Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msh2000

Everything in its place

msh2000
16 years ago

I am designing my kitchen. What are the things we have that you made sure they have a home. I am getting overwhelmed and I want to make sure my kitchen will be organized. I have a recylcing center, place for cutting board and knife, home for toaster, rice cooker, pots and pans, plates, microwave, oven, fridge, freezer, garbage can, knives and forks, spatulas, spices, condiments, can goods, flour and sugar, break fast items. What else?

Comments (12)

• plllog
    16 years ago

Trays, serving and mixing bowls, teapots, pitchers, dishtowels, bags and wraps, paper towels, containers, cookie sheets, baking pans and molds, big utensils like rolling pin, sifter, masher/ricer, spatter guard, collanders and strainers, whisks, and ladles. And do you have a mandoline? food mill? skewers? Cleaning supplies. Picnic supplies.

I'm at the same stage you are :)

• muscat
    16 years ago

I made a map/chart of my planned layout of cabinets and drawers, then went through everything in my existing kitchen (literally opened up cabinets and looked at everything) and then wrot each thing in on the "map". I also had a bit of a wish list in my head of things I'd be adding soon, I hope ( like a KA stand mixer!) I had to revise a few times, but I think mapping it out visually helped a lot. I'm far from done, but in mid-remodel right now.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Like Muscat, I planned for everything...but I did it with lists on paper (I'm a list person!) I did the following:

1. First, I made a list of everything I planned to store in my kitchen (regardless of where it's stored now).

2. Then, I determined where each of my zones will be (prep, cleanup, cooking, baking, etc.)

3. Next, I identified the storage potential in each zone and listed them on a piece of paper with a section for each cabinet (base & upper) and one line per drawer or shelf in that cabinet. This included my pantry for my "storage" zone.

4. I then took the two lists and, while imagining myself working in each zone, put the dishes, tools, etc. that I will be using in cabinets in that zone. I filled in the lines in the cabinet list with these items.

This not only helped me "see" how things will fit, but it also showed me where I needed to "add" more storage. It will also help when I actually move back into the kitchen...I won't have to think about it, I'll be able to just put things away. It will also be a handy "map" for everyone to help find things the first few weeks w/o having to open every drawer or door!

HTH!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Oh...Muscat also wrote hers down....

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

In addition to what the others did, I also looked at items I had stored elsewhere in my house that I would have liked to be stored in the kitchen and I made sure I had storage for that. My goal was not only to get all my existing stuff back into the kitchen but make better use of the kitchen by putting things I need there.

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

good idea to plan ahead! as far as storage...we planned FIRST what items had to be left out on the counter, not stored away. for us: toaster, coffee maker,coffee grinder, stand mixer. everything else then had to have a place in a cupboard somewhere. i hate lots of things on the counter. i have succeeded in getting my hubby's knife block out of the kitchen, knives are now in a drawer. we are still arguing about the cutting board.
    we also put things back into the kitchen over the past year as cupboards became available (this is a DIY remodel of 1.25 years duration so far). if it hasn't made it back into the kitchen yet, it will not be coming back. instead it will have a home on some new storage shelves in the basement. good luck kren

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Things I don't think I've seen mentioned, but may have missed:
    blender, food processor, mixers (stand and hand), portable electric cooking appliances of all types...skillet, crock pot, waffle irons, toaster oven... Bread maker? I always overlook a place to keep bread, crackers, and chips, which take up a lot of room.

I hope 'flour and sugar' includes all sorts of baking items, like choc chips, baking powder, all the kinds of sugars, cornmeal, etc., etc. I have enough baking supplies to fill approx 4 ft of upper cabinets and maybe some below.

Junk/tool drawer?

Very good idea to plan ahead like this. I thought I had 'plenty of room' until I did this mapping, then changed some cute veggie-storing baskets into some big lower cabinets for holding things like our giant stainless steel bowls, and other oversized items. (The onions and garlic can live elsewhere...) I also had to work to locate a good home for the Tupperware-like containers.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I did the same thing as Muscat and Buehl and this worked wonderfully for me. I pretty much finished moving everything back into our new kitchen over the weekend and I'm loving how well it's all working. One thing I might add is to plan for your coffee prep area, if you drink it, and try to keep coffee, grinder, sugar, cups, etc. close to that area. The only thing I didn't plan for and am now working on fixing, is where and how to store the damp dish towel!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

I didn't see glasses or cups. (Those take up a fair amount of space in my kitchen). I'm guessing you don't drink tea or coffee- I need a whole area for those- not only the coffee maker and tea pot(s), but all the various coffees, teas, tea strainer, sugar, etc. An expresso maker is on my Christmas list.

Water bottles (I discovered my deep drawers aren't deep enough to have these standing up) - so it turns out it IS a good thing I have a few cabinets and NOT all drawers!

Bread/bread items - we always had an assortment of plastic bags stashed in one corner of my old kitchen- not very attractive- not sure where they're going this time- maybe one of the 'appliance garages'?

Broom closet.

Placemats, tablecloths, napkins (paper and cloth)

Message centre- phone, phone books, calendar, pens, paper, etc.

Radio, TV, CD player, computer (even if you don't use it now, you may want it in the future)

OMG, I gotta get my own list started- I may be moving into kitchen this week (If the *#//** granite ever gets installed)

• natal
    16 years ago

The only thing I didn't plan for and am now working on fixing, is where and how to store the damp dish towel!

LOL ... well, you're in luck. Last count I think there were 2 threads floating around on this forum. Isn't it funny how the smallest detail becomes so important to daily kitchen use?

• plllog
    16 years ago

I'm fascinated by everyone who's looking to bring kitchen things in from elsewhere in the house. That's not my own problem. I'm trying to figure out how not to plan storage for the six foot ladder, power tools, padded envelopes, camera equipment, shredder, file cabinet, long loppers, spare hammered dulcimer stand, folding lounge chair, massive block of paraffin, sundry pieces of styrofoam and all the other detritus that's currently in my kitchen. :D

• msh2000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Muscat, Great idea about the map. I am making my map right now. Thanks for the great idea!