Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisamariess

May I see pictures of your undermount sinks with negative reveal

lisamariess
16 years ago

Would you post some pictures of your undermount sinks with the negative reveal. If you have a postitive one, that would be good also.

Thank you very much in advance.

Comments (29)

• patches123
    16 years ago

Here is mine. Its a Moen Stone sink.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

A negative reveal means that the countertop extends slightly beyond the basin edge. None of the sink mounting flange is visible.

Here is a photo of my Blanco SuperSingle sink with a negative reveal:

There are two schools of thought on undermount reveals. Those who think like me, preferring a negative reveal because there's just one less edge to gather debris or require scrubbing.

The other group prefers a positive reveal (where a small amount of the flat mounting flange is visible inside the sink cutout in the countertop), reasoning that there are no hidden places for debris or grime to collect.

My experience is that little or no grime collects beneath the edge of the sink opening with my negative reveal (I never find accumulated crud there). I also think it's an architecturally cleaner look, with one less layer of detail.

Your choice will just depend on your personal preference.

• biner
    16 years ago

sorry off topic but jamesk what is your countertop - it is stunning!!!!

• lisamariess
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you patches and jamesk for the pictures-your sinks look great! I wonder if anyone has a picture of one with a rounded edge-not sure what it is called, like a quarter bull nose or something like that. Where the edge rounds over the sink?
    Thanks again.

• kstones
    16 years ago

You just answered my concerns as well. We just had our countertops installed and thoght we were getting a negative reveal but now have a tiny amount of sink showing. I am glad to know that there is really two trains of thought . And one more thing i will learn to live with

• dcwesley
    16 years ago

Am I correct that a "zero" reveal is also an option? Pros? Cons? A photo from anyone?

• patti823
    16 years ago

I have a zero, also known as a "flush" reveal. I'm very happy with it. Here is a picture.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info on reveals - I have to make a choice soon.

Another OT question - patti823, what is your countertop material, and what coloer. BTW, love you backsplash!!

Thanks,

gng

• patti823
    16 years ago

gneegirl-
    Thanks for the compliment! The counter is granite. The color is UbaTuba, a very dark green with flecks of gold veining and black running through it.

Patti

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Thanks on the granite color. I know UbaTuba pretty well, but from picture angle I couldn't see UbaTuba. Again, it looks very nice.

• snookums
    16 years ago

Here's my negative reveal.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Oh, good grief - another decision I didn't even know I had to make. I can't tell anything on these pix - will have to check reveals as I look for faucets.

Looks to me like Jamesk has soapstone: maybe Green Mountain ice flower, unoiled. Whatever it is, it's beautiful.

• biner
    16 years ago

I'm impressed! Thx Raynag. We are making our concrete countertops but I just love Jamesk's stone. That's also the colour I'm aiming for. Right now we are figuring out how to support our sink beneath the concrete (no plywood) and we will also be using a negative reveal.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

My soapstone was called "Classic Donato" by Michael Homchick Stoneworks in Kenmore, WA. The name may be a proprietary one given to it by that particular stone yard. I'm not sure. The photo above was taken shortly after the completion of my home renovation in late 2005. Since then (and as all soapstone will do), it has darkened somewhat with daily use and after occasional oilings. It is, however, still a soft greenish-grey colour that I'm very pleased with.

Here is a more recent photo showing a section of stone at the corner of the sink:

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Homchick Stoneworks

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Thanks to y'all for the photos. The negative reveal photos have convinced me that's what I want when we do the kitchen. : )
    Susan

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Here's mine. This faucet is a good example of what not to get. The reach is not far enough for a double sink and it does not have a pullout.
    Donna

• sjerin
    16 years ago

I have what must be an obviously stupid question, as I have never seen it mentioned before. Why does an undermount sink have to sit at the lower edge of the counter? Can it not sit flush or just ever so slightly lower so that there is no counter edge showing around the perimeter around the sink?

• julier1234
    16 years ago

Not a close up, but I love it my sink

{{!gwi}}

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

Here's my 0 as well and loving it...

{{!gwi}}

• dcwesley
    16 years ago

Any comments on why a zero reveal vs. a negatve reveal? Is it primarily a cosmetic decision? Does the sink choice influance the decision? Is one easer to clean than the other?

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

IMO, a straight vertical line is easier to clean than a zig zag line, is it not? A 0 reveal is like a straight vertical line, easy to clean & wipe (in 1 shot).

A negative or positive reveal is similar to a vertical zig zag. I imagine that they would be a bit bothersome to clean. Especially so with a positive reveal since it would have water sit on the edge often; thus, needs more wiping to keep it clean.
    However, if looks is what you're after and you don't mind the cleaning, then go for it. You will be the one to feel whether you're working at your kitchen or enjoying at your kitchen. In my case, at the end, all the decisions mattered. My kitchen didn't needed to be perfect. I wanted a kitchen that is functional and practical; yet, it doesn't hurt for it to be also beautiful.

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

sjerin, what you're asking is that either the sink wouldn't have a rim to be mounted on, or the stone must be slit horizontally around the sink hole edge to tuck in the rim of the sink.

Scenario #1, no rim to support. The sink may be too weak to be supported. The only support would have to be under the sink and that all depend on the type of the cabinets and the weight of the sink.

Scenario #2, to cut a slit around the edge opening is possible but I don't know if they make a diamond head tool for it. First the stone must be strong, 2nd, it must be thick enough to have a slit. To be able to mount the sink, the seam of the stone countertop must be at the sink opening in order to slide the rim of the sink into the slits. Then the seams would be "glue" together.

I imagine, if you ask a skilled fabricator, he/she can find ways to do it but it'd cost you a bundle for labor.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

OT...Patti82, what is your backsplash? Slate? Other? What about vendor & Color name?

TIA!!

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

The main reason is the fabricator. The easiest to fabricate is a negative reveal because it doesn't have to be even, mistakes don't show. On the other hand a zero reveal has to be exact as well as a positive reveal. My fabricator wanted the negative because it was the easiest to fabricate. I liked the look because it's more comtemporary. If I was doing a traditional kitchen I would have went with a positive reveal.
    JMO,
    Donna

• patti823
    16 years ago

buehl-
    Yes, my backsplash is slate and it's called Baoding Cream, by Rush River Stone Studios.
    Here's a link to the place where I purchased it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate

• hedygs
    16 years ago

I love your sink Julie. I should because we have the same one! I asked for a zero reveal and I am very happy with it.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

A negative reveal might be better for hiding imperfections in a handmade sink, like the Shaw's farm sink. If your top lip is especially wavy, or slanted (as mine is), then a negative reveal will hide that better. (But lots of people have Shaw's with postivie reveals. Mine is too wonky.) Regarding negative vs zero reveal, with a zero reveal, one will see the caulk, right? So that may or may not be an issue for someone. I prefer not to see the caulk, so I prefer even a tiny negative reveal (like 1/16th-1/8th).

Regarding the question about why an undermount sink has to sit lower than the counter. The easiest answer is because that is the definition of "undermount." :-) There is also an "upmount" style where it sits above the counter. And there is a "flushmount" where the counter and sink are on the same level. But some of these styles can probably only be done with a farm style sink that sits on a base, and needs no support from above.

Francy

• sjerin
    16 years ago

Thanks very much ntt hou and Francy. I think I don't realize just how an undermount sink is installed; I thought only drop-ins have to sit on a rim, but then, duh, what else would hold it up?? It's good to know about a possible "flushmount".