Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyscott3

4x12 glass subway tile for backsplash

andyscott
9 years ago

Has anyone found a reasonable price for 4x12 glass (not ceramic) subway tiles? It seems like the least expensive I have seen is around $15/sq ft.

Based on the pictures that I have seen, they look fabulous on a backsplash!

Comments (19)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Ours weighed in at about $13.xx/sq ft. I'll have to take a look at the make/brand when I get home.

edit: It looks like this if it's the kind you were talking about.

This post was edited by schicksal on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 7:19

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

schicksal, that's exactly what I had in mind! That backsplash really looks terrific, so different than the same old stuff mosaic. I like the way you have installed the tiles, not staggered, looks less busy and matches the European kitchen.

Can you share with me where you got these? I'm in the SF Bay Area, California. Thanks!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I'll have to take a look at the box when I get home from work. I was the installer though, and bought them from a local tile distributor. You're in luck - the exact same tile is also available online from ebay at roughly the same price I paid. I installed it in September so nothing should have changed since then.

I'll post again after I see what's written on the box. They offer a number of other colors if you want something less blue.

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the picture, to my eyes the tile looks a sea green, but you say it's a blue? BTW, I had been debating between 3x6 and 4x12, but my 4x12 decision is made after seeing your installation.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That is really pretty!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

The tiles are made by Glazzio. Crystile series, color C01 (Ice Mist). As with anything like this, I would recommend getting a sample and seeing how it looks at your house with your lighting before placing an order.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

I love the linear subway pattern with these tiles! Looks great! Simple yet modern. Does this tile company have a clear glass or a grey tile?

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks! I have asked Glazzio who their dealer is in my area. What kind of saw did you use to cut the tiles?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

@andyscott - I use a DeWalt wet saw to cut all stone and tile. It's expensive but was worth it due to the amount of work that I do. On the other hand I just used PowerPoint to make the template. It only took a couple of afternoons to do the backsplash; what was harder than anything else was trying to make sure outlets would line up correctly with each other and with the rows of tile way back when walls were open and there were no cabinets.

@nadianyc - There are 16 colors available, some of them are grey. I have never seen 100% clear glass tiles before. They would probably not look very good after being installed because you would see the thinset. A light color would work out best I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystile 4x12

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Schick - almost wishing I had gone with glass and might have if I found yours.
    Clear glass is not clear but has a greenish tint to it - just look at any glass shelves.
    Starphire glass is more expensive but the clearest of glasses but still had a slight blue hue.
    I think Schick is right as your wall would show through
    You could back paint (surf on DIY as we are not DIYers) to give it a painted look.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

Thanks Shicksal. Your kitchen looks terrific! A little off topic but what kind of hood insert did you use above your cooktop? I'm doing a similar style kitchen and trying to figure out which insert to get. I cook at least twice a day so need something fairly powerful but hopefully not too loud.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

One more thing, Shicksal, I checked the Glazzio Tiles site and it appears that they're a distributor. Were you able to buy directly through them? Would be great as it appears that they're in the outer boroughs of NYC.

• User
    9 years ago

I've bought Glazzio before through ProSource. Glazzio is a bit of a PIA as far as availability issues go. Seems like every time I needed to check availability, they were either backordered, or closed for some non-standard holiday. I've also used large glass subway from Emser in their Lucente series.

No large format tile is at all forgiving of a substrate that has humps and bumps. Do yourself a favor and check that, and address that, before you ever begin the project.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

@nadianyc - Thanks, the kitchen is not done yet, hence no "reveal" thread. The vent hood is by Prestige. It comes highly recommended from the Appliances forum and moves a crazy amount of air. I bought it from AJ Madison - it's an insert. They have two versions - one where the fans are installed on the vent hood and another where they are installed in line with the ducting. The second version is much quieter but I've had bad luck with fans installed in a hot place (attic) so I went with the regular model instead.

If you want the cabinets to be completely flat on the front as ours are you need to either bump the uppers outward or make them deeper than normal because the depth of the insert is 14-15 inches if I remember correctly.

I bought the tiles at a local distributor (Palmetto Tile Distributors) but they are readily available online, even on Ebay with free shipping.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Hi Andy - we bought our 3x12's (not sure how married you are to the dimension) from Lowes for $9something per square foot. Allen Roth is the brand and they do have a couple colors (grey and white are all I can remember). We have a Lowe's contractor account and one of their consumer credit cards so were able to get a little discount that way too. If you know someone who is a contractor they may have an account already set up. Good luck!

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swentastic - thanks! I went down to Lowes and they had an "ice" 3x12 for a little less than $9/sq ft as you said. 3x12 will work, right now we're debating which color works best.

• bobhood
    9 years ago

Check out Floor & Decor for 6x12 glass subway tile at $3.99 @ ($7.98 a square foot) They will send you a sample piece for $2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor & Decor glass tile

• User
    9 years ago

Beware F&D seconds. My installer won't do a job with their materials anymore due to them being out of square and varied thickness.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths