Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

Soapstoners with a non-subway backsplash?

amberley
14 years ago

All you stoners out there-

I am getting Python, and have been back and forth with what I will do for a backsplash. I do not want subway tile, or anything attention-seeking. I would like the backsplash, to well, fade more to the back. I am considering beadboard or v-groove, or even a wainscot look. I don't want to wrap the stone up the wall due to expense. Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, I was hoping someone out there in GW-land would have a pic with a 1" "lip" backsplash of the counter material.

Just got my Rohl's sink today! I can't wait!

Comments (16)

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

all you have to do is look at the websites of crown pointe or any of those other real fancy inset door type new england cabinet makers and you will see what you are looking for.

case in point:

http://www.kennebunkkitchens.com/pages/portfolio.html

have fun and enjoy your python. i had cobra in my last kitchen and loved ti.

Here is a link that might be useful: not a useful link...just my blog

• sduck2
    14 years ago

I wasn't really into doing a backsplash either so I continued the beadboard to the backsplash and it worked out fine. Splatter seems to wipe off OK.

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

You don't have to have a backsplash at all. I don't like them for me so I have the painted wall. This way I can change what I want whenever I want. The tile etc is way too limiting for me. Here is one pic. I used BM Regal Matte...it is perfectly scrubbable and looks the same after nearly 4 yrs as it did when it was painted. Hope this helps....also WAY cheaper to just paint and use art work. c

cooking area:

baking area:

{{!gwi}}

• lightlystarched
    14 years ago

I don't have a backsplash either, just paint. I think I am starting to be glad I never comitted to a b/s. I like how my space is very subdued.

Soapstone is some kind of Brazilian.

If I ever did decide to do a b/s I like how plain this one is:

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

trailrunner i love your kitch!

Here is a link that might be useful: not a useful link...just my blog

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

Thank you sabjimata ! I loved looking at your blog. I too have a lemon tree, it is a lemonquat and in a huge pot. It is covered right now with fruit. I wanted to say that you can't plant the seeds to get edible lemons as they are a grafted tree, at least that is my understanding. Too bad as it would be fun to get something from those huge seeds ! Have a wonderful New Year. c

• megpie77
    14 years ago

amberley-I love beadboard and think it would be a great choice. However, I think it might be a bit more eye catching than a white subway. It's just my opinion that white subway is subtel and the groves in the beadboard are more noticeable. I'm probably the only one who thinks this. I just asked my husband his opinion and he thinks subway is more noticeable and beadboard more subtle. I know how hard this decision is. We've had our soapstone counters since early summer and still no backsplash. Good luck!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I have a piece of glass painted the wallcolor.

• growlery
    14 years ago

I have 4x4 milk white tiles, no stone backsplash, right down to the Minas counter. I think the 4x4 is harder to date than the subways.

Sorry, I do not own a camera.

I like the simple look. I've had it -- 8 months? Something like that. My kitchen is very small.

My contractor used the epoxy grout, so I don't think there's a big need to worry about staining or water, so I don't think a 4" stone backsplash is a necessity on those grounds, I think it's a style issue.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

what about what elizpiz did? It looks very interesting with the soapstone.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback!

For those of you who just have the bare painted wall, what do you have at the joint between the counter and the wall? I guess that might be the only concern I have with no backsplash at all.

Also, can I install beadboard/wainscot after everything else, or should it go in before the cabs and counters?

One of the reasons that I don't want anything "shiny" i.e. most tile, is I am going for a very matte look overall in the kitchen. Soapstone is matte, the hardware and faucet is matte, the floors (salvaged wood) will be satin, and the cabinets will be either milkpaint (super matte!) or eggshell regular paint.

I call my look English-Southern-farmhouse-with a twist of -industrial and Belgian. Small space too-kitchen is opening up to dining room, and each room will be approximately 10x15. I am trying to have the kitchen look more like a room in the rest of my house, so maybe crossing tile off the list entirely is probably the way to go.

So for the ramble!

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

I have clear caulk and it has held up fine since it was placed. There is essentially no seam there at all. The counters fit VERY tightly to the wall. Hope this helps you. c

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

What about soapstone tile for the backsplash?

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Here are a few pictures of ss and non subway backsplashes.
    enjoy.
    ~boxerpups

cococpzy

Soapstone

Bestofremodeling

SRS Woodworkings

Grabill Kitchens

GladWyne

Cotedetexas ss

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

boxerpups- you rock!

I think you must have the biggest library of eye candy kitchens on earth! Oh if I could have that first kitchen! Love everything about it!

bill- love the look of the soapstone on the wall, but that would not be so easy on the budget, and I think it would be a bit too dark overall.

I think I am leaning toward the beadboard/v-groove/simple paneled wainscot look. I sm still hoping someone out there has a pic with a 1" piece of the countertop, with a backsplash on top.