Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zosogirl_gw

Huge refrigerator! Now I have to modify my closet - yikes!

zosogirl
14 years ago

I was so excited today to get the refrigerator delivered, as we are so close to finishing our project. When the guys were about done, I was waiting for them to push the refrigerator back into it's space, but that was it - it sticks out that far! I tried not to lose it or cry, since there are more important things in the world, but it was such a let-down. Besides buying a counter-depth fridge at twice the cost and less storage, our only other options are leaving it alone (too close to the countertop) or recessing it into my closet. I wish we would have done it before we had everything about finished - I can't believe this! SO, now I have to remove all the clothes from my closet behind the refrigerator and figure out a way to recess the monster into the wall, and a new way to store all the stuff in my closet. Great. One week until my house is full of relatives for Christmas.

Comments (7)

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

We had a similar situation. Our contractor said he could take the 2x4s in the wall behind the fridge and turn them sideways. That will give you an extra 2". Another thing he did was recess the wall socket so we could push the fridge right up to the wall.

{{!gwi}}

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

But on the plus side, your floors and cabinets look fabulous! :-)

Deep breaths, and crossing fingers for you that it all works out.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Upside is Lucky You for having a closet behind the refrigerator!

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks lovely! I hate that all the new refrigerators are so deep - it seems crazy to me. I'm in the same boat but I just built the cabinet out further since I couldn't recess it. That's reall great though that you CAN recess it. Fingers crossed that it works out for you.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Each to his own, but I'd go counter depth if the fridge is returnable. I was really worried about my CD not having enough storage since I've always had full depth, but I've had mine now for 3 weeks and it's fine on storage with a family of 4(the stuff that hung out in the back of the full depth was stuff that was never used and should have been thrown away all along). But we also have a full depth in the garage not too far from the kitchen and it's stocked, both fridge and freezer.

However, if you don't return it, your plan to bump it back into the closet is a great one - and I agree, lucky you that you have a closet there to bump into!

The fridge bumped out into the kitchen as far as it is would be dealbreaker, an eyesore, and an obstacle to efficiency, function, and space for sure.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

We had the same situation. In the middle of our renovation we discovered that the manufacturer's specs were wrong on the refrigerator, by 9 inches! The new wall had already been built so the contractor had to rebuild it and recess it into the living room. Fortunately we caught their error early.

You're definitely making the right choice to recess it because it's taking away from your beautiful cabinets. GOOD LUCK on making the necessary changes.

• zosogirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone - I am lucky that there's a closet behind that wall. I'll just use more shelving for my clothes and make two short double rods instead of one long one, so it will work out. Just more hassle. Needsometips: we looked at the CD refrigerators after this, but they were just too expensive, so this is a better option for us. Luckily I have a decent sized room behind the wall and can even make an "L" shaped closet later if I need more room.