Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitowngal82

Anyone purchase Martha Stewart cabinets?

chitowngal82
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new here and we are just about to start getting serious about our kitchen renovation. Total gut job, and we've been planning/researching/deciding for almost a year now to find things that fit in with our design and budget. I'm looking forward to posting frequently and hearing all of what you all have to say!

We are seriously leaning towards the new Martha cabinets at HD, and have read decent things about them on the board. BUT, I really would love to hear from folks who have ordered/installed these on what they think. Are they as good as they claim to be? Are you happy with them? Are you glad you bought them? What don't you like about them?

Thanks!!

Comments (30)

• pinkpink1970
    13 years ago

I remodeled my kitchen and installed the Martha Stewart Dunemere cabinets last month. I have been very happy through the entire process. There were delivered packaged so well it took me 9 hours to open all the boxes. Every cabinet was in perfect condition. I did receive one filler piece that was the wrong color, but Home Depot had a replacement ordered and I received it 3 days later. My contractor had no problems installing them. He made a mistake installing one of my handles on the top plate of the sink base and even though it was his fault, HD got a new piece for free. If you order her cabinets, I'd give some serious thoughts to saving some money by buying your own crown molding or other extras and painting them yourself. The color I bought Sharkley Grey. After I had my cabinets installed I figured out I forgot to order enough finished shelves for this awkward corner in my kitchen. I took a scrap to Benjamin Moore and they matched it and I purchased a stock shelf at Home Depot and painted it. It matched perfectly. If I had known that I would have saved some money and painted my own crown molding and all the shelves. I love my cabinets and I'm very happy with them.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

chitown,
    I came a day away from ordering them then changed my mind. I was planning on the purestyle Skylands, which are just beautiful and I love the crystaline uppers you can only get with that style, but the purestyle scared me away. I realized I couldn't repaint them in the future if I wanted to, and also wonderedwhat whould happen if I changed hardware? With wood I could putty in the old holes, and touch up with paint, but what in the world do you do with purestyle? And I do want white cabinets.
    The price on these cabnets are wonderful- the least expensive quote- even with the all plywood upgrade. I just couldn't pull the trigger and have yet to make a decision on any other brand.
    I look forward to watching your post, and wish you the very best in your decision.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

I have not, but I love looking at them! Sorry! I believe they are an off shoot of Thomasville. They have upgrades available so that is a plus. I have shared her literature with my cabinet maker, and he liked her details. The man at HD said to add another 40 to 50% to the standard price for any kind of bell or whistle. I wonder if her line will run specials?

One thing I noticed though in the literature is that she never features a kitchen with a fridge in it!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Martha kitchen tips

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

Masterbrand Cabinets makes both the Martha Stewart and Thomasville cabinets sold at HD. The also make the Diamond brand sold at Lowes, Aristokraft and several other brands you're probably familiar with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterbrand Cabinets to Produce Martha Stewart Living Cabinetry Line

• pinkpink1970
    13 years ago

There was a special when I purchased mine. Free sink base, free glass doors, $500 off if you spent a certain amount ( can't remember) and Martha bonus dollars off the total and HD doubled the Martha bonus dollars. I'll have to dig out my invoice to get the exact totals. I suggest you ask at HD, they usually know what the discounts will be in the future.

• chitowngal82
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info--I appreciate it. We are planning on getting most of our selections ordered after the holidays, and then get the project started in March. Yay--I can't wait! I just need to decide if this our right option, but I am leaning towards yes. This is not our "forever" house, and I feel like these are a good compromise of quality/stye/value. I'll keep you posted on our progress!

• caroleswartz_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I bought her cabinets @ HD in Arizona last
    September - including installation.
    It is April and the whole process continues to
    be a nightmare. The cabinets are poorly built,
    staples missing their targets, paint missing,
    just crappy. This on top of HD not coordinating
    the process-no one in charge-not knowing what
    is going on- seven months later and they are
    only 3/4 finished. BE VERY CAREFUL who you
    chose to execute your job and which cabinet
    brand you select. Martha would freak if she saw
    what her name is Associated with.

• Goldens1
    12 years ago

We're 85% done installing our new Martha Stewart cabinets. We are putting them in a laundry room and choose Dunemere profile. I am very happy with them so far, we did upgrade them to plywood as opposed to MDF for the inside (my husband would probably tell me I'm saying that wrong) but anyway, they all arrived in perfect condition with no issues at all.

We're very pleased for what it is worth. They have a soft close feature and seem to be made very well for the price point. I've heard a few 'slams' on them and I'm not sure why. Yes, you can get more superior quality but after doing our research, they are as good or better when you compare them with cabinets at this price point.

• gladd2help
    10 years ago

I purchased and installed MS cabinets Sept. 2010. Wish I hadn't. They are already coming apart. The coating is beginning to peel. I wasted 10k. If I had it to do over, I would have purchased wooden.

• dbakernc
    10 years ago

I'm thinking of purchasing them myself. Apparently they are made by the same company that makes KitchenCraft - Masterbrand. Glad to hear everyone's feedback.

• Stephanie Hansen-Boye
    8 years ago

AWFUL! Finished our kitchen job in December already have replaced 5 doors that have broken or the cheap surface has chipped off. they are the worst!!! DO NOT BUY!!

• frankandchrisneal
    8 years ago

We installed a Martha Stewart Dunemere kitchen in white 4 years ago. It looks gorgeous, is still white, and is really solidly built. I have had other kitchen cabinets over the years and this is by far the best, even over my custom made wood in my opinion. We had one issue that was recently handled by Martha Stewart and Home Depot. The steam from our coffee maker caused two door corners to lift. Even after almost 4 years, and I'm not sure this is the norm so I can't guarantee everyone will get this service, I was sent two replacement doors. I couldn't be happier with the service. Also, the utensil holders for the drawers are made from wood and fit like a glove...no sliding around. The only change we made to the kitchen was to have glass shelves made to replace the white boards in the glass door cabinet. I may have been able to order them but I don't recall being asked if I wanted them. But that's a HD issue.

• rikkn
    8 years ago

Absolute worst experiences we have had with a home improvement ....... We paid $ 975 extra for " all wood " cabinets. Guess what, that did not include wooden doors !!! 6 week job, it started November 27th last year, still having issues with originals, and the replacements are even worse. Edges are peeling, steam from the coffee pot caused doors to swell and bubble, they send us a whole order of extra doors, all were rejected by the installer. Doors are warped. Absolutely awful experience. Masterbrand has worked with us, and have been very responsive, but now we have to bring Home Depot into the picture.....

• texasgal47
    8 years ago

Checked them out four years ago and thought the construction seemed wanting. My choice was KraftMaid.

• PRO
    Martha Stewart Living
    8 years ago

Stephanie Hansen-Boye We apologize for the frustration with our cabinetry. Please email our partners at MasterBrand - ConsumerCare@masterbrand.com with your contact information so they can look into your situation further and make sure the appropriate steps are being taken to resolve your issue. Your concerns are very important to us and we have been in contact with them about your dissatisfaction.

• April Goodjohn
    7 years ago

I could write a several paragraph review of Martha Stewart Living cabinets but its easier to list everything problematic with the product. In Short - DON'T PURCHASE. Here's Why:

1. 1/4 product was damaged upon delivery (i understand this could be due to shipping)

2.Several pieces were missing

3.Several pieces were chipped

3. When put together, drawers were ill-fitting

4. Ugly, cheap looking drawer pulls (must be replaced)

4. Very difficult to put together. Only for a DYI'er who does not tire or frustrate easily.

TERRIBLE PRODUCT!!!

• dwinn01
    6 years ago

I bought the Martha Stewart Living Gardner Purestyle Square cabinets from Home Depot. Two large pantry door fronts fell apart at the seams after just five months! They were installed in August 2017 and fell apart within two weeks of each other in January 2018. Maybe Martha should look into the quality of their workmanship. They were not abused at all and were very gently handled by myself and adult daughter. I am very disappointed.

• pantoneblack
    5 years ago

PLEASE READ. DO NOT BUY. We have had Martha Stewart Living cabinets in our home for 3.5 years. Last night, one section of cabinet fell off the wall and came crashing to the floor. Everything within the cabinets shattered. Luckily no one was in the kitchen when this occurred as it was a disaster and a huge mess. If my kid had been in the kitchen she would have been crushed. The cabinets came apart where the screws were attached. There was particle board still attached to the screws in the wall (particle board, not solid wood?!?!!!). Our builder purchased the cabinets and the warranty is supposedly not transferable from the original purchaser so the manufacturer doesn't have to take responsibility for the damage. We looked at our other hanging cabinets and they, too, are falling apart at the screws so we emptied them until we can add more supports. THESE CABINETS ARE NOT SAFE! They were still "newish" and were not even full or heavily weighted.

• PRO
    MBCI_ConsumerCare
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Patoneblack,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your experience with your

Martha Stewart Living cabinets. It is our understanding that our Consumer

Care Team has reached out to you for further assistance. Thanks for your continued patience.

• pantoneblack
    5 years ago

Update to my previous post. I did contact the manufacturer and they were very helpful with my situation. It turns out the cabinets fell due to incorrect installation, ergo not the fault of the manufacturer. Martha Stewart Living was helpful and very responsive, which I appreciated immensely. That being said, I still do not recommend these cabinets as they were falling apart prior to the "big fall." But the Consumer Care Team was great, Thank you

• c_rzoski
    5 years ago

Have purchased these cabinets for a flip we were doing and everything came delivered intact and ready to be installed. On this basis we purchased cabinets for our own kitchen remodel. What a mistake! Delivery was scheduled for a Thursday so my husband took off work to accept the delivery. At 4 o'clock we were told the delivery couldn't take place that day and wouldn't come until the following Monday. Our cabinets were delivered with 3 cabinets having shoddy workmanship (door fronts off, a blue flaw down the face of one, the wine rack with exposed staples). The corner base cabinet was one of them so we were unable to proceed with the remodel. We dealt with no kitchen sink for 3 weeks. The replacement cabinets have arrived and they are also damaged (again the base corner cabinet). Waiting to hear what Martha Stewart will do to rectify this frustrating situation. Look elsewhere for cabinets, I wish we had.

(Home Depot has been very responsive to our concerns but they should consider no longer offering these products)

• PRO
    MBCI_ConsumerCare
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We are sorry to hear about your experience regarding your Martha Stewart Living Cabinets. Your concerns are very important to us. We take product quality very serious and would like to further research your situation. Please email us at ConsumerCare@masterbrand.com. We look forward to your response.

• Patricia Cadiz
    5 years ago

We bought the Martha Stewart cabinet thru HD. Decided to upgrade to the wood as weve had bad experience with partial board in the past. Turns out the upgrade is just for the fronts. HD designer did not make that clear. The other huge disappointment was the cost of the wooden legs that we ordered for a local wood penninsula. Each leg was $450!! I am so mad at myself for not making the designer go thru each coded line item on the order. Each leg was just countertop length, tapered square, nothing fancy. OMG I feel so cheated. If you do order MS thru HD, make sure they explain each line item cost to you. The invoice is all codes - so it was not obvious. we are just installing now so can’t commeet on quality yet.

• Ryan Steinke
    4 years ago

@Patricia Cadiz - any update with the cabinets after the first couple of months? Which type did you order/install?

• Patricia Cadiz
    4 years ago

We pd extra for the “solid wood” but I was very disappointed to find that only the fronts were actually solid wood. They probably won’t last as long as I would have expected solid wood to last. Also i made a huge mistake in buying matching table legs for our peninsula. Each leg cost $500!!!!! I didn’t realuxe until later because the itemized list was all numbers -not text (from Home Depot). They look nice now, but I wouldnt buy this way next time.

• PRO
    Alexander Hammett DBA
    4 years ago

I bought Martha Stewart cabinets through HD in 2016 and they’re already chipping, especially the dishwasher panel and toe kicks. I came across this link while searching for warranty and replacement options and wanted to add what they look like after only 3 years of use. HD said they discontinued them so I don’t even know if I can replace. But a brand that’s well know and will be there after 10 years in case something goes wrong. Hope this helps someone.

• Karen Selby
    3 years ago

I have had Martha Stewart Cabinets for four years after two year all the fronts needed replacement. They were peeling. I once again need them replaced and cannot get a live person to talk to. I hate them!

• PRO
    MBCI_ConsumerCare
    3 years ago

Karen Selby,

We apologize for the frustration you experienced with your Martha Stewart Living cabinets. Your satisfaction is very important to us. Please email us at ConsumerCare@masterbrand.com with your contact information so we can further investigate your concern. We look forward to your response.

• HU-241726320
    last year

We bought Martha Stewart Living cabinets and had them professionally installed. The laminate finish began to peel within weeks of installation. MasterBrand replaced several of the doors. The laminate finish peeled replacements also. Now months later the doors are literally falling apart. I don't even want replacements. I'd much rather have plain wood cabinet doors. Save your money these cabinets are crap.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz