Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidielou_gw

Why is the lighting decision so hard?

maidielou
13 years ago

I'm trying to pick lights for over the island, and I know what I like but can't find it in the right finish and at the right price. The finish I need is an antique pewter or brushed nickel... something silverish and not shiny. This is a Kichler light I love, but it only comes in orb, or polished nickel or midnight chrome.

{{!gwi}}
This Kichler comes in the right color, antique pewter, but I dont love the style. {{!gwi}}

I even like this style, comes in satin-steel..whatever that is... and you can get the glass frosted. I'm thinking that would solve the glare problem. But I'm nervous to order a fixture on-line (Barnlightelectric.com) without checking it out in a store first.

{{!gwi}}
Any suggestions for a good lighting website, with a decent return policy? Does anyone have pictures to show of similar lights in their kitchen?

Comments (8)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

This may be lower-end or bigger-box than favored but following the retirement of my beloved Iranian lighting purveyor, while generic-feeling I've found quite a bit at reasonable prices here: lampsplus.com

Here is a link that might be useful: large lower-end lighting store

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Lighting is tough for me too. My approach is usually to echo shapes and colors across the room, but that doesn't help so much with lighting. It's harder to envision the metals pulling together - the handles, faucets and lights. I end up browsing through pages of lights with only lukewarm feelings. DH says get a bunch of tube flourescents and be done with it. He is not TKO.

Hope you find something.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I think Visual Comfort has several styles and finishes that you would like. You'll need to find a local dealer with their catalog as most websites don't do justice to their numerous products. One caution: They're pricey.

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

I am no help at all. After more than a year, I still don't have pendants over my island. :(

• brickton
    13 years ago

What is your budget for the pendant? And do you want something in the style of the first kichler light but in a non-shiny silver finish? What size pendant do you want?

My first thought is the Restoration Hardware Benson/Hamon lights. They come in a variety of sizes in satin nickel, but are outside of many budgets. ($200-$500 ea depending on size)

A little more budget friendly is this one from Landmark. It's satin nickel and 13" in diameter and a little more budget friendly at $178 each.

If there are other criteria that this doesn't meet, post it up, I'd be happy to draw on my stupid amount of hours searching the web to help other people out.

• marthasdream
    13 years ago

I think you would find Rejuvenation kind of pricey too, but they are super fun to look at! Try also lamps plus, there are 28 pages of Kichler alone. It can be overwhelming, but their prices may be okay.

• maidielou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh.. Brickton, that is THE light I have been searching for! The right finish, size, price and style! I knew it was out there, but my hours of searching stores and on-line never came up with this one. Thanks a million! You all are the greatest- thanks for everyone's sympathy and suggestions. Now, on to the next dilemma- wall paint color..

• brickton
    13 years ago

Yay! I'm happy to help. I feel like in prepping to build our house I've gained tons of otherwise useless knowledge. As for paint color, I will defer to the non-color blind. I only share my overly opinionated color choices on my long suffering lovely wife who promptly informs me the color I see is not the actual color (apparently Mourning Dove by Martha isn't greenish gray... hunh).