Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Do I need soap at the prep sink?

lalithar
11 years ago

I expect to mainly use my prep sink for washing fruits, veggies, rinsing prep tools and dishes before they go I to the dish washer. No meat will be handled here. Do I need a soap dispenser? The faucet will need 2 holes (kohler karbon) and I need a hole for the filtered water faucet. I have not had a prep sink before so I am not 100% sure about what makes sense here.

Comments (13)

• taggie
    11 years ago

Yes, for sure you'll want hand soap at your prep sink.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Yes, for sure you'll want hand soap at your prep sink.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

OMG, yes! That's where the gucky stuff is and where I wash my hands the most -- after handling meat, eggs, doughs, the dogs dishes, etc. and sometimes washing a dish or pan I need to reuse quickly.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Absolutely!! I use the soap dispenser at my prep sink many more times a day than at my cleanup sink. I do all my cooking (prep and putting fire to food) either directly next to or directly across from the sink. I do everything there except clean-up. Crack an egg? Hands get raw egg on them most times. Wash at prep sink. Mixing up the sour cream and scallions? Oops. Got some on my fingers. Wash at prep sink. Etc. You get the idea.

Will you not handle meat there because you are vegetarian/vegan, or because you will do that chore at the cleanup sink?

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok.. I get the picture:) The anti-holes monster clouded my senses there for a bit...Any suggestions for a soap dispenser that will look OK with the kohler karbon?

Breezy- vegetarian.. but we eat dairy and eggs. So I can do hand soap in the prep sink and dish soap at the cleanup sink.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I found this old thread of a Karbon with soap dispenser. It looks an awful lot like my Elkay.

You definitely need something with uber clean lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krgon with dispsnser

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi breezy,

Thanks so much for digging this up. That is the only picture that came up for me as well.. All the other OTF installs don't seem to have soap..
    What is your Elkay model number? I quite like it. Also where is the dispensing hole.. At the end facing you or on the bottom? Can't tell from the picture. Also did the NeverMt setup need any tweaks with the Elkay?

Lalitha

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Mine are the Elkay Gourmet linked below. Hole is on the bottom, just behind the tip.

I remember I had to ask DH to read the specific directions on the NeverMt for the Elkay when he couldn't get it installed correctly. Once he did, it was easy. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Elkays

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Use Dawn for both cleanup and prep sink soap. It's fine for hands, sanitizes, and will wash either dishes, veggies, or hands without you having to think about which it is you need.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

You will be surprised how often you actually wash a few dishes in your prep sink (especially if someone else is working at the cleanup sink.) And as Breezy said, you'll do a quick hand wash/rinse there many times as you work.

As live wire oak suggested, keep a mild dish soap in the prep sink dispenser (equipped with a Never MT thanks to GW) and use it to wash hands as well as stray dishes. For me, a dispenser is even more important here than at the clean up sink, partly because I REALLY don't want a bottle of soap sitting out on the work counter.

Unfortunate, perhaps, that you will need so many holes there, but don't omit this one. I don't think it will look too crowded if you keep things symmetrical and clean-lined.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

I have a forest of holes adjacent to my prep sink, and my kitchen has a different look than you are going after, but I really wouldn't want to give up any of them. The prep sink gets used more than the clean up sink, and has instant hot, soap dispenser, faucet with deck mounted handle, air switch and Mockett (electrical). It is jammed into too little space but works well, for vegies, clean up, hand washing, tea/pasta etc. Don't compromise on the things you need to make the work space work better, even if you have some qualms about the look. It will be worth figuring this out :)

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I don't have soap at the prep sink, and wish I did! I also use skin-friendly liquid dish soap in our dispenser, so it works for hands or dishes.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Claybabe- thanks for the encouragement to stay focused on the function. I often worry that I am too function over form focused and my kitchen is going to end up looking very hodge podge.

breezy - thanks for the elkay link. I just ordered 4 of them to use in the kitchen and the baths.. Sinks in my house shall be NeverMT of soap!