Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is soapstone shiny like granite?

Posted by susied3 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 0:22

I see the beautiful slabs and counter tops posted here and they are never shiny.

However, I received my samples and they are. So, I'm wondering, are they honed? Or were my samples polished?

Living in North Texas, we are unable to find any soapstone suppliers so we have to rely on samples from companies North.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is soapstone shiny like granite?

My soapstone is not shiny - not honed or polished in any manner. It was only sanded before installation.

The thing to check is ask the supplier of your samples what was done to prepare the samples.

Then you will know.

Doc

o

My soapstone isn't shiny. That's why I bought it. It's kind of a matte finish. Like the old lab tables in high school science class.

o

Mine were delivered moderately shiny. I would call them "smooth." You can see, for example, reflection of lights, but they are not mirror-like reflections (i.e., the reflected images are somewhat diffuse).

o

Soapstone is a matte finish. I would compare it closest to a granite that has a honed, non-polished surface. You should acquire a sample of a soapstone so you can actually touch it -- it's a blast! Lol. Unlike the name implies, soapstone is not actually *soft* to the point of being brittle or anything like that, it's actually quite a durable countertop material. Hope this helps! :-)

o

Thank you for the response, I received mine from M Teixiera and from pictures their soapstone never appeared to have a gloss look. I took some sandpaper to them, but they continue to shine.
Put some beeswax, mineral oil and still the same thing.

Peridot44, I was expecting the old high school science lab top! I can remember how they feel and that was a long time ago.
Marble_com, that is what I have, a sample. Expecting a warm, smooth finish, not cold, hard, and shiny. It feels nothing like I expected.
Doc, I will call them tomorrow and ask about it.
Thanks!

o

Susie -how north are you? There's the Dorado supplier in Dallas and Austin. We're getting our Noire soapstone thru them, and it is matte.

o

Texas Penny, we are in Decatur, about 60 miles NW of Dallas. I've googled soapstone in Dallas with no luck. Do you know the name of the place who carries it?

That would be fantastic to actually see slabs!
Thanks

o

Texas Penny, we are in Decatur, about 60 miles NW of Dallas. I've googled soapstone in Dallas with no luck. Do you know the name of the place who carries it?

That would be fantastic to actually see slabs!
Thanks

o

Susie, Try the link below for contact info for Dorado soapstone.
Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorado soapstone link

o

Soapstone is not shiny, but my guess is that the samples have been waxed. Most places carry and sell some sort of oil/wax mix you can apply instead of mineral oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here