Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfmomoxo

Finished Quartzite & Wenge kitchen (long) ...Oohlala

sfmomoxo
13 years ago

Dear fabulous GWers,

Ah, I so wish that I found you earlier on! The kitchen has been mostly done for about a month now, but life has continued to be a bit hectic. So, FINALLY, here are some photos. A million kazillion thanks to all who have helped calm my frayed nerves and put my worst fears to rest.

As of this writing, I am still hoping that one of you will have the perfect inspiration for a paint color. Yes, we had the kitchen painted. Twice. Yup, and it is STILL wrong, still too yellow...but this time with a vague greenish tinge. Funny, the things you don't pick up on even with those big poster-sized paint chips! (FYI, it is C2 Parchment). I truly believe that the right color will help everything pop and be elegant and all that. I am so open to receiving any of your incredible ideas.

I'm also still unsure about adding some pendants over the counter. I'm afraid they'll clash with the light hanging over the table (just about 5 feet away). Yet, something still feels a bit unfinished...and I'm not sure what. I eventually hope to find some art or decorative objects, but I'm not sure if something else is needed as well.

Since I have never remodeled before, I have learned a ton. Yes, the hard way. The designer wanted our upper cabinets and bookshelves to be a bright green or mango. We had them remade in Wenge...and I'm glad we did. Here are some of the goodies you will see in the following pictures (sorry that some of them look a bit dark...)...and perhaps a few comments to go with some of them.

Counters: Honed White Opal Quartzite. I love how the light shines through the edges and the spots of luminescence. However, it etches like crazy. I plan on trying out the Scotchbrite trick that marble owners have mentioned.

Cabinets: I refaced our old oak cabinets in Wenge.

Backsplash: Walker Zanger Mesa. It's half irridescent glass and half stone.

Floor: Heated (oh, it is SO yummy!) Broadway ceramic tile in Titiano. I LOVE our floor. The grey picks up the quartzite and the warm edges compliment the Wenge.

Sink: Franke. I wouldn't have gone with such a huge sink in retrospect.

Ovens & Dishwasher: Miele. Love them. Worth every (gulp) cent.

Cooktop: Jenn-Air downdraft

Fridge: 15-year old Sub-Zero...it better last.

Faucet: KWC

I also think I'll post a picture of the adjoining dining room and living room, as we're hoping to paint the whole floor...perhaps you've got some ideas...

Comments (36)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yay--I get to be the first to say how awesome your kitchen is!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I come play? LOL

Stupendous!

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Love it! As to your comment about your sink, I think it's perfect. I love a corner sink (I have one myself), and I cannot imagine you'd want to go any smaller.

Beautiful job. What is the source of the wenge you used to re-face the cabinets?

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

It's beautiful. Love the tiles all the way up, and I think the sink seems just right as well. What a fabulous view too.

Hard to tell about the wall color, but did you try C2 Noodle? It's a bit more beige and very neutral/contemporary. A lighter color is the just off-white Lily (also C2), also very contemp but warm.

Very nice work, you'll enjoy it completely.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

That is one gorgeous kitchen! I love your counters and backsplash. Just enough sparkle without being gawdy. Your sink does not look too large at all. I think the best thing is those windows and that view. WOW!

Enjoy and congrats on being done!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and I love the view and I see what you mean by it feeling a little unfinished. I have a corner sink and really like it and yours is not too big.
    I'm just going to throw some ideas out: paint colour - look outside. Your wenge cabinets are the base for the space, your irridescent backsplash seems to mimic the trees in pic #3 and #9 - the ones with the small leaves that seem to flip over and so is there a colour outside that you could use in a lighter tone to coordinate the space so as to make the view a real part of the space. Try BM CC-520. Keep the green and get rid of the yellow.
    Pendants - we have pendants very close to our table light on a peninsula just like yours -probably about 5' and use them as a decorative feature rather than for illumination. How about using your glass windows as inspiration and getting some small clear glass ones. I saw some on someones pics that were blue glass (although they also come in plain glass) and they reminded me of hankerchiefs floating down. Maybe someone will remember whose they are?
    You have a lot of height above the puck lights - so is there something you can put up there maybe a couple of brightly coloured tall vases (I know - dust collectors) or a big print that you can lean against the wall up there. . I think that space needs to be filled in.
    Your space is so elegant and delightfully simple (in a good way) so don't over embellish it.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I absolutley love everything about your kitchen. And, I'm right with byron on finding your inspiration for color outside those gorgeous windows. Maybe something in a silver/sagey/blue-green. Buy the sample pots and paint right on the walls. I had 11 pots and painted all over the wall space. It's amazing how the color changes in different lighting and throughout the day.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Beautiful. I'm surprised at myself, because I'm usually uncomfortable with sharp modern edges, but that room is so serene, so peaceful, just gorgeous.

For the light over the counter, I would stay high - it would be a real shame to put anything in the way of that view, especially a vertical thing. Something very simple that echoes the existing lamp in either color or form but hangs above the view would look nice, if you need the light. If you don't need the light, don't bother.

As far as finish, my mind keeps trying to soften the lines. But filling in that triangle wall would detract from the serenity. A green plant in a chocolate colored pot on the counter would be gorgeous, add something rounder, and link to the greenery outside.

As to paint color, something similar but a touch more sage gray-green and less yellow would be great. Or you could try to pick up a tan tone from the floor.

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

This kitchen is lovely! It has such a cool vibe to it.
    I think that something like driftwood or a 3D piece of art on the window wall would really give that finished look.

As for paint, I am agreeing with a silver sage color but also wonder what the mango color you mentioned would do. I'd be messing with photoshopping until something felt right.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

WOW, I think you did a fantastic job. I love your quartzite and am probably glad I didn't see it sooner (before I ordered my gray quartz) or I'd want some.

I'm not sure, but the pendant that Byronroad might be referring to is the one in the link below. I posted a picture of it a few weeks ago. They are not hung yet but will be soon. I'm just getting my counters installed today. I needed a color pop in what will be a mostly gray kitchen. The lights come in two different types of glass, so be sure to look it both.

Thanks for giving us a peek at your fabulous space.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Jezebel Gallery

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That is gorgeous -- I think the idea to gable the end of the bar countertop was a good one -- it gives you the modern look without having too much stone (that you would have had if you did the end of the peninsula as well). I would kill for that view!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

I really, really, really like your kitchen! As a period/farmhouse/cottage/country kitchen lover, yours convinces me that, in the highly unlikely event there is ever another a kitchen remodel in my future, it will be modern! Woo hoo! I'm so loving your choice of finishes -- from the Walker Zanger Mesa tile, to the quartzite to the floor (heated no less!) and wenge. Just beautiful! And, of course, those views are priceless! I think I might understand why your color instincts have been steering you to the soft yellow. The wenge is such a strong, "masculine", anchoring color and my sense is that a much lighter "feminine" color on the walls not only ratchets up the impact of the wenge but also enlarges the space. Wish I could see the specific colors in your Mesa tile, but I'm thinking your wall color may be right there . . . in a beigey, taupey color neutral that continues with the softer feel of the quartzite and tile but also complements the earthier hints of color in the floor tile. Decorative artwork could definitely give you pleasing pops of color to finish off a spectacular kitchen. Although, I must say that one dark stylish vase in the corner is perfect and needs to stay exactly where it is. Great job!!

• sedeno77
    13 years ago

Beautiful spaces and a view to die for!!!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi sfmomo...

I love it! You made some really great choices and I think it all goes so perfect together.

If I were you I would add some pendants over the counter...something simple that will compliment your other modern looking fixture.

I have a very similar color scheme in my kitchen. For paint I used Waverly paint in Natural. I am a very neutral loving person who tires easily of colors. The other suggestions of greens could very well be the way to go, but I thought I would offer you another option. You can see my kitchen in the FKB under Coming Soon Kitchens to see if Waverly Natural is to your liking.

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!!

KA:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Waverly Natural

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

sfmomoxo, kudos!!! Your home is wonderful and your kitchen vision absolutely on target. Glad you trusted your instincts and not the KD. Don't second guess your sink choice. Your Franke fits the space perfectly, and a large sink will prove to be helpful on occasion and will be a plus should you ever want to sell.

IMO, please don't clutter or candy up your serene space. Like you, in public spaces I bring in color through art and accessories although I enjoy color in bedrooms. We even have a similar Dogon (or is it Toma?). I also find picking the right warm white without pink or green undertones a chore since what works in one home, or even one room in the same house, may be awful in the next. Unfortunately that means buying too many samples.

Hard to tell from your photos, but would the LR/DR color work in the kitchen or is it too tan? Why do you want to repaint the LR/DR? What are you hoping to bring to those rooms if you changed the color? In our most recent house before this one, we had north light on the Potomac which I found tough to deal with. I used a DK white (don't remember the #) and four shades of BM off-whites on the main floor. The C2 and EK colors seemed too bright in that house. The lightest I wound up with was BM Linen White which was a good warm white in a kitchen without much natural light. Bone White was darker and worked well for the adjacent FR's wall of glass along the river, and one of the HC whites was a good malleable, toasty color in the south facing foyer. The trim was FB Pointing which I loved. It wasn't easy to come up with a good flow, but worth the effort. We're in a different region now and I have to start the hunt again this weekend for the right tone off-white for our kitchen/ family room.

Back to your questions: I don't think you space feels unfinished, but if you find the right sculpture, art or tribal baskets you'll know. I have a Shona on my counters along with an orchid. Minimalist, but works for me. I wouldn't install pendants as they would detract from your fixture and the view. "Less in more" resonates with me for daily living, although the layered look can be wonderful and one I can appreciate when done expertly in someone else's space.

Enjoy your fabulous home!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

sfmomoxo- the lights that I was referring to are the ones that wizardnm mentioned by jezebel gallery. Thanks wizardnm. They remind me a little of your dining room fixture and if you wanted to they might help to tie the spaces together. You have so much to work with in your kitchen. Have fun.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I want to pet those counters. The corner window behind the sink is fantastic. Congrats!

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

It's spectacular! Love the colors, love those windows, and I love your furniture!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Ohlala indeed! It is gorgeous, what a beautiful job you've done. I love it all, the counters, the layout of the two rooms, the vases, the bowl, the round table, the ceiling, the view ... . I better stop. But that corner sink is wonderful too.

Way to go. Congratulations and enjoy!

• sfmomoxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dear friends,
    Thank you for all your incredibly positive feedback. I do love the ides of a sagey green for the walls of that gorgeous Waverly color...I hadn't heard of Waverly prior to this. I will check out the suggested BM and C2 colors and get those little pots and get busy!!!!

As far as the Wenge, a local cabinet maker sourced it and made the cabinet doors. I'm really happy with what he did.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I love how you took your backsplash up high and also how you took your countertop down to the floor--very cool.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is great and everything I can see in the photos is great, but your view - now that is wonderful! Your home is magazine worthy. How much fun it must be to work in that kitchen.

• juniork
    13 years ago

After reading your write-up, I was ready for anything, but after seeing the pix, my first thought was "WHOA!" And then I saw the view, and thought "WOW!!!" Seriously, the kitchen and the view are just perfect for each other. Absolutely perfect.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

WOWOWOWOWOW!

That is a show-stopper kitchen with a spectacular view! What a way to greet your day!

Congratulations, it's fantastic!

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Your serene beautiful space is the perfect counterpoint to the pulse-racingly splendid view. My only criticism is that the sink should have been BIGGER, so that you bathe in it while feasting your eyes on Mother Nature, then leap onto a nice warm floor with your wet tootsies.

Your decisions have been great. Congrats.

• stogniew
    13 years ago

this is a great kitchen- lovely space.

I have a question- how much taller is your elevated counter that faces the table area in comparison to your cooktop counter?

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

It turned out so well!! (You were concerned about the BS a while back, right?) Man, your kitchen and views are paradise!! Tres jealous!! ;) Enjoy!!!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Oh wow I love all your spaces. Your kitchen is gorgeous! Whole heartedly agree with the previous poster who said don't "candy up" your space. The materials, textures and awesome view are so beautiful and decorative in their own right and work so well together that I'd skip pendants or any other light fixture. I think they'd be a distraction. At least live with it awhile and enjoy the space and the lighting you have including the natural light.
    I think a pale sagey green wall color would be beautiful in your kitchen.

As for your other rooms I love the look you have. It appears like you get a lot of natural light, and the neutral color of your walls and furniture really makes the textures of your furniture and art pieces pop. It looks like the home of someone who's collected over time and displays pieces with a story rather than "decorated" and everything fits naturally. Yet it still looks comfortable and inviting. I want to go there and touch everything!:>)

I can't stop looking at the light over your dining room table. Can you please provide some details and a source for that?

• houseful
    13 years ago

You know how people sometimes say, "it's not my taste, but it's pretty..." or whatever. I usually don't say anything about my preference; I just comment on a job well done or something. However, this time I have to say, contemporary is not my taste, but your kitchen ROCKS!!! I would absolutely love to live there!!! Every detail is seems so well thought through. Can we see more? A master bathroom maybe?

• chinchette
    13 years ago

Am I the only one who noticed the awesome piece on the dining room table!? I love that! I love your kitchen as well as your dining room with your choice of art. The light over the table is killer. I'll take it all! With your taste in art, you'll probably be finding interesting things for the kitchen as you go, all in good time.

• marytwit
    13 years ago

I'm with Island -- it's breathtaking just the way it is. The first thing that caught my eye was not the finishes but the simplicity and elegance of the lines and the volume of the forms. (Particularly the lights.)

That rarely happens on the forum -- usually there's too much going on in a kitchen to appreciate the lines and the shapes and how it all works as a harmonious whole. You have a great eye!

Unless you need pendants for more light -- or the feel of the room isn't as unitary as the photos suggest -- which I doubt -- I'd skip the pendants.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - what a beautiful kitchen. I love you backsplash and counters (sorry that they etch) and how it flows to the floor. I agree with many of he other posters - less is better in your kitchen. I love your accessories - especially the bowl on the dining room table.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

wowowowowowow! That's one rockin' kitchen.

And I love that awesome piece of art on your dining room table (no, you're not the only one who spotted it, chinchette).

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Yes the piece on the dining table is fantastic. That's one of the things I was talking about when I said I wanted to go there and touch everything! LOL

• sfmomoxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're all too fabulous. So thrilled you like our modern/tribal aesthetic. The piece on the dining room table is truly wonderful. It was a gift from friends who went to Bali. Yeah, pretty incredible. The fixture hanging over the table is fiberglass (it so looks like frosted glass) and was made by an artist in Mexico. I measured the heights of the counters...the raised bar is 44 1/2, the cooktop counter is 36 1/2. And, oh yes, I was the one totally freaked out about her backsplash. Uh huh.

I thought I'd include a couple of "befores." As you see, we didn't change the layout, just the surfaces. If I could only pick out a paint color...

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Even more wow after seeing the befores. How fantastic that you didn't have to blow a bundle changing layout and could maximize your $$$ on gorgeous finishes. Surrounding the windows with those beautiful mosaic tiles really made a HUGE difference. What a way to frame and draw the eye to that view!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

An oasis!