Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susied

Is soapstone shiny like granite?

Susied3
11 years ago

I see the beautiful slabs and counter tops posted here and they are never shiny.

However, I received my samples and they are. So, I'm wondering, are they honed? Or were my samples polished?

Living in North Texas, we are unable to find any soapstone suppliers so we have to rely on samples from companies North.

Comments (10)

• doc8404
    11 years ago

My soapstone is not shiny - not honed or polished in any manner. It was only sanded before installation.

The thing to check is ask the supplier of your samples what was done to prepare the samples.

Then you will know.

Doc

• peridot44
    11 years ago

My soapstone isn't shiny. That's why I bought it. It's kind of a matte finish. Like the old lab tables in high school science class.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Mine were delivered moderately shiny. I would call them "smooth." You can see, for example, reflection of lights, but they are not mirror-like reflections (i.e., the reflected images are somewhat diffuse).

• marble_com
    11 years ago

Soapstone is a matte finish. I would compare it closest to a granite that has a honed, non-polished surface. You should acquire a sample of a soapstone so you can actually touch it -- it's a blast! Lol. Unlike the name implies, soapstone is not actually *soft* to the point of being brittle or anything like that, it's actually quite a durable countertop material. Hope this helps! :-)

• Susied3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the response, I received mine from M Teixiera and from pictures their soapstone never appeared to have a gloss look. I took some sandpaper to them, but they continue to shine.
    Put some beeswax, mineral oil and still the same thing.

Peridot44, I was expecting the old high school science lab top! I can remember how they feel and that was a long time ago.
    Marble_com, that is what I have, a sample. Expecting a warm, smooth finish, not cold, hard, and shiny. It feels nothing like I expected.
    Doc, I will call them tomorrow and ask about it.
    Thanks!

• texaspenny
    11 years ago

Susie -how north are you? There's the Dorado supplier in Dallas and Austin. We're getting our Noire soapstone thru them, and it is matte.

• Susied3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Texas Penny, we are in Decatur, about 60 miles NW of Dallas. I've googled soapstone in Dallas with no luck. Do you know the name of the place who carries it?

That would be fantastic to actually see slabs!
    Thanks

• Susied3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Texas Penny, we are in Decatur, about 60 miles NW of Dallas. I've googled soapstone in Dallas with no luck. Do you know the name of the place who carries it?

That would be fantastic to actually see slabs!
    Thanks

• prospect711
    11 years ago

Susie, Try the link below for contact info for Dorado soapstone.
    Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorado soapstone link

• prill
    11 years ago

Soapstone is not shiny, but my guess is that the samples have been waxed. Most places carry and sell some sort of oil/wax mix you can apply instead of mineral oil.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County