Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Design Around This #23: Wild Light Fixtures

cawaps
9 years ago

Okay folks, we've had about a week to track down some wild, weird, and funky light fixtures and to work on some kitchen designs incorporating them. This is the thread for posting the results of your hard work.

If you're wondering what this is about, please refer back to the introductory thread, Background for Wild Light Fixtures.

Even if you aren't doing a design yourself, we'd love to hear your comments and opinions. Constructive criticism is encouraged.

Comments (85)

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

nosoccermom: I thought for sure those fixtures were wood, but I had to look closer after your comment. I was completely wrong! They are metal: copper. I hope they still work with the design even if they're copper. They're designed by Tom Dixon and called "Etch Web Pendant".

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

LavenderLass, I love sci-fi (anything with tentacles rocks) and green is my favorite color. It’s good that James and Veronica found each other, because their tastes aren’t exactly mainstream. I would thoroughly enjoy touring their home, though, and I don’t doubt that they lived happily ever after.

I agree, it’s the shape of the legs on that velvet chaise that are remarkable. It looks poised to walk around the room. But the black color works well with the black tub too.

Pricklypear, that is such a pretty board. There’s a lot of red there, but in real life, the room would be mostly whites (cabinets, table, counters) punctuated by the appliances. I think the backsplash is fun and a good tie-in to the remarkable jellyfish light fixture. The floor looks just right for a beachy cottage, and adds a nice neutral warmth.

Cawaps, I’m not sure I’d let Cassandra babysit my kids, but I do admire her for knowing what she wants, and running with it. The red glass inserts are a bit worrisome for me. I’d probably try to encourage her to use clear glass, and paint the back cabinet wall red. That would be a nice background for her skull dinnerware (AngiolettiDesigns on Etsy.)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, one more, just because making these is more interesting than the other things I SHOULD be doing.

I ran across this fixture looking for something else. It's apparently done on a 3D printer. For me (and for the designer, I think, judging from the pics), it isn't so much about how the fixture looks, it's about how the shadows it casts look.

Since it was all about the shadows, I couldn't do my usual board construction, so here's more of a collage.

I took the tree and branch theme and probably carried it a bit too far (I did change out a a rug that had a grey & white branch theme in favor of something more grounded.

The fixture is "Forms in Nature" by HildenDiaz (1stDibs.com)
    The driftwood table is from alldriftwoodfurniture.com
    On the driftwood theme, I chose greywashed kitchen cabinets (I pulled the pic off Pinterest, where people are terrible about crediting anything, so apologies to the homeowner or designer if they run across this)
    Cedarvale drawer pull and knob from ncrustic.com
    Rainforest brown marble, for obvious reasons. I think this is my favorit part of the kitchen.
    Safavieh Palm Beach Silver Gray Sisal Rug from Overstock.com
    Cork flooring from Globus in color Mink (corkfloor.com)
    Salvaged wood hutch from knockoffdecor.com
    Japanese woodblock prints by Hajime Namiki from Fujiarts.com
    The wall paint is Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

"But, it looks like a giant pine cone," said Bob.
    "Well, it’s a vacation home in the woods, isn't it?" Heather reminded him. "It's the perfect light fixture. Just leave the decorating to me."

Bob agreed. They stained the wooden floor a cool weathered gray, to contrast with the warm tones of their new teak veneer cabinets.

Slate appliances from GE complemented the metallic gray Silgranite sink, centered in a recycled counter top. Penny tiles of stainless-covered porcelain added the soft shine that Heather loved.

She was overjoyed to find the Danish Modern teak dining table for sale on First Dibs; she thought the rounded comma shapes were a perfect complement for her giant pine cone.

Bob was less thrilled when he learned the price of the table, but being a wise and sensible husband, quickly adapted to his new schedule of working three jobs. And they lived happily ever after.

Pendant Lamp by Jonas Lonborg, Marvelbuilding.com
    Teak veneer cabinets with recessed wood pulls (I am not sure where Bob found these; I think he has a buddy who builds cabinets.)
    Somertile stainless steel penny backsplash, overstock.com
    GE appliances in slate
    IceStone recycled countertops in Moroccan Red
    Kashkuli Red area rug, David E. Adler Inc.
    Woods Wallpaper by Anthropologie
    Blanco single bowl Metallic Gray sink
    Newport Brass "East Linear" faucet in polished chrome
    Celilo Dining Chairs, thejoinery.com
    Danish Modern "Yin-Yang" teak pedestal dining table, by designers Ole Gjerløv-Knudsen and Torben Lind ($5800, poor Bob.)

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

So many wonderful kitchens!

Well, I guess it's time that James and Veronica actually decorate their kitchen. They had such a good time with the other rooms....but they wanted something different for the heart of their home.

After trying for weeks to find inspiration, Veronica asked James if he'd ever considered a modern kitchen. None of the traditional styles they looked at were really 'them' and sci-fi is all about modern, even futuristic style.

James loved the idea, but didn't want to go too modern. He wanted a clean-lined style, but also some color. They couldn't decide what color to use....until they found this chandelier. Not at all the modern piece they had imagined, Veronica was completely taken with it. "It looks like fire in glass!" she said, as she turned to James. They looked at each other, then said as one, "We should use red!"

From Design Around This

They decided they would get modern appliances. White glass was brighter than stainless steel and reflected the 'fire' of the chandelier...

From Design Around This
    From Design Around This

Now it was time for the red...clear, bright red...with white counters and gray backsplash. White uppers seemed a bit more subdued and the prep sink was perfect next to the fridge.

From Design Around This

Red base cabinets, white counters and white uppers (or open shelves) were exactly what they wanted for the perimeter.

From Design Around This

But for the sink on the island, Veronica thought silver/white base cabinets and black counter tops would be a nice change. The sink should be the star, she told James.

From Design Around This

For the breakfast area, they couldn't decide whether to use red or not...but decided to keep it very simple, to really set off the chandelier. A marble table and black chairs were a classic choice.

From Design Around This

Veronica looked at everything and thought....I love it, but it still needs a little more fire. Something with movement and light, but not too big...and more red, to tie that side of the room with the kitchen base cabinets. This seemed like the right fit...and the room was done.

From Design Around This

"Now, all we need to do is start cooking!" said Veronica. I've always wanted a warm and welcoming kitchen and this is definitely it. Who knew modern could be so much fun?

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 2:42

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Now that I've had time to formulate my thoughts:

Iowa - you shouldn’t be scared to DAT I dig that green kitchen - very funky and hip. I worry what kind of light those fixtures would cast - do you have any in your house? I’ve always admired them but never had the guts to buy one!!

Redhouse - when you said you were picking that fixture I got really excited to see what you’d come up with and I’ve got to say you did a really great job! So mod and I ADORE the snowy window touch! I think those tulip tables are just outrageous - impeccable! I also really like the blue kitchen with the ship chandelier - it’s very classy and I like the modern Lucite stools against the classic silhouette of the island.

Nosoccermom - I did a double take when I saw those pendants - I WANT THEM SO BAD! I really think your kitchen looks sharp and kinda wish I had seen it before I did the one in my house - it’s kind of delicate, kind of masculine, retro but without being over the top. Where did you find the bar stools? I think I might need to have them….

Pricklypearcactus - I had a dream I was walking through your kitchen last night! I saw all the postings yesterday on my phone but my husband commandeered the laptop for the night so I didn’t have a chance to say how pretty I think all of your choices are. I agree with the beachy cottage interpretation - such an unexpected fun combo with the pretty creams and the vibrant red orange. It’s funny how everybody is leaning toward funky retro with their themes - I really love it! Those Tom Dixon fixtures are rad!

Mudhouse that kitchen! The zoomed in shot with all the textures is what got me first- I want to reach out and touch it! I really love the ambers and greys together - what a great combo with such rich welcoming tones. And that light fixture - is it wood? I tried to search it on pinterest but it came up with a questionable link. It looks like a glowing pinecone! I've seen that wallpaper before and could never think of a creative way to use it but that is really stellar in there - I totally expect to be surrounded by singing woodland creatures in that kitchen. Gorgeous!

Unfortunately of all the kitchens my vote is for lavender's bathroom! I just love the whimsy and charm and I can tell how much joy you take in the process of weaving the story and the images. And as others have said, that chaise is just a stunner. I can imagine it in a large lush room with marble floors, lots of glass and ferns and palm trees. Just lovely.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Swentastic, here's a better link for the pine cone pendant (it was hard for me to track down, too.) This version is made with 272 wooden leaves, and a bit over two feet tall. The link also shows a clear acrylic version.

Oddly, it's not clear how to find pricing or order it. (Heather must have had a friend in the trade.) So I probably shouldn't have used it for this thread, but I'm on a bit of a retro tear lately, and decided to use it anyway.
    Pinecone Pendant Lamp

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lavender Lass, The Study: I want this study. It's feminine without being overly foofy. The dark woods and the brown of the sofa keep it grounded. I love the play of the alligator skin with the reptile theme.

Pricklypearcactus, copper dandilion puffs: As you can see, the fixture also reminded me of dandilions. They are large and striking, but airy enough not to be overwhelming. You did a great job of pulling the orange/copper tones out in the cabinets and table. I love the Ogassian tile and am actually working on a design that pairs it with a very different fixture.

Mudhouse Pine cone: I love the orange/red of the counter and rug with the teak. The fixture is great--but it would be nice to have a source or manufacturer info.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

that's awesome! I think the acrylic one is really cool too actually. Funny enough I've seen some pinterest DIY jobbers using plastic spoons.

If we ever do this DAT again my next kitchen will have to stick to a budget - I definitely blew my wad on the last one but I couldn't help it!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Swentastic, the bar stool is called Grotto bar stool (lumisource). It's available at overstock, Target, Wayfair, etc. I thought I saw it 126.00/pair, but I guess it's the price for one.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you Cawaps. I sent an inquiry about a source for the Jonas Lonborg fixture, to the website that has it featured. Hopefully they will respond, so I can post it here. Fingers crossed.

Swentastic, thank you for posting the one made of plastic spoons. Love it! I don't know if I have time to do another board, but I'm so tempted by some of the interesting fixtures made from recycled/upcycled materials.

Regarding blowing the budget...unless a realistic budget is one of the stated goals of a specific DAT thread (which could be fun, too) I find it freeing to not worry about cost.

In real life I am frugal to a fault, but these DAT threads are good for pushing me outside of my comfort zone. And, exposing me to new things. It's just too much fun playing with items normally out of reach. (In real life, I'd pass out cold at some of these price tags!)

Budget, schmudget, I say. (Unless somebody reigns me in, and then I'll behave.)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mudhouse, I'm with you on not worrying about budget. While sometimes I'll do a board with a budget in mind (even if it isn't part of the theme), more often I'm trolling 1stDibs and selecting $25,000 dining tables or $100,000 artwork.

We do have a couple of budget related suggestions on the DAT idea list--under $10k kitchens and doing two boards with a similar look/feel but at high and low price points.

The other thing I don't particularly pay attention to in these boards are pragmatic considerations, like whether I would want fixtures as difficult to clean as IowaCommute's art glass fixtures so near the stove with the potential for grease and spaghetti spatter, or how much Cassandra would have to spend on lighting design services to be able to see anything in that black kitchen. I'm not saying these things don't cross my mind (they do, obviously), but these are just design boards. If anyone ever decides to execute them IRL, THEN we can worry about how to make it work.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Maybe DAT should be Dream Around This :)

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh, perfect observation, Lavender!

Cawaps, great points about the pragmatic considerations, too.

I'm pretty blown away by your board using the Forms in Nature art piece by HildenDiaz. It changes the kitchen work space to an art environment. What a fascinating idea, for any room of a house. I wonder how it would change the way common kitchen activities feel (making a salad, washing the dishes.) All of your silvery driftwood choices are lovely, and the rain forest marble counter is beautiful. The gray sisal rug and cork flooring choices are nice, because they're calmer (more) solid colors, but both still have a natural texture. I so wish I could spend time in this room.

LavenderLass, I like James and Veronica’s study very much, because you managed to pull together many items from very different styles/regions, and make it work! I always think that is very hard to do. I’d settle right in here, among all the wonderful warm textures.

Your kitchen board works well for me too. The Murano chandelier is beautiful. Your couple seemed very disciplined in their choices, finding materials and clean-lined designs that work well together (although I admired their free-wheeling choices in the other rooms!) I liked the tie-in of the fireplace flames in the last photo with the crystal flames in the first photo of the chandelier. Perfect.

Pricklypearcactus, another very nice board. Love how the textures are repeated and complementary; the Tom Dixon fixtures are wonderful with the Ann Sacks Geo Weave tile. I actually like that the fixtures are copper, because it adds another interesting material to the mix, and I think it's a nice "warmer" companion to the stainless in the room.

I heard back. The Jonas Lonberg “pine cone” fixture can be ordered by contacting the artist directly, in Copenhagen. You can see more of his interesting work (and his contact information) here:
    Cargocollective.com, Jonas Lonberg
    His facebook page shows the same pine cone light fixture in a milky white acrylic that’s pretty, too:
    Jonas Lonberg facebook page

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Mudhouse- I had thought about trying a more rustic table for the kitchen...but I could not find anything that I liked last night. Also, I didn't want to distract from the light. It's such a lovely fixture, but probably a real bear to clean! LOL I do like the red and it was fun to try something different. I don't do a lot of modern (well, modern to me) IRL.

I am the one, who actually loves Dany and the dragons...so the study was probably the easiest to do. I really like the GOT map/art and the coffee table is great! It reminds me of a weapon, but probably more Klingon than GOT. (I sound like a totaly sci/fi geek!) While I like the feet on the desk, my favorite piece is probably the chair. The color really brought Dany into the space :)

The bathroom was more difficult. The mermaid is a bit over the top, but I love it with the map. I wanted to bring in some of the romanticism of the sea...which Captain Nemo and the story seemed to share. When I found the chaise, I actually had to change my light to match. The original was green and lavender octopus...but did not match the chaise, which ended up being a wonderful choice! It does look like it's about to come to life and walk across the floor.

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 21:03

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Lavender, yup, I can definitely see the Klingon in that coffee table, now that you mention it. (No wonder I liked it.)

Interesting you changed your light fixture to keep the chaise (good choice!) I like how working on these rooms is a constant stream of changes and choices. Sometimes it's a waterfall effect; one change here affects five other things there. Sometimes I wonder who is in control; I'm just going along for the ride, to see if things work out. It's fun.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I think it's best to stay flexible. You don't want to miss out on a great design just to keep one piece.

Are more people planning to add designs during the weekend? When are we going to do the next DAT...and what should it be? :)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have one more complete and another in the works. I also don't want to be too hasty about starting a new thread--I want to give lurkers a chance to un-lurk and at least comment (and ideally try something on their own.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Steven and Kate are renting a house. They move a lot with Kate's job and know they probably won't be able to settle down and buy a house for another few years. Steven works from home as a graphic designer and also is home in the afternoons, when their three little girls come home from school.

Kate and Steven have learned to be very creative with their decorating and have fun with it, since it's usually only for a year or so, then they can do something new. One thing they can't do is paint, change cabinets, floors, etc...so everything has to be something that's easy to put back, when it's time to move again.

Three little girls...and they all love Frozen. So Steven decided to make something special for them, since he's also pretty handy with electical matters. It's how he put himself through college. So...I will show you the kitchen that Steven and Kate created for their daughters Jessie, Sarah and Emma :)

Here is the before picture...how the kitchen looked when they first rented the house. It's open to the dining room, which has a slider out to the patio.

From Design Around This

Remember, no major changes...so first the stick on tile they found online.

From Design Around This

Their table had seen better days, so they decided to paint it...since that's something they can paint.

From Design Around This

And it looked so good, they decided to upgrade their old chairs and found several similar chairs they painted and added some pretty blue and white fabrics on the seats. Nothing matches exactly but they all look fun together.

From Design Around This

Kate loves to go to vintage shops and antique stores and found a beautiful dresser (already blue) with a mirror to hang above it.

From Design Around This
    From Design Around This

More online shopping and they found the dining area rug and kitchen dishcloths for a very good price.

From Design Around This
    From Design Around This

Then Steven brought out the lights he'd made...one for above the island...

From Design Around This

and another for over the dining table...

From Design Around This

They kept the original lights, to put back up when it was time to move. The girls are loving the new kitchen and Kate and Steven are happy, too. There are some advantages to renting, after all :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Look at this Miele kitchen:

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Jacques and Sally met in Paris, where they married after short whirlwind romance. They are now living in Chicago, making a ton of money but also working 60-70 hour weeks. The true romantic and chef that he is, Jacques redoes their kitchen as a 5th wedding anniversary present while Sally is on a 3-week business trip to Singapore and Hong Kong.

Starting points are two champagne chandeliers he commissions, using the corks from their wedding.
    They already have:
    white high-gloss Siematic kitchen with Miele integrated appliances (coffee machine, steamer, oven).
    He adds Neolith ceramic copper/iron counters (replacing sparkly quartz)
    Replaces the white floor tiles with hardwood floor
    He keeps the white large format tiles for the backsplash but adds a copper backsplash behind the cooktop.
    The island doors are replaced with copper doors by Bauform.
    He gets new brass bar stool from 1stdibs
    The final touch is a large black-and-white photo of their wedding. Kitschy? Yes, but Sally will love it.
    Jacques can't wait to celebrate with their favorite Chartreuse when Sally returns.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Andrew is a tech nerd who likes his technology on the bleeding edge. His husband, Jake, prefers a retro aesthetic. So when a leak flooded their kitchen and unexpectedly moved up their long talked about kitchen remodel, there was a lot of back and forth about the look. Things started coming together when Andrew suggested the Synapse Suspension Light, a modular, color-change LED lighting system that bordered on sculpture. He pointed out how the shape paralleled the shape of Ogassian Japanese Weave tile, a relief tile that Jake had admired. "We could use the Japanese Weave for the backsplash," Andrew cajoled. Jake was sold, but only if he got to make the rest of the design choices. Andrew agreed, and Jake immediately knew he wanted a Big Chill refrigerator and range in blue. A Corian Mint Ice counter complemented the appliances. For cabinets, he chose slab doors in a medium gray (Boulder from Crystal Cabinets), and used industrial three-prong knobs for the hardware to match the shape of the backsplash and fixture. For the floor he chose a dark mottled gray tile (Daltile Heathland in "Ashland"). The Arc dining table from Foster+Partners had a nice mid-century look, and he paired it with Cordelia dining chairs from Modway.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Catching up on my comments.

Lavender Lass, the Kitchen: I have mixed feelings about the kitchen, mostly because when I scrolled down and saw the fixture I immediately had a clear vision for where I would take it--and it was wildly different from where you took it. So it took me a while to get my head into your vision and assess it properly. The silver and black of the island is more what I had in mind--the chandy evokes black tie elegance for me with tuxedos and cocktail dresses and flutes of champagne. So the red was a shock for me, but ultimately I think it works.

Lavender Lass Frozen: I think that the light fixtures are adorable (but the pragmatic part of me wonders how much light they provide). I love the semi-matched chairs, though I want them all to have curvy legs (which somehow emerged as a theme in your designs on this thread). Overall it comes off as more French to me than Scandinavia, but the lights put it solidly in Disney magic territory.

Nosoccermom, the fixtures in the Miele kitchen definitely qualify as wild, and the cabinets are fabulous.The well-ordered grid of pineapples on the island is a bizarre bit of staging, though.

Nosoccermom Champagne Corks: I'm fasciated by this fixture, and looked it up to try and figure out what kind of lamps it uses. I'm guessing either LEDs or Christmas mini-lights, but I wasn't able to get an answer. This is another one where practical me wonders if it would be bright enough. DAT me just thinks it really cool, especially with the story of the corks being from their wedding. The Neolith, the copper backsplash, and the copper doors all work really well to tie the look together. I couldn't figure out from your description what the green above the stools was. My one criticism is that the B/W of the photo is too stark with the warmer tones of the copper and the cork. I think that you could render the same photo in sepia tones, and it would work better in the space.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Just one more. I tried to pick a wilder fixture this time.

Leon Ardeux owns an art gallery in Pasadena, CA. He lives above the gallery, and uses his large loft kitchen as entertaining space for private showings and openings.

The tall brick walls afford plenty of room for this light fixture sculpture by San Francisco Bay Area artist Marin Hood. Leon has a child-like fondness for the bright fun of 1960's Pop Art, and this red, glowing, lifesize upcycled work made his heart flutter.

The loft's brick walls have been scumbled in pale gray and white. The blue Marmoleum flooring complements Leon's cobalt blue Viking appliances. Glossy red Ikea cabinets are topped with white oak countertops. A corrugated metal bar adds to the industrial vibe.

Superman tiles were coupled with handmade Mexican tiles in a backsplash behind the range. Leon never misses the San Diego Comic-Con. (Of course, Leon explains, he has a professional interest in the genre that inspired Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein, and no interest in being a geek.)

(I would have preferred not to have the gold background behind the bicycle fixture. I added a few warm gold touches to the boards, so the gold box behind the fixture wasn't so distracting. In real life, the red bicycle would look less overwhelming against the whitewashed brick.)

Below, three rolling stainless countertop height carts, topped with white oak, can be positioned as needed for catered events.

The long bar area is galvanized corrugated tin, with rusted trim, and a zinc top. Four bar stools upcycled from aluminum beer kegs can be rearranged as needed. Sisal and upcycled denim area rugs warm up the space, and clarify the separate zones in the large room.

Marin Hood Bicycle Light Fixture Sculpture Recycled Works by Marin Hood
    Flooring: Marmoleum Fresco Whispering Blue
    Walls: Leon's walls are brick, but you can buy this brick pattern wallpaper from WallPaperYourWorld on Etsy

Cabinets: Ikea Akurum, Rubrick Applad Red
    Countertops: White Oak butcherblock by devoswoodworking.com
    Quovis Countertop Table, Giulio Lazzotti, retailed by Design Within Reach
    Appliances: Viking appliances, Cobalt Blue
    Sink: Mirabelle undermount single bowl stainless
    Faucet: Newport Brass East Linear pull-out

Breakfast Table: Early 20th century French industrial steel, c. 1900, First Dibs
    Red Tolix Cafe Chairs, Pottery Barn
    Sisal Rug: Overstock.com

Corrugated Metal Bar, newenglandcountryrentals.com
    Denim area rug: Homedecorators.com
    Beer keg bar stools: These are from shagcarpetprops.com, but you can buy a kit to make your own from homewetbar.com
    Poster behind bar: Life Needs More Green Lights, by Rodney White, Amazon.com
    Light fixture over bar: Tom Dixon Beat Light wide suspension lamp

Superman tiles: Coastertrends on Etsy offers these in a 4" size; I've shown 6". Another source for custom made tiles is zazzle.com.
    Blue tiles: Brushed blue Mexican tiles, Mexicantiles.com

Roy Lichtenstein wall clock, InPhoenix on Etsy
    Andy Warhol print, Elvis I and II, 1964, art.com
    Roy Lichtenstein print, In The Car, 1963, art.com
    Bertoncello gold vase, 1960's

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Cawaps, your last retro/tech kitchen is an interesting and successful combination of elements I wouldn't have thought to combine (which is fun.) I think the blend works for me, personally, because the Japanese woven tile pattern triggers a visual memory of mid-century decorative concrete blocks, and I then link that pattern to the retro appliances. This is what I mean:

I looked up the Synapse Suspension light, and it would be beautiful in a room.

Nosoccermom, thanks for posting the Miele kitchen. The dark heavy wooden beams on the ceiling make a wonderful contrast for that fixture, which I keep trying to link to clouds (white and weightless.) Popcorn? Pretty cool! The pineapples are a little weird.

I liked Jacques and Sally's kitchen. Fun champagne cork fixture, and a good tie-in story. I like the repetition of round-ish shapes without being too obvious. Clean and elegant room. Love the texture of the Neolith counters, very pretty against the rich wood floor.

LavenderLass, I can visualize Steven and Kate's changed kitchen; going white/blue with the backsplash tiles would make a big difference, especially since the floor and appliances are already white. I like the contrast between the simple farmhouse-y rug and linens, and the sparkly modern fixtures. I always enjoy your choices of furnishings. (Now if we can just work that killer green velvet chaise back in there, somewhere...?)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Cawaps:
    You're right with the sepia tone for the wedding pic. It is kind of, but I'm still struggling with my word paint skills. And that chartreuse piece of fabric was Jacques idea to cover the stools (he ran out of time, though).
    Regarding the cork chandelier, see link below, click celebration chandelier. They are indeed LEDs.

Mudhouse: My DS and DH would love that light fixture. Maybe use one of our 9 or 10 bikes for that although not in our kitchen :)

Here is a link that might be useful: celebration chandelier

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 12:19

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Mudhouse- Wow! That is the best kitchen DAT I think I've ever scene...just amazing!

Everything plays off each other...and individually they're all interesting, but together...Wow! You nailed it :)

• function_first
    9 years ago

mud. house. rocks.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. Many (most? all?) of the rooms in this thread would be more beautiful than Leon's loft, in real life. But it helps me a lot to do these exercises, when I can dedicate the time.

I have been feeling bad about the lack of progress on our house in real life. To borrow a phrase from cawaps, "DAT me" gives (real life me) a little more energy, and hope. (Anybody else relate to that feeling?)

Everybody here rocks!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Absolutely! Right now, I don't know where I'll be in six months, let alone what my kitchen will look like. One thing is for sure...these DAT threads will help me, no matter what my kitchen starts out looking like.

Maybe the next one should be a "I'm on a tight budget and my kitchen is a disaster" DAT kitchen? :)

I did try to stay on budget with the Frozen kitchen...but that Steven is an amazing light designer, which saved a lot of money! LOL

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Mudhouse, I love that kitchen! It reminds me of Paul Rueben's house (Pee Wee Herman, hey I'm a child of the '80s), and it is so kitsch.

I am really liking the DAT exercise but to be honest I almost didn't submit my kitchens because I thought they weren't good enough. Eh. I guess it's a self esteem thing. I love making quilts (modern fabric with traditional patterns) and have given many as gifts. Well the gift recipients always ask me if I'm selling them, and I keep thinking about but don't really believe anyone would buy my stuff. I know, I know, I won't know until I try, but it's that stupid failure thing.

Sorry got off track. Back to kitchens. Our last house was an open floor plan very hard to decorate, and I just felt like I could never pull it together. So I thought DAT and doing the design boards would help to make a cohesive room. I've always thought I was a pretty creative person, but I'm a pretty plain jane in style and decor.

I think I will set a budget for one of these. I'm afraid I may pass out when I see how quickly things add up when doing the real house.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I forgot Pee Wee Herman's beloved bicycle! I did picture the Wicked Witch of the West, riding her bicycle furiously down into Leon's loft (child of the 50's!)

IowaCommute, it's great you jumped into the DAT pool. I was scared to death, but your boards are a lot more sophisticated than my first one was. And everyone has been so kind. I don't always have time for these threads, but I would love to see them continue, once in a while.

The thing is, when we're kicking around ideas, there really is no failing. We're all just trying things for fun, and learning. Like brainstorming, with pictures. You can't fail brainstorming. Some ideas stick to the wall, and some don't! It's all fun. And a whole lot cheaper than buying $10,000 worth of wrong stuff, eh?

I have used Olioboard to work on our house, too. (I'm still stuck, but it's not Olioboard's fault.) Once you learn how to move elements around, it's such an easy way to get a visual. Now you have that skill under your belt!

Lavender, I have a double whammy. To really help my house, I'd need the DAT title to be "I have a tight budget and no idea what I'm doing." Of course that won't work (!!) so I'm working on another post to clarify my current confusion.

(Good thing Gardenwebbers are a patient lot.)

I hope there's still a few more kitchens/rooms for this thread? (If anyone is lurking, please jump on in, you can do it.)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Thanks Mudhouse. Yes the ideaboards are great because if I get stuck I can leave it for a bit and when I come back 'it' usually jumps out at me. When I pull together the right things I just know.

Since 'modern farmhouse' is so popular and we may do that as well (at least we're on a working farm though) I would like to see a thread about that, but it can't be all white. Those all white rooms make me feel like I should be in a straight jacket taking the happy pills.

I just read an article about how we need to change our thinking about exercise. They described how people say 'I practice yoga' but never ' I practice exercise' and how rigid and precise as Westerners we are about fitness. If we 'practiced' exercise we would feel less like failures if we had a bad workout and so on.

I suppose you can apply that thinking to anything. The DAT threads are practice and after I posted that first one I went back and tweaked another to post. I even did a board for my mom's kitchen which my parents love. They just cant commit though. Gee that sounds familiar. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Here's another DAT contribution.

Saskia is a single 35+ professional who is renting an apartment that is under the roof in one of the older buildings in Munich, Germany. As is customary, many rental apartments don't have fully equipped kitchens. So, while budget is of concern, she's also confident that she can sell her current (tiny) kitchen to the tenant who may take over her apartment in a couple of years.

She started with two 19th century golden angel lamps (Jugendstil?), purchased on Ebay for 150.00/piece

Under the old vinyl, she discovered original parquet and tile in front of the old oven.

She purchased a 24" Ilve gas range, just below 3,000.00
    Neolith estatuario R01 for counters and backsplash behind range, sink, etc.

Old file cabinets that she had painted at a nearby car store.
    Glass shelves
    Knock-off gold Philippe Starck Lago dining chairs for 88.00/piece

Old chippy drop leaf table

A sunburst clock (1stdibs)
    Vintage gold-white canisters
    and her gold Angel juicer

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I saw this Castlebeck Chandelier from Anthropologie and thought it was one of the strangest light fixtures I'd ever seen. So I designed an ethereal woodland-inspired kitchen around it. I used weathered wood cabinets, stone floors, and soft green La Cornue range and crackle Fireclay backsplash tile. I added branch pulls and soft honed marble countertops to finish off the design.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

For whatever reason, I don't like green (only in nature), but this is a really neat and soothing kitchen. I'd add a little bit of gold, brass, or copper.

As to the purpose of this DAT: While I would never, ever have a light fixture with a tiny chandelier inside, a champagne cork light (or would I?), or golden angels, I find that these exercises help me clarify what I am drawn to in my own kitchen.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

pricklypear I think that last kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!! I agree some brass or something would be very pretty in there. Reminds me of this kitchen I saw on pinterest the other day.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, such an elegant kitchen, and I love the creative details you added to the story. I would not have had a clue how to work with those golden angel light fixtures, and you made it all work perfectly (right down to the Angel juicer!) That rich wooden floor is a wonderful complement to the golden metal finishes in the room, and it would make those glossy white surfaces really pop. The clean lines of the modern choices make the golden angel downright palatable, to me. (Normally, not my cup of tea!)

pricklypearcactus, of course you had me at green. What a crazy fixture! I had to look it up to see the strange details. I think you worked with it very well, and came up with a room that is actually a lot more successful than the fixture itself (imho.) I agree touches of brass or warm metals could be pretty in that room, but I like the cool silver/chromes you used (I think it keeps it more ethereal/mysterious.) I like it.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I like the cooler metals, too. I agree with Mudhouse...more ethereal/mysterious...and more fairy tale. Love that fixture! Great kitchen, Prickly :)

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Love all of these, especially the stories. It's nice to cut loose and go where your imagination and desires take you! Thank you all for your time commitment. I've really enjoyed. Makes you wonder what our houses would look like if budget was no object and we could really take the process where we'd like it to go.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bbtrix, the problem with real life is that we tend to choke and make "safe" choices out of fear of our kitchens being dated, or not appealing to some hypothetical future buyer. There's something very freeing about doing a design where the only consequence is that other posters won't like it (and they'll be polite anyway).

I've gotten behind on my comments. I've started at least 3 posts only to be interrupted. So here it is.

Mudhouse Bicycle: I love the comic book vibe of the loft. So many things to like, but I'm especially fond of the Superman tiles and the bar stools (and the corrugated metal bar). There's a lot going on here but it all works very well together.

Nosoccermom Cherub: Saskia clearly has vision. Her light colors should brighten up her under-roof apartment. I can't say I'm really into cherubs. I think when I saw the cherub I subconsciously feared full-on Rococo, but you thankfully kept your other choices dialed back.

Pricklypear Woodland: The three-tone palette here is very clean and appealing. I don't know if you noticed that we used the same kitchen island pic (in my Forms in Nature post). We were probably using the same search terms (I also looked at that branch pull, but ended up going with something else). Funny how we both started with a forest theme, and even included a common element but ended up with kitchens that are totally different from each other. Maybe I'm getting in the Christmas spirit early, but I think the chandelier looks like it is infested with mistletoe.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Laura and Flynn know their style works best when they meet in the middle. She loves romantic, he likes rustic. She likes traditional, while he prefers more clean lines. What they both can agree on is their love of the outdoors...and a common interest in fairy tales. Darker than Disney, but still with a happy ending :)

So...when it came to their kitchen, they decided to have fun and do something they would both enjoy! When they found this chandelier, they knew it was perfect beginning for their kitchen. With crystal, gold leaves, and lots of movement, Laura told Flynn she would make a beautiful room around it.

From Design Around This

They knew the table would really make the room, but couldn't find anything they liked. Then they found this...what a table! They couldn't resist this for a fairy tale twist!

From Design Around This

Laura knew she wanted chairs with some curves to balance the table, with white leather for the seats.

From Design Around This

A rug with suede inserts (the white leaves) seemed perfect for under the table..

From Design Around This

They balanced the light fixture with dark lower cabinets, light quartz counters, lots of open shelves and modern appliances.

From Design Around This

They found a range that was modern, with just a hint of gold to play off the chandelier...

From Design Around This

A traditional work island (on wheels) and metal stools with wooden seats played off the modern perimeter cabinets.

From Design Around This

When they found this stained glass, they knew it would look great hung in front of the side yard window....and the curves on the bottom match the back of the chairs!

From Design Around This

Lucky enough to have a fireplace in the kitchen....

From Design Around This

they added a few leather and tapestry chairs with a small green leather foot stool. And the room was complete :)

From Design Around This

People always want to know if we really would live in a room like this. I would! Maybe the table is a bit over the top (LOL) but I love Snow White and this reminds me of a bit more realistic version. Lots of natural elements with a feminine twist. I'd add a big bouquet of lilacs and a lavender throw on the tapestry chair...and a few cats sleeping by the fireplace.

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 2:18

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lavender Snow White: That table makes you light fixture seem tame! When I realized what I was looking at (axes), I cracked up. I love the dining chairs--a nice mix of clean lines with a bit of romance. The one element I'm not sure of--I'd have to see it all together, I think--is the rug. I like it, but it strikes me as too modern for the rest of the design.

I'm not particularly fussy about my environment (except when my putty-colored office was completely barren of any decoration--that was depressing), so I could live with many of the designs people have posted. I think I could even live with Cassandra's dining room, although her kitchen was too much for me. I'd want to have more wood in my Brutalist kitchen and abundant natural light (which was not apparent in the board) before I'd like that one.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thanks :) I was trying to bring in more modern...and that rug is cool, but still has the leaves. I think the suede inserts (the white leaves) made me choose it. I envisioned white leather for the chairs and I thought that might bring a bit more rustic feel to the design.

The kitchen sink is very modern (to me! LOL) but I would probably choose a vintage piece. My mom is much more sensible and would point out that stainless steel is easier to clean! I think that sink is actually one of those sinks (can't think of the name, but always talked about on the forum) but stainless would probably be more our style.

With my mom moving in with us...I'm trying to incorporate a bit of her style into this DAT thread. Rustic isn't always masculine. While she likes a bit of softness (mainly plants and Asian accents) I have more of a fairy tale style. I keep teasing her...maybe we could try a Mulan theme! LOL That being said...she and my husband are going to have me putting a more girlie twist on my office space, I think :)

As for all the other kitchens (I have not commented on) I think everyone did a very nice job! I am not good at critiquing, as art is such a personal choice. I will say that of all the designs, the only one I couldn't see myself in is the Gothic/skull one. That one is a bit disconcerting, but memorable! The rest are fun, often colorful and make me think we'd have fun hosting dinner parties together...or at least stopping by for a cup of tea!

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't really think that anyone but Cassandra would find the skull kitchen appealing. It's the kind of kitchen that produces "What were they thinking?!!!" reactions and reduces home values. But even so, new paint, change out the cabinet glass to clear, and replacing the skull fixture would make it much more palatable. I think the counter would have to go, too.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, i was wondering who'd buy that Silestone countertop material.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Lavender, that table is something else, and it's so perfect for you. Love that you found it; it really made me smile. Snow White or the Tin Woodsman, in your board it does have a magical fairy tale twist.

I don't think it's quite Cassandra's style, but just imagine what a different message that table would send, placed in her darkly moody gothic mansion...

I tend to agree with cawaps about the leaf motif rug, although I think the modern lines of the cabinets, counters, and sink might let your couple pull that off. I'm mainly wondering if the pattern would be too busy or bold to go under that table, but I'd have to look at it and squint. Nothing should compete with those remarkable axe heads (!) That's a very fun mix, and I think all of the elements work well together.

I agree about your brutalist kitchen, cawaps. With abundant light, it would be a handsome and strong room. I loved the photo that nosoccermom used in the upper right corner of her gold angel kitchen board, with sunlight streaming through windows and glass shelves. That one picture helped me immediately visualize the other elements as a real space, with beautiful light.

Maybe a future thread should be Design Around Cassandra's Countertops. (I find her a very memorable person, when I think back over this thread.)

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

Swentastic

I recognize that building instantly. The humanities building at UW-Madison.

Went to grad school at UW and walked by that building daily.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

This totally, totally off topic, but is there a reason why the titles are in that order? Native speakers would use HPD.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Are we doing another DAT? :)