :)

• lagrant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BECCAMJ - the perimeter counters are Cambrian Black Antique granite. I really wanted a matte black absolutely no worries material near the range. It has an amazing texture without being too rustic for the space.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Absolutely perfect! I started to make a list of what I especially loved and realized I was listing everything. You did a fabulous job!! I saved your pictures!

Arlene

• redroze
    15 years ago

Just beautiful, great job. Everything relates to each other - the hardware and fridge pulls and pendant lights feel square/chunky, the grey walls go with the grey in the counters and backsplash. Beautiful, serene, integrated...

I spotted the Ikea stools as well - they look great! Are they metal on one side of the bottom horizontal rungs?

• busybme
    15 years ago

What a great transformation! Beautiful!

Sandy

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Count me as a fan, too. I agree with Redroze about the lovely connection between the hardware and fridge pulls and the pendant lights. Very good taste, very modern-classic!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL....
    .... the more I see marble the more I love it (thankful I chose it for my islands).

Enjoy your lovely new space.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Wonderful family kitchen, so pretty...great job!

Which filtered water system & faucet did you use?

vic

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Simply gorgeous! Congrats on absolutely beautiful choices. The marble is to die for as well as the backsplash. Gives the right amount of punch to everything. The lights over the counter are fabulous! Beautiful kitchen. Who makes the range?

• lagrant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so very much! I know I didn't post details yet, so I want to be sure to not let any questions go unanswered...

redroze - yes, the stools have a 3-sided (top, front and back) overlay metal piece where shoes might otherwise ding the wood.

mustbnuts - the range is an all gas 36" thermador

vicnsb - the faucet, which I adore, is the KWC Eve; we did not get a filtration system.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Wow Wow Wow. Love this kitchen.

• beccamj
    15 years ago

Thanks, Lagrant, it looks fantastic and not rustic at all.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love the kitchen floor tiles! I love the white marble with gray veins that goes so perfectly in your kitchen. Everything goes so well together and it sure has the wow factor. Thanks for sharing. What an amazing transformation.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Very sophisticated and elegant. Very nice!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Preview pics is a misnomer! I almost didn't click on, thinking it was a post about a kitchen in progress.

It's a great space, and a good example of what a reno can accomplish. I love your backsplash- I may try and look for something like that myself.

• jsepul
    15 years ago

Very Nice! What flooring is that?

• lagrant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jsepul - the floor is honed and filled travertine, 16" X 24" with a very tight grout line. I love love love this material. We have used it in several other places in the house and I will never tire of it. We did heat the floor and I am soooo glad we didn't cut that from the budget.

• gwarrior99
    15 years ago

very nice indeed, i like the marble, I like it all
    im in desperate need of white marble for the last item in my kitchen, does anyone know where in NY/NJ I can find marble, 2 places had no Carrera, I'm desperate?

• na_praha
    15 years ago

Lagrant, yours is the kitchen of my dreams, top to bottom and wall to wall. Can you just pack it all up and send it over here to me? Thanks. ;-)

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

WOW! WHAT A CHANGE! LOOKS GREAT!

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

Lagrant I would sooo love more details on your kitchen like what tile is that, where's it from, color?

Close ups of your sink area, etc

Your kitchen is the exact look I am going for!

Lastly, cabinet handles???

Wow! It's gorgeous!!!
    Did you get the backsplash tile locally? Or on the web?

• Susan
    13 years ago

that's a gorgeous kitchen! it's so serene and elegant, i just love it.