Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

Flooring for the kitchen

renov8r
10 years ago

We have decided we would like to have hardwood flooring in our kitchen. The rest of the house has old oak strip flooring. We have had 3 different pieces of advice.
Our designer wants to see the same type of narrow strip flooring installed.
One contractor has advised engineered hardwood since it is much more impervious to water and scratches in a busy work area.
Another contractor advised the wider hardwood laid and finished in the kitchen. It is thicker than the engineered so if scratched can be repaired. Are there big differences in pricing of these 3 types of floor?
I know that getting quality work laying and finishing hardwood is an issue in our area which makes the engineered floor appealing. Also it will take longer since it must be finished after it is laid.
My heart would like the thin strips but I am really concerned about cleaning it and avoiding scratching.

Comments (4)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

We just had the 21/4" x 3/4" white oak floor installed and finished in our new kitchen 400sqft. It looks fabulous. In my opinion, it is worth the money and hassle. Also, we worry about the floor scratching too, but it is the floor and you have to walk on it. The strip flooring will, IMHO, look better and last longer.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I've never had wood in the kitchen so can't speak as to its durability, but if I had a choice between matching my existing hardwood or going with something else, I'd match what I already have, at least in stain color and finish. My walnut stained Carlisle Eastern white pine wood flooring (12-20" wide) with tung oil finish adjoins the more redder toned 5" wide engineered wood flooring in DD's bedroom. The difference in the color where they meet bothers me - so much I tried (unsuccessfully) to convince DH to replace her floor. If they were the same color but different woods, I don't think I would notice so much.

From pictures I've seen online, it seems easier to match the narrower boards. If you go with the engineered wood for durability, can you get it unfinished so you can use the same stain (if any) and finish that you have on your existing floors?

We're in the early stages of planning a kitchen remodel and I want to replace my slate floors with wood. My preference would be to bring in the Eastern pine floors from the adjoining rooms but DH is adamant against it because they're so soft and I drop things. I like the character of the dents and nicks - DH, not so much. He also would prefer to use engineered wood (he would actually prefer to not use wood at all, but that's another issue!).

So, I'm looking at using either unfinished engineered hickory or white oak flooring that I can stain the same walnut color and finish with the tung oil. Also, instead of even trying to match the 12-20" widths of the pine planks, I'm thinking of using a completely different herringbone pattern for the kitchen. I'm hoping having the same finish and using a pattern will make the difference in wood species less noticeable - and more like the difference in flooring was intended, as opposed to an afterthought.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I'm of the opinion that flooring transitions are a significant aescetic detraction. So I'd go with the same flooring throughout, despite the durability risk.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

If they were the same color but different woods, I don't think I would notice so much.

When we remodeled the kitchen and family room in our previous house, we installed engineered bamboo, then we refinished the 100-year old oak floor everywhere else in the house to match color-wise. It all looked great and we loved the bamboo.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living