Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbjap

help with kitchen planning please

bbjap
12 years ago

THis is the first draft...

We are hoping to go with a large island with an attached eating area at the end. Unsure if we can fit a six seat area at the end so the KD put 2 seats on the side of the island. Tho i think my preference is still to have all six seats at the end.

We'd like to go with large freezer fridge twins, 36" induction cooktop,

Looking at the previous posts here it seams like the idea of a prep sink is a good idea, but i'm not sure of the implementation here. It seams a bit off.

Also, the desk area was placed at the far end of the kitchen, is this odd? should we get rid of this completely?

There wasn't the symmetry on the cooking wall but we need to put the wall ovens in there somehow and they couldn't fit along the fridge wall because we wanted to go with the fridge freezer twins...

I'm looking for any suggestions people have... this is a rough first draft. THANKS in advance!

Comments (6)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is this a new build or a renovation? Some things come to mind, though I am in no way an expert.

1. the prep sink seems really far from the refrigerator. when prepping, items usually come from the refrigerator to the prep sink to the range.
    2. the new bar stools seem really disconnected from the other seats at the table. It doesn't seem as if they would be used at the same time or if they are going to be used at the same time, i think something needs to change. Are you opposed to creating a larger island that incorporates the 4 seats?
    3. Do you want your cleanup sink in the island? Seems like it might be nice to switch the two sinks and have the cleanup sink on the perimeter with the prep in the island.
    4. Desk area- most people are getting rid of them altogether because they aren't used as frequently with the ipads, laptops, and other technology replacing desktop computers. Do you want a desk area? If you're waivering and could get rid of it, you would definitely have more space on that wall to move other items.

Those are just my initial thoughts.

• User
    12 years ago

You do not have nearly enough clearance around this island for the seating that you propose. You need 60" aisles behind a seated diner in order to have room for a workspace there and be able to pass by them. What are the small wall-like segments shown at the bottom of the page? If those are walls, then they need to be removed and replaced with some steel in the support structure. They are really detracting from what you are trying to do here. After those are gone, a lower height seating area can T off of the main island and go there.

If you want to seat 6 there for dining, then you need a dining room with an actual dining table, not an island---or else you need a much larger kitchen. 6 people take 12 linear feet of space, and that will be too tight for some. Even if you have seating on two sides, that will be at least 6 feet of island length. Notice that most of these use the table in the T configuration and for a small amount of seating, or if they do inline seating, they have a lot more clearance behind the seats.

{{gwi:1984149}}

I had a really hard time finding pics of islands with seating for six, but they all had one thing in common. They didn't try for table seating plus an island together. If they managed the seating, it was integrated with the island itself.

You'll note that to seat six here, they chose to have seating opposite the working side of the island and on two ends. This island is at least 10' long to accomplish that and the seat by the range top is a BIG SAFETY HAZARD because of the lack of clearance and it's location.

Here is one that accomplishes the seating for 6 well, but to do that, the island is L shaped and much bigger than yours. You'll also note the large amount of clearance shown around the seats.
    {{gwi:1984155}}

Here's another with seating for six, but again, they use the whole island itself to accomplish that and have more clearance behind the seats.

Here's one that does the seating for 6 on the 12 foot island as "birds on a wire" inline, but that is very user unfriendly. And again, the clearance behind the seating is substantial.

• bbjap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice...

I agree with most of what has been said...

I think i'll limit the seating to 4. Would that still work at the end of the island? or is there not enough space?... We have a formal dining room off the servery. So technically i don't think we need seating for 6 in the kitchen.

I also agree about switching the prep sink and the cleanup sink around... That would necessitate a switch in the DW and trash/recycling right?

I've never been sold on the idea of a desk. So i'm happy to let that go.

So if i were to change that around would i locate the clean up sink between the windows or under one of the windows?

How do i make things look a bit more balanced?... looks like the whole plan is left side heavy... ie the refridgeration, ovens cooktop are all on the left side?... or is this ok?

The solid hashes on the bottom of the plan are the support beams so i don't think they can be moved...

Thanks again for all the advice...

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

If you're ok with seating for 4, I would incorporate it into the island instead of having a table. There are some NKBA guidelines for this that I will link.

Prep and Main Sink Swap means switching the DW for sure. Trash and recycling- I would locate one at both (if it were my kitchen) because we create trash at both ends. Depends a little on the use of a disposal. What are your habits? I would locate the sink under a window since you seem to want a lot of upper cabinets. If you didn't need the uppers, you could have windows flanking the range hood.

I don't think its too heavy. I'm hoping Buehl or other great minds will chime in on your general layout especially with some of the proposed changes.

Here is a link that might be useful: great info on seating by Buehl

• User
    12 years ago

A single piece of steel can span that distance with no problems. You do not need support columns in that spot. You may need to engineer a different point loading system on the ends of the beam and transfer it to the foundation differently, but it will not be that costly to accomplish. Get a structural engineer in to take a look at the space. Support posts there would ruin the whole open plan. And, if you do not remove those support posts, you will not have enough clearance for seating at your island. You could fit one seat on the end and potentially two seats across from the wider open span, but the posts are too close to make it work for any more seats. Do not place any seating next to your work aisles. It's just way too tight for that.

Instead of the desk, why not make a glass dish hutch in front of the window for some of your prettier glassware? Something like this except I'd take it all the way to the counter, maybe with a couple of drawers below.

• bbjap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice again...

I'll look into what can be done about the support beams... beyond the beams there on the bottom of the plan is the great room (family room)on the bottom right, and on the bottom and bottom left is the stairway and hallway respectively.

I think it looks like 6 seats are too ambitious with my size kitchen so i'll make due with 4.

So a bit more about us from the link given to help with those that can offer advice....

We are a family of 4. 2 adults, one baby... unsure about having another child... currently one adult helper (while the child is still a baby)

ONE cook who likes to cook and the other adult gets in the way (haha). Which is the importance of having the fridge and at least one sink away from the Chef....

Goal is to have a very functional kitchen if possible and with as much storage space as we can because we always find stuff to put away... Love long expanses of counters and Love at least the idea of a double wide island with a butcher block table at the end... either counter height or table height whichever looks nicer...

I see the kitchen as the center of the action as it's open to the family room the cook can at least see the kids... when the kids get a bit bigger they can do homework with the cook at one end of the kitchen... A hangout place

We entertain informally, and have a separate dining room as well. But entertaining is probably a once a month or every other month affair. Otherwise it'll just be the 4 of us.

If it's just the 4 of us will likely eat in the kitchen... if there are guests will use the dining room because i feel that's what it's there for... otherwise it'll never be used.

Appliance wise...
    we'd like the fridge freezer twins (probably Elux)
    36" induction top with hood above
    A single wall oven, microwave (if we can hide this in a cabinet by the fridge wall that would be great and if i can save the room above the wall oven then i'd get a second oven and make it a steam oven. If i can't hide the microwave, then it'll go over the wall oven and i'll forgo the steam oven).
    A single Dishwasher.
    2 sinks if possible (large cleanup sink, good size prep sink).

Thanks for any help people can provide