Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaysgrl99

Let me see your false fronts/beadboard!

Jackie Kennedy
9 years ago

I elected to NOT have my builder install false cabinet door fronts or beadboard on my kitchen peninsula as the cost was around $2500 minimum. That's $$ that could be spent elsewhere such as lighting. I figured it would be a good DIY project to cover-up the drywall after we close. Have any of you installed your own (beadboard or false fronts)? I'd like any advice you have to offer. Thanks a bunch!

Here's pic of my peninsula so far (note...this is not the side that needs the beadboard. This side will have actual cabinets.)

Comments (6)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

We didn't DIY but here's the beadboard on our peninsula. Although it doesn't relate to the cabinet fronts I still like it. I like the effect of one long expanse of beadboard rather than discrete false fronts.

I believe the supports for the countertop were installed on top of the beadboard. So that might be one thing that would interfere with doing it yourself afterwards. Also if you have an outlet it would have to be installed flush with the beadboard, not with the panel behind it.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 9:52

• User
    9 years ago

There are some very good reasons to not do this later.

Matching things is one. Wood changes color over time. Paint will not be the same batch. It won't match well later.

Engineering for countertop support is another. You have to integrate that into the wall, and it's coverings. It's not just about traditional "support" either. You can't get by with a shorter overhang to avoid it. You have a potential leverage tipping situation even with a small overhang.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Yes I should say my supports aren't SUPPORTED by the beadboard, they're drilled into the secure cabinets THROUGH the beadboard. The beadboard they used in my case is relatively thin.

I could picture applying a simple trim detail like maybe a picture frame molding to a plain base cabinet after countertops go on if need be.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We did our own false doors on the back of the peninsula. Much easier with the countertop off. By the way, love, love, love that chubby B & W kitty! (and the marmalade kitty is cute too, I also have one of each)

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    9 years ago

This reminds me of a project I saw on a blog I follow. Not associated with the blog, but it's a pretty good resource if you want detailed directions on stuff like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodelaholic island makeover

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond!!

robotropolis.....your beadboard looks great! It makes me want to possibly install that instead of false fronts as this would be over 15' of false fronts. My outlets are further down, but you and the others are definitely right about the supports.....hmmm. I like your idea of picture fram molding on plain fronts.

Greendesigns- you're correct about the stain not matching after the fact. My plan was not to match it but possibly do a lighter contrasting color which will tie into the morning room. The kitchen cabinets a cherry java and I don't want to carry more darkness into the morning room as I have built-ins there as well.
    hpny2-thx for that note. Good to not it's not too insurmountable lol.

WOW....thanks for the link to that project anenemity! That project turned out great!