Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_treader

Please help me find a local cabinet maker!

dawn_treader
13 years ago

I read great things from people about finding reasonably priced quality cabinets (with installation!) through a local cabinetmaker or craftsman. How do you find a good one?

I'm in Northern VA, and am looking for recommendations, but I think lots of people would like to hear how you found your guy (or guys). Thanks!

Comments (12)

• decornovice
    13 years ago

I'd love to tag along on this post! I'm in central NJ and would also like to receive a recommendation for a local craftsman who will produce quality all wood cabinets at a reasonable price. Thanks

• ricew0
    13 years ago

Google "local cabinet makers". Then ask for references and portfolios.
    Or I found mine through Angie's List.

• User
    13 years ago

dawn treader- We used Warrenton Custom Cabinets located on the southern fringe of NoVa in Fauquier county. They are very reasonably priced and do great work.

• gillylily
    13 years ago

YOu might want to put your location in your subject line as it may warrant more responses.. You may have to start a new thread with the new title but it can't hurt. Unfortunately, I am in MA so I can't help but wishing you good luck in finding someone local.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

I got a recommendation for an Amish cabinetmaker near Cleveland, OH through this site. The member was doing a kitchen in Arlington, VA (member is tooskinneejs - there are beautiful pics of the cabinets under the Building a Home forum). I'm in Cincinnati, OH. Our custom cabinets were just delivered and are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Can't say enough about the quality!!! The cabinet maker is Mark Miller of M.A. Miller, LLC. Phone number: 440-636-5697. As I said above he's near Cleveland but he told us he travels all over the country doing jobs - even out west... so it may be worth a call. Good luck!

• hilarymontville
    13 years ago

@Decornovice - I used Creative Cabinets in Boonton, NJ (northern) but maybe that's not too far for you to travel? They did an outstanding job but I have yet to post pictures - coming soon.

• blubird
    13 years ago

Decornovice,

I sent you an email regarding my custom cab maker out of Freehold/Howell....

Nayy...just a very happy customer.

Helene

• drjgreenberg
    13 years ago

Decornovice: We are in NJ and are going to use www.heardwoodworking.com My architect recommended him for top quality 100% custom. We met with Russell the owner and his price is the same as a local shop quoted me for omega/dynasty. Russell's cabinets include install and there is no tax b/c he installs so it's a capital improvement. He is very passionate about his cabinets which he calls furniture. Love that! You may also remember Smarge- she used a custom guy for built-ins and her bath. If I remember right, she loved him and wished she used him for the kitchen (I have no idea about prices...)

From Smarge in NJ: Our cabinet maker, as I'm sure you've read in other threads, is the #1 favorite sub our contractor used and we have hired him directly for many other projects which we love.
    His name is Rich of Siena Woodworks in Rockaway NJ (973) 495-2000. He is talented, intelligent, calm (valuable on a busy job site!), and very good at planning details in advance. If I knew then what I know now, he absolutely would have done my kitchen (although I am still happy having worked with my KD bc I had no clue when I started planning the kitchen. I used Jeff Kennedy who works out of The Sawhorse in Millburn. I just would have preferred cabinets by Rich instead of the Kountry Kraft I bought.)

• decornovice
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! Your recommendations are really appreciated!

• dawn_treader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for those who had recommendations and tips. I think I will put up a post with my location in the subject line, as gillylily suggested, and see if I can get some more help.

And athomeinva, I'll definitely contact your guys in Warrenton.

• momqs
    13 years ago

We worked with Wellsford Cabinetry in Pottstown PA. A little far, but their prices were less than Home Depot Kraftmaid and we got to customize everything.

We had a great experience.

• diebold1
    13 years ago

We just finished using Old River Cabinets and I believe they have an office in Sterling Va. We could not be any happier with quality and price of the product. They are more on the high end side but are easy to work with and delivered exactly what they promised. Should look into them.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath