Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

please post your inset cabinets with bead

susanlynn2012
10 years ago

Please post pictures of your inset cabinets WITH BEAD. Thank you in advance for sharing.

Comments (32)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I loved all the inset cabinets without the bead but if I do go with Shiloh their beaded inset is the same price as the inset without the bead just as their glaze is free. I prefer no glaze so I am skipping this but would I like the bead?

• aries61
    10 years ago

Bumping for Lynn. Posting over the weekend have a tendency to get lost pretty far down the posts.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Giving her another bump. She's seen my pics, so I'll not bother repeating.

• michelle16
    10 years ago

picture with bead

• michelle16
    10 years ago

up close of bead

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! The bead is very pretty adding a little extra to the drawers. I love the drawers with the bead and without the bead. But maybe if it is free, I would want it. Thank you Michelle for the close up for the drawers. Michelle, your kitchen is gorgeous!

Thank you Aries61 for bumping up the thread.

Thank you Gooster for bumping up the thread and reminding me that your kitchen also had the beaded inset that I loved.

Anymore pictures? Thank you everyone for your help and for anyone else that has some close-ups of their drawers or to refer me to a link to their kitchens. I really love the look of inset cabinets.

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Hang tight Lynn. I am so close to being finished. I will try to snap a couple of photos tomorrow when I have daylight. Here's a drawer stack with extended stile "in process" from early days. I absolutely love the bead but it is certainly a dressier look than a normal inset.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Belle_va, I love your cabinet door! I do love the Bead in that it dresses up the door but still has that shaker look I love in the inset style cabinet. Which brand is your doors and which white did you choose as it is very pretty.

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,
    I just snapped a few more with my phone. Let's see if they come out okay. The close up on the back of the peninsula really shows a lot of bead... the lighting is dim and the color is washed out but you get some idea of the bead. I'll do glamor shots when it is all done.

Here's that drawer stack installed

Tile is not grouted yet

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Lynn- I ended up using a local custom cabinet-maker. The paint color is White Dove. (Matched in whatever spray varnish the shop uses.) I looked at Shiloh and thought they had lovely cabinets and an especially nice selection of whites. I really loved the KD that carried Shiloh (she also carried Crystal) (I also looked at Crystal,Plain and Fancy & Crown Point) I am sure I would have been happy with any of those companies- totally happy... For me here were the pros and cons for local vs factory: Pro: We have a 100 year old house and it turned about to be absolutely invaluable to have the cabinet maker right here. He was able to run back to the shop to make small adjustments. I was able to have a really collaborative relationship with him. (I am sure he LOVED my daily emails agonizing over 1/8th inches!) There are almost no seams- all straight runs have a single face frame. I believe most of the companies I listed above can combine cabinets but for something like my peninsula which is 8 feet long, I don't know how practical it would have been to ship that way. Cons: I am pretty sure the paint finish from any of the cabinet companies listed above is superior and paint finish was really important to me. I am pretty sure I compromised there.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Belle_Va- I love the bead! Your cabinets are beautiful and I love the white chosen! Your cabinet maker did a wonderful job! Thank you so much for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Belle_Va, looking at your doors again, I know I want the bead as I love the slightly dressier look that makes my heart sing. Thank you for sharing. I also fell in love with Michelle's beaded door, Gooster's beaded door, and so many inset kitchen with and without the bead.

• aries61
    10 years ago

belle_va, did you post a final reveal?

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Oh, I love beaded inset cabinets. They make me go oooOOoooooo. It's ridiculous how much they speak to me. To the point I've pulled out cabinets and given them away when I find a beaded cabinet at the reuse centers.

These days, frequently the bead is not extra. Shop around. It's becoming such a popular detail, it's also become a competitive detail.

Oh - and if anyone wants to get rid of there's because they're so traditional? Do mention it to me. I'll come take them down for you. Of course, anything in them becomes mine, too, but that's negotiable.

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

i have not *yet* posted a reveal. i am plagued- like so many before me- with those tiny few last details that i just can't get done. i somehow lost steam. i lost motivation. i lost inspiration. my heart just hasn't been in it lately.but one of these days... i'll get it finished and a reveal posted!

• mdln
    10 years ago

disclaimer: not my cabs (yet) - pics from my KD showroom

• agk2003
    10 years ago

mdln, who makes those cabinets? they look lovely.

• amh615
    10 years ago

AGL2003, don't quote me on it, but I am almost positive the cabinets she shows above from the KD are Shiloh. I recognize their catalog which is resting on the counter. We ordered Shiloh Beaded Inset Polar White, but they are not yet installed....Renovation starts this week!

• mdln
    10 years ago

@ AGK2003 - I am so very SORRY I missed your post.

@ amh615 - you are correct. BTW - I am also getting Polar White, in memory of the polar winter we are having in Chgo. :-)

They are Shiloh beaded inset, aspen door style, in soft white.

This post was edited by mdln on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 21:35

• soonermagicmama
    10 years ago

Here is my kitchen with beaded inset

More detail:

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cabinets are gorgeous! I really love the beaded inset look. Thank you everyone for sharing and for those that told us the white painted color used, thank you.

• mdln
    10 years ago

@ SoonerMagicMama - beautiful kitchen!

What color is your grout? I really like it.

• soonermagicmama
    10 years ago

My kitchen is 7 years old and I don't remember details like grout color! We're contemplating a move into a space that would require a major renovation ... so I'm back to Gardenweb trying to get some ideas! At the time that we were building, I obsessed over the grout color; it's some sort of light gray.

• 2LittleFishies
    10 years ago

I didn't get to read all of this but I went back and forth for a long time on bead/no bead.

Thrilled I didn't get the bead for cleaning reasons. Also, I really don't miss seeing one either...

• mdln
    10 years ago

@ SoonerMagicMama - obviously obsessing over your grout color paid off, it looks great.

Can't believe your kitchen is 7 years old, also looks great!

• aries61
    9 years ago

mdln, curious the showroom that you took pictures of the Shiloh display in Crystal Lake?

• mdln
    9 years ago

@ aries61 - yes, it was. Any reason for asking?

• aries61
    9 years ago

mdln, Yes, I thought that I remember seeing the display and was trying to remember where I saw it. There are a lot more Shiloh dealers in the Chicago area now then was several years ago.

• mdln
    9 years ago

While I did not end up purchasing them at that location, I can highly recommend Greg. He was a pleasure to work with.

Do you have or are you getting Shiloh?

• aries61
    9 years ago

I was thinking about getting them, but leaning toward Conestoga now.

Shiloh does make a nice cabinet. I did get some aggressive pricing from a few dealers.

• mdln
    9 years ago

@ aries61, I considered 5 different Shiloh dealers, all very close in price except for one who was 18% less. Please let me know if you change back to Shiloh and want more info.

Good luck.

• aries61
    9 years ago

mdln, Thanks I'll keep the offer in mind if I change my mind.

The two places that I found that had the best prices were in Gurnee and Pingree Grove.

You'll have to post pictures when you get them installed.