Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnawinecountry

Help with kitchen design?

donnawinecountry
9 years ago

I am utterly lost! Is anyone interested in helping me design my kitchen?

I just moved into a rental with option to buy the home so I don't want to spend too much in case we decide not to buy.

I need to demo the kitchen and choose RTA cabinets, flooring, counter, backsplash, sink and paint. Stainless steel appliances stay. My husband and I are doing the work so no labor costs.

One day I love grey kitchens like these but I wonder if grey is too trendy? Are open cabinets a bad idea when you have 2 little kids?
http://decorallure.blogspot.com/2010/10/gray-kitchen-love.html?m=1

Then another day I see this tile and wonder if it would work with cream cabinets and light brown counter??? But what colors and would it be too drab??
http://www.overstock.com/#/8163191/product.html

As you can see, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and need help. I can't afford a designer and was hoping this type of thing might be fun for people here. Anyone interested in pulling together some ideas and combinations of floor/RTA cabinet/backsplash/sink??

If anyone is interested, I can post pictures of the layout.

I'm sparing my husband from all of this.

Thanks so much!!!
Donna

Comments (9)

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Are you married to the layout you have? There are quite a few people on here that have been really, really helpful to me as I try to figure out layout. I thought I had it figured out, and, thankfully, people on here pointed out that my layout really didn't make sense. Now, I'm closer to having a layout, and, again, people here are being really helpful in making it as user-friendly as possible. The best layout should be the first thing you do, I think. Everything else will come after.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I would not do anything until you have been there a while. You don't own the property and might never own it. If you don't buy it any money you spend it is lost. I would determine first if you want to buy it, then if you do, actually buy it first before investing any money.

Not saying yours is, just mentioning that many rent to own house deals are geared very much in the favor of the owner, not the renter/buyer. I would review your agreement in detail and also have an attorney read it over before preceding. Often there are clauses that make it very easy for the seller to take back ownership of the property from the renter/buyer. I had a book on this topic on how to make lots of $$$$ on people who want to rent to own.

• brightm
    9 years ago

And even if you were buying it today, it's good to live with a layout for a bit and see what works and what doesn't for your style of cooking/your family's needs.

If the appliances are staying, it sounds like it's functional.

I hope the 'We'll fix up the kitchen' isn't some kind of requirement for your renting. If so, it'd sound like a scam to me. Sorry.

The two RTA cabinets that I see people use here, besides IKEA are Barkers (easy website to navigate, can think of specific people on here who swear by them, and I'm trying to talk MIL into using them) and Scherr's (I don't like their website and hear the name here but can't think of anyone specific who used them, I just remember the name).

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Don't do anything to the kitchen until you have decided to buy it, the papers are signed, and it's a done deal. If you feel you must do something because of the way it looks, a coat of paint on the walls and maybe changing window treatments are about all that make sense for you at this point. That's it.

And, yes, unless you are skilled in kitchen design, you really need to live in a house for awhile to really get a feel for what you like and dislike about the space before you start planning a remodel. And then get input from some of the talented folks here.

Don't jump the gun by spending money you may not get back if you don't buy and doing a gut/remodel job that may not be functional.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I can't imagine renovating a kitchen for a landlord. It sounds like a bad, one-sided deal.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I will say that it only makes sense to do some kitchen renovation if you're getting something in return for it. And something now, not in the future.

We just completed a gut/remodel on a rental we own and had a couple who wanted to rent the house but didn't want to wait for my husband to complete the job. To speed things up, they helped with a lot of the work. In return for their labor, we didn't require a deposit or last month's rent and we cut the rent in 1/2 for the first year of occupancy.

I know we're taking a bit of a chance without getting a deposit but we've known them both for years and they are really an upstanding and responsible young couple. I think it's worth the risk on our end as they are lovingly caring for the home as if it was their own after all the work they put into it.

Anyway, without some immediate, up-front return similar to what we offered, it's definitely NOT a good idea to spend a penny on a rental.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I just moved into a rental with option to buy the home so I don't want to spend too much in case we decide not to buy.

I need to demo the kitchen and choose RTA cabinets, flooring, counter, backsplash, sink and paint.

Who is paying for this?

Be VERY careful about rent-to-own because there are so many ways to screw over the hopeful wanna-be buyers. Get a lawyer to look at your contract.

I'm with everyone else - wait until you are sure of the house and then do it AFTER closing.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Get a lawyer, make sure you're paying through an escrow company and you have clear title...then think paint!

Paint can do a lot for a kitchen and if you want to take down a few doors on the upper cabinets, you can paint the back a fun color. Maybe red or turquoise to set off your dishes! (But store the doors, in case you move and need to put them back on.)

If you need new fridge or range, you can always take those with you! Again, be sure to keep the old ones, so you can put them back...if you do move.

I would NOT do anything more than this, unless you are SURE you are going to buy the house. Have fun with your space :) {{gwi:2140635}}From Kitchen ideas
    {{gwi:2140636}}From Kitchen ideas

• donnawinecountry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the questions and comments. The landlord is paying for the cabinets, sink and the countertops. I am buying the floor and the backsplash plus doing all the labor and the research. she also had lowered the rent 10% per month. She has been great in the 6 months we've been here so far.

I have a year to year lease with the rent set for 5 years. My option to buy is just that - they agree not to sell it in the next 5 years. I can also make a market rate offer to buy.

The rent is not being applied to the rent in any way... It's not a rent to own deal.

We're about 95% sure we will buy but since there is still that small chance, I don't want to go overboard with extras like underfloor heat, super expensive tile and floor, new appliances. I am looking for colors I like them searching close outs deals. The labor is no big deal to us.

The appliances are relatively new so they are staying. I do not want to change the layout at all to keep the labor and costs down.

The current cabinets and countertop are shot. No way I could live with them for much longer and paint won't help them at all. Falling apart.

Hope this helps.
    Donna