Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'20s Vintagey island hardware headaches

Posted by marcolo (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 0:16

Here are my perimeter cabinet cup pulls from Classic Brass:

The finish is Weathered Bronze, which is very dark but not quite black--sort of like ORB except the underlying tone is brass/yellow instead of copper/red.

But the island is supposed to look like a different piece of furniture. It's in a sort of rusty, barny red, based on this piece:

Which Bellsmom generously Photoshopped into this (ignore the stack of drawers next to the stool--that space will be open as part of the overhang.)

The hinges will be these, I think. ORB as long as it's not too coppery.

I'm not worried about finding plain knobs, but what about those drawer handles?

I am finding hardly anything that works. Restoration Hardware has the Maddox pull, which is being discontinued.

It's OK, not perfect (I've seen it in person and it's sort of rustic transitional); but the big issue is that it has definite copper undertones--not a good match at all.

You can actually get reproduction Bakelite handles.

However, these are seriously black and shiny. I do not want the island hardware to stand out or be too noticeable, but just fit in as if it were original.

Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: '20s Vintagey island hardware headaches

I was just going to say bakelite when I read that you were thinking the same thing. How many do you need?

Here are some in the brown color. There are quite a few listing for butterscotch and etc, etc., too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hardware-Bakelite-Cabinet-Pulls-Set-of-12-/271120446563?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item3f2009b463

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-7-Antique-Vintage-Bakelite-Cabinet-Drawer-Knobs-Pulls-Handles-/170954630730?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item27cdb0a64a

Here is a link that might be useful: bakelite pulls

o

How many do you need? I always say, why go for reproduction when you can have the real thing, often cheaper:

There are 8 of these (click photos to link to the current auctions on eBay). Maybe a bit too deco, veering into populuxe?:

New old stock (guy has 200 of 'em @ $15/ea), 1930's black bakelite (these are possibly my faves for your island):

These are touted as from the '50's, but are really trans-epochal ($15/set of 18):

And for what it's worth, a whole box of 36 of these, new old stock, in black, for $99. They have a pleasing Depression-era-mudguard-ness to them:

o

And some knobs, for good measure:

Here is a link that might be useful: new vintage black stainless bakelite knobs

o

Try Top Knobs

o

Top Knobs Victoria Falls pull. Comes in several finishes and sizes, but I have no idea about finish undertones in your color category IRL.

I like the idea of real vintage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoria Falls

o

Glass pulls might look cool in general but then again probably not with dark knobs. What about knobs for the drawers too? I have'm and love'm. I think white or cream ceramic might set off the piece nicely too.

o

Have you looked at Rejuvenation yet? Their ORB isn't coppery. They have a different style bin pull with a rectangular backplate.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/bevel-edge-bin-pull/items/bin-pull-bevel-edge-c4503-ob

You could also call the Portland store and see what they have in vintage hardware. They have tons of stuff from the old Portland homes.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 7:57

o

I bought a lot of our hardware on eBay, even finding things I wasn't looking for. It takes time, but you might find a nice surprise. Others have you off to a great start. I'd actually look for vintage hinges as well.

o

Work keeps interrupting my posting, sorry.

These are great. My fave would be circus's new old stock but those are only 3" long. I need 8 total. The two on the front facing the stool won't get much use, but the six on the back attach to my most frequently-used prep drawers. One problem with the new old stock is that it's only a hair short of 3" long in total length. I think that's a bit tight for a drawer I'm opening all the time, no?

deedles's brown ones might look more ORB-y but there aren't enough available.

I will look into more of these options and then report back. 'Til then keep the great ideas coming!

Also, won't the Bakelite stand out too much, or look like a mismatch to the ORB hinges?

Those bin pulls are also great. I'm too chicken to buy something like that without touching them, though.

o

Marcolo,

Take a look at this on Ebay. I think exposed screws on cast iron are more vintagey. The dimensions of the pull measures 3 1/2" from screw hole to screw hole. The height is 1 1/4". And the width is 1/2". I looked at this for my hardware and have a sample I can send you if you like. I ended up going with something else that was more rustic. But this felt nice to touch and had ample room in the cup. This seller has more stuff as well and the prices are good.

Lalitha

Here is a link that might be useful: Reproduction cast iron bin pull

o

breezy--thanks! Got the TK Victoria Falls, and they're a contender.

There's a sense of newness to them, of course. I'll keep my eye out for real vintage. But I like them. Thanks for the tip!

o

Wow, those are beautiful! Gosh, I don't think you could go wrong with those pulls. Really elegant and looks like a great finish on them, too.. good find, Breezy!

(yes, I'm rockin' the exclamation points here!)

o

Boy, I just checked out the TK Aspen collection. Cast bronze gorgeousness.

They have a beautiful cup pull with hidden screws, Marcolo.

o

I like the ones breezy posted a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here