Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherryblossom_gw

GE profile advantium oven

cherryblossom
9 years ago

Does anyone have one of these and has used the speed cook to make a cake or muffins? I have a recipe book that came with it but am confused about how to enter in the control panel things that aren't part of the list like cakes and muffins.

Comments (5)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have the Advantium 120 and the cookbook that came with it has muffin recipes on pages 87-89. It says on page 3 of that book that no metal utensils should be used with the speed cook feature except for the 6 cup muffin pan and to follow the directions on pages 87-89 exactly. You can certainly make whatever kind of muffins you like and use the settings that are suggested in the recipes on the pages I mentioned. There are a couple of cake recipes in the book also so you could use those cooking times as guidelines too.
    I have baked cookies and brownies in my Advantium but I used the convection bake mode rather than the speed cook mode.
    If you have the 240 Advantium your recipe book should also give you some recipes that are similar to what you want to bake so the just use the power level and times they suggest for those recipes. If they don't work to your satisfaction adjust them until it works for you.
    If you google Advantium recipes I believe you will find some forums or discussion boards with more info.
    Good luck in getting to know your Advantium.

• cherryblossom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks badger gal. Mine is a profile 120 over the range. I got it about a year ago. I've made whole chickens and was very impressed. I've proofed dough only once and again was impressed. We've made cinnamon rolls from frozen. Most of the time we reheat stuff. The muffins I made today the texture was lovely, they were a little pale, they probably needed more time. I just browned then under quick broil in my regular oven.

I did get the recipe from page 89. This recipe is meant to be made under speed cook. I fumbled with the control panel until I gave up and had to go to the option where you would enter "my recipes". In order to gain access to setting upper and lower lamps with ought being forced to select a miscellaneous item from the speed cook menu. Because muffins isn't there to be selected.

The same thing happened when we made pimple upside down cake. I just chose pie and changed the upper and lower lamp numbers to match the recipe.

For the muffins I went to > speed cook > my recipe > new recipe > 14 min > ul=8, ll=8, m=2, metal tray, 6 cup muffin pan went in the oven.

Is everyone else also getting speed cook recipes from the book and finding out that there is no preset selection for them and being forced to figure a way around it. I'm thinking something is wrong with my oven or I'm missing something.

Please tell me have you done any of their 3 muffin recipes using speed cook and can you give me the steps you took to enter the recipes upper, lower lamp numbers and microwave (in the muffins case).

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Cherryblossom to enter the recipe upper and lower lamp numbers you need to press the custom speed cook button. It then asks you the cook time, upper lamp setting and lower lamp setting. And tells you to use the metal tray and press start.
    Remember the settings you used and if they work out to be good you can enter those setting and the name of the item using the favorite recipes button. It will then be saved. Then the next time you go to make muffins or whatever you only have to press the favorites button and it should be there. I have saved several recipes this way.

The step by step directions for adding a recipe to the favorites button are listed on p. 17 of my owner manual ( may be a different page in your owners manual) If you can't find them in your book, let me know and I can write them out for you.

Hope this helps.

• jkayepierce826
    9 years ago

Are both of you happy overall with this oven? Thanks

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    9 years ago

Cherryblossom,
    You said "pimple upside-down cake" darn that autocorrect LOL.
    Casey