Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bickybee_gw

How deep are your open shelves?

bickybee
13 years ago

We have installed a unit of open shelves that is 13" deep. My plates are 10 1/2"

I think I like the look of open shelves when they are fairly shallow. They look less cluttered with less on them. I'm thinking of shaving an inch or two off the back of mine.

My shelves are adjacent the dining room and will be used for everyday dishes, bowls, glasses, etc.

How deep are your open shelves?

Here is a link that might be useful: open shelving cabinet

Comments (15)

• bickybee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Sabjimata.

I'm thinking I'm going to take an inch off the back, replace the wood behind (because it will probably get ruined in the process) with something I can paint.

Glad you think they will look great, but I'm not so sure and feel like this change will make them look less boxy and matchy-matchy.

• User
    13 years ago

Your fix sounds like a great deal of work for an inch of change. Is the current back not paintable? If not, could you try some sort of inserts first? Maybe a wooden or foam board in each section covered with fabric or wallpaper with a nice texture, funky pattern, or whatever strikes your fancy. You could use spacers behind so the boxes aren't so deep, and trade out the covering over the years to give it a new look now and again.

• bickybee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mnerg, those are some good ideas and would be fine fixes if it weren't that I want to minimize the look of the whole box because I feel it sticks out too far into the room and blocks the view of the windows next to it. I'm linking to another photo so you can get the idea. To the left of the box are windows and to the right are sliding glass doors.

I think I would have preferred to have shelves mounted not contained in a box, so the whole thing is more airy. But the box is built though not yet mounted. In the photo, it is sitting on top of a box so we could figure out how high we want it.

If I'm going to do something about it, now's the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: another view of open shelf cabinet

• byronroad
    13 years ago

I think that no matter the depth of the shelves, as long as you have the frame of the cabinet it is going to appear boxy and not have the airy effect that you want. Are both sides of that cabinet just shelving or is one side going to have doors?
    There are a variety of options - take off the back and paint the wall in a striking colour that shows off your plates. I'm assuming you have nice ones which is why you want to display them. Take off the top and leave it open. Start again with true floating shelves which is maybe the look that you are after.

• bickybee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Byronroad, starting again with floating shelves is the option we are exploring now.

We've taken the shelf unit down and are considering frosted glass shelves with brackets fabricated by a metal worker who's on site working on a couple other projects. The brackets would be unique and add interest and the frosted glass would keep it all light and airy.

We've also removed a narrow cabinet to the left of the windows on the other wall. This cabinet was also bothering me and we're considering glass shelves here as well, though I'm also thinking an area for hanging pots might be useful, either on the wall or on the side of the refrigerator cabinet.

Here are photos of the before and after of removing the cabinets. What do you think?

With cabinets:

Without cabinets:

• byronroad
    13 years ago

What do I think? WOW! Is what I think. What a beautiful space. And congratulations for having the guts to know that you were steering away from your vision and doing something about it. I can see how you would have started to feel hemmed in by those two cabinets.
    I think the floating shelves with the frosted glass is a great idea. I would make sure that they are safety/tempered(?) glass and I'm wondering if they could be rimmed in the same metal as your brackets to control chipping of both the glass and your plates. Your space, to me is quite contemporary and with the windows the glass is a better option. (I think)
    As far as the smaller cabinet by the fridge is concerned. Yes, you could do more shelves. But, personally I would wait until more things are in to see how that area develops and fits in with your idea of airyness. It isn't very big and might be a good spot for some "personality" - a place to hang some artwork, a unique clock, a big vase with changing flowers.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Really lovely choices in your house.

I'd use it. That's the perfect location for dishes and a good depth for platoons of cups and glasses. But I think I'd prefer its top to match the top line of the windows and doors and I'd build it down to the counter by putting some shallow drawers or an appliance garage underneath. Or even build in a small micro.

In the scale of your kitchen, its going to be in proportion. I think its just the shock of seeing it there. says the person who is forever adjusting stuff at the last minute

• rexroat
    13 years ago

What a great space! I think shelves as opposed to cabinets will keep it feeling airy and casual.

Hope you don't mind but I looked at your other photos...would you mind sharing the make/model of the console sink in the bath with the wonderful tile?

Thanks! Rexroat

• pps7
    13 years ago

Wow, what a great space. I much prefer it without the cabinets. I think open shelves would be great and would preserve the airy feel. Ours are 11".

• User
    13 years ago

Ah, now I see what you mean. So try the shelves, and use that box unit to hold books or something in another room. If the shelves don't work out for you, you can install the cabinet later.

My few shelves, if I remember correctly, are going to be 11", but aren't slated to hold dishes. They're mainly for cookbooks, with some space reserved for a telephone, cell phone charging, and a place to set wallet and keys. (Now why is it that no one here ever shows a picture of a phone in their kitchen? Has everyone but me given up their landline? That's a question for a new thread, I suppose.)

• bickybee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bmore, you and my designer think alike. After deciding at the end of the day to create frosted glass shelves on metal supports, I arrived the next day to find a new box, taller and wider taking up most of the space. No appliance garage though.

The box is 6" deep with shelves that cantilever out another 6". I had to stand and think about it awhile but I do think this one will work. The shallower box makes the unit less heavy and the shelves are a good depth for everyday dishes, cups, glasses, etc. I don't have a picture to post just yet.

Rexroat, are you asking about the corner sink in the blue bathroom? That bathroom doesn't have tile. The walls are concrete but I could see that you might think they are tile. I will have to find out where the sink came from, if that's the one you mean.

I didn't mean to post all those photos on Flikr. I'm just learning how to upload from my iPhoto file and I guess I clicked something that uploaded a bunch of pictures indiscriminately. I'll have to go in there and do some editing, LOL!

pps7, WOW! What a lovely kitchen. I love the mix of the rough wood shelves with the clean lines of the other materials. I looks like a calm and peaceful space. You must love it! I like how the shelves float on the wall without visible support. I think we would have to rip out dry wall at this point to do that but it's a great look.

Thanks everybody for your comments.

• rexroat
    13 years ago

bickybee-
    Funny, both bathrooms have blue in them...I was referring to the bathroom with the patterned walls and the sink with the the metal legs. Don't go to any trouble finding info, just thought if you knew off the top of your head. :)
    rexroat

• bickybee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rexroat, I'm so sorry. I thought I replied to this back in December. That sink is by Duravit called Happy D.

Here is a link to a photo of my finished open shelf cabinet. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out to imbed this photo from my Flikr account.

Here is a link that might be useful: open shelf cabinet final version

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow! That is a much better cabinet for your space than what you started with. The extra jut of the shelves are quite interesting. Very nice ;)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!