Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen bench seating??

Posted by brookeecm (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 23:55

We are planning to install an L-shaped floating bench, similar to the construction in the first picture. The reason we have chosen this construction is because the bench is being built over a baseboard heating unit.

Important to note is that, ours differs in that it will be counter-height--to go around our island. The bench's actual height will be 23" off the ground.

My husband noted today, that perhaps because our bench seat will be elevated higher than standard seat height, "stretchers" might be necessary. Stretchers are typically the bars situated between counter-height stools legs, located close to the bottom of the legs. These strips of wood help provide a place to rest your feet so they aren't dangling in midair.

Do we need stretchers to ensure comfortable seating? Are we dealing with a design flaw here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen bench seating??

Well, I'd mock it up and see what you think when you sit 23" high. (But, yes, I think you might need stretchers to be comfortable.)

o

I didn't know they were called stretchers, but they're critical to my comfort. Found counter stools online that I loved, then went to sit on one in person, and the stretcher was too far back to be any help to me. The stools I did get are very comfortable for both me and DH. 23" seat height and 8.5" stretcher height. I'm 5'7" and DH is 5'11". YMMV.

o

Having your feet dangle for even a short length of time is uncomfortable.

It is hard to imagine a set-up with a bench attached to a wall while being close enough to an island to allow someone to comfortably eat or work on the counter. And everyone but the person on the end is stuck in place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here